GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Cant seem to find how to remove the lid from the right front pocket. Any one have any info?
Is it just the lid you want to remove? The entire pocket and lid comes out as a unit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
right pocket

In order to remove anything to do with the right or left pocket you must first remove the plastic strip alond the edge of the shelter. Start at the bottom with a small straight blade screw driver and when you get the bottom out gently pull up and twist the strip. After the first tabs come loose you will see how they are held in place and you will see how to safely remove it the rest of the way. Then you can do what you want with the pocket door. jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Right fairing pocket removal

This is taken right out of the service manual: As noted above, the whole pocket comes out as a unit. The removal of the opener cable is straight forward.

RIGHT FAIRING POCKET
Insert the ignition key into the lock cylinder and
open the fairing pocket lid by turning the key
clockwise.
Remove the four trim clips by pushing the center
pins in.
Disconnect the opener cable and remove the right
fairing pocket.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
He's talking about an 02, the lid is not attached to the pocket on an 02, that was changed in 06, Honda made it one unit, but I think the trim has to come off to do it.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's talking about an 02, the lid is not attached to the pocket on an 02, that was changed in 06, Honda made it one unit, but I think the trim has to come off to do it.
Joe is correct.
The pocket comes out with no problem. I want to get the lid off the pocket to mount a ram mount ball setup to the pocket lid for my Spot unit. I do not like items mounted on the reservoir lids for the brakes or clutch. I want to remove the lid so I can make a solid backing for the ram ball mount to secure to thru the pocket lid. The Spot has to see the sky so I figured that is the best place for it. Almost seems I will have to remove the top to get to the lid attachments.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I believe that lid is screwed to the black vinyl part of the top shelter...
from the bottom or some type of tricky clip holding the hinge in place. So, the top shelter has to come off.

I always changed the whole vinyl part on my repairs and mods because the lids are so hard to remove.

Joe is correct.
The pocket comes out with no problem. I want to get the lid off the pocket to mount a ram mount ball setup to the pocket lid for my Spot unit. I do not like items mounted on the reservoir lids for the brakes or clutch. I want to remove the lid so I can make a solid backing for the ram ball mount to secure to thru the pocket lid. The Spot has to see the sky so I figured that is the best place for it. Almost seems I will have to remove the top to get to the lid attachments.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Dale is right.. The lids are a royal PIA to get off, and then back on with out breaking the little thingie on the underside. Use Velcro to hold it down to the lid. :shrug:

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
Joe is correct.
I would think you could easily do this with out removing the lid from the pocket. Maybe I don't follow. Just measure the inside lid and make your support bracket

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Alternately you could put it on one of Jon's Radar Detector Dash Mounts, where it would get a really good signal.

Dayle is right.. The lids are a royal PIA to get off, and then back on with out breaking the little thingie on the underside. Use Velcro to hold it down to the lid. :shrug:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Fairng pocket

Does anyone know how to get into the right fairing pocket when the cable that opens it comes disconnected?

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Does anyone know how to get into the right fairing pocket when the cable that opens it comes disconnected?
I've fished in through the Heated Grip Control Panel hole with a ben piece of wire, but it's faster and easier to remove the top shelter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts