GL1800Riders Forums banner

poi's

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  knklehd1 
#1 ·
Has anyone figured out how to fix the find by name in poi's when updating with a non Honda img .

#2 ·
On my 2017 it was a matter of renaming the jcv file to match the original file name. I believe there is a config file where the name of the jcv file is referenced. That has to match, either rename the file or change the reference in the config file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Look at the files on the SD card you are trying to update. You should see one folder named "Garmin". Open that folder and you will see sub-folders. One folder will be named "JCV". Be careful as some folders from units like the Zumo 660 & 665 are different. One contains one JCV file while the other contains 2 files.
Delete the JCV folder and replace it with the FOLDER that came from the unit you got the new map image file from.
You don't have to rename anything.
You can also easily test if it is correct. First try searching for POIs you are interested in. They should appear immediately.
Go on a route on an interstate that has a turn-of to a minor highway. You should see an actual pop-up photograph in color with lane arrows at the bottom and two countdowns on top. One wll be in distance to exit and the other a descending countdown to the turn.
On minor intersections the old fashion turn symbols with distance will appear.
If you don't see all the above, you have an error.
No files need to be renamed. The GPS unit knows what image to show for a turn based on the call-up from the map image file.

#4 · (Edited)
knklehd1,

You don't say what year your bike is. My '07 uses the CF card and is limited by how much it will read from the card. I currently have a 4gb card in it, but it will only read 2gb from it. Even with the 4.9 firmware, it's still a limit of the system. The older bikes from before 2008 are the same way. 2009 started using the SD cards so there may be room for fixing the issue. However, I'm not a programmer so I don't know for sure. I'll be interested if you figure it out.

#6 ·
I have a 08 and have 2019 maps on my system. I couldn't put all 48 states on the card to keep it under 2gb I left out the extreme top left corner of the country living on the east coast it's no big deal. I have to look at the gmapprom.img file and see if the files are there and if so then find them in the gmapsupp.img and update them in the gmapprom.img. I wont have time till next week to even start looking at this stuff. I will keep you posted on my findings.

#7 ·
If you want all of the USA try using a 4gb CF card. You can put about 2.050 gb mapset on the 4gb card. Any larger and the mapset wont load into your nav .That is enough to put all of the USA 2019.1 mapset in your bike. Once you load a mapset in your bike do a search by address. If the the search display goes gray the mapset is too large.

#9 ·
knklehd1,

The .img file that I pull from my 660 unit is only about 1.3Gb in size even after it's unlocked. I have no problem with loading the maps on the bike, but the POI search still won't work on mine. I have an '07 unit, but I just find the address for a business on my phone and then put that in the search and it finds it. I'll have to do some more investigation to see what's going on with it.

#10 ·
Griff, that's what I'm doing now and have for a while now. Im trying to look and see what's in the img file and compare the two from an original copy and my 19 file I can see some differences but something's telling me it's also in the firmware on where to look and the file name. I don't want to edit the firmware file and brink my gps so i think I'll leave well enough alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.