GL1800Riders Forums banner

What is the coldest temp you would ride in ???

• 70 degrees

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50 to 60 degrees

• 40 degrees

• 30 degrees

• 20 degrees

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now feel like I am a member of the Polar Bear Goldwing Club.
I left home this morning, heading for work, it was 19 degrees.
I got to work and the palms of my hands and butt were nice and toasty, but the rest of me was frozen.

Is there a Polar Bear club for idiots that rifde when its well below freezing ??

8) 8)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yellow Streak, such a group actually exists! Check out the Rounders website. If you're out riding in 19 degree weather, then you're a Rounder!!! I do like the "Polar Bear Goldwing Club" name though!!!

http://www.yearroundriders.com/

·
Registered
462 Posts
I voted 20 degrees because I have ordered a full set of Gerbings and have a flip face helmet that is waiting for the Edsets to arrive. Hope that will allow 20 degree riding without getting too cold.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I clicked 20 because I have ridden for 2 1/2 hours straight when it was 14 degrees outside. I had a snowmobile suit, boots, gloves and face mask on. Never got real cold either.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The coldest I have riden in was -1F. Was only for about 20 miles. That was on a 750 Nighthawk, no windshield no nuthin. We only had a motorcycle and a car. I worked M-8 and she worked 8-4. I thought it less painful to ride all winter than to wake her up and ask for a ride :lol:
I will generally ride in any temperature as long as the streets are clear. Don't have any great gear just don't mind cold too much.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Just a reminder for all.. Just because you rode once in 20deg doesn't mean that you can always do it!! The human body is a funny thing (at least mine is) your resistance to cold can vary with a large number of variables, food, humidity, degree of rest etc... Sometimes all the thermal and electric gear in the world won't keep you alert and cozy for more than 3 or 4 hours on the open road..
It's quite dangerous to ride when you start feeling the cold.. Please be careful and always plan long trips of winter riding for a day or two cut short due to the cold...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have just under an hour commute to work and just over an hour home every day, thanks to Dallas Traffic.
This mornings 19 degree temp was the coldest I have ridden in, street bike that is, I have been on ice and snow on dirt bikes before, that was always "bone Shattering Fun." when I was younger.. bones dont heal the way they used to.
My main worry was the morons around here (Richardson Tx) that think they need to water their lawns and streets during the winter...
those ice patches will get ya...
Other than that, I was just fine, the Crisp Cold air was easy to breathe.
it's like standing in front of the refridgerator with the freezer door open, on a hot summer day, and just breathing in the cold air.... ahhhh so refreshing...

No matter what the temp ... Ride Safely .. 8)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I ride in the 20's a lot. Often times all day trips. I use a snowmobile suit and am never cold. No electric heat at all. My limiting factors are that I hate to get salt on a bike this expensive. The other is when below freezing I worry about ice patches. Poor drainage is a problem on our roads here, so I avoid going out when it is dark. When I was young I rode a 750 Kaw, and a 650 Yamaha in the snow everyday. Usually a bit drunk to boot.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I routinely ride in the 30s and often in the 20s. But I live in New Mexico with low humidity. In the 30s I usually don't turn on the electrics unless I am on the interstate. But about 200 miles from home on a Bun Burner Gold I stopped for gas at about 4 AM. I had the electrics on and was shivering. The temperature was 46 degrees. 150 miles later I stopped for gas again at 6 or 6:30 AM in the sunshine. My teeth were almost chattering. I was pretty well exhausted and that made me feel very cold. It's a good warning sign of fatigue.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
It doesn't usually get that cold here, but I almost always ride to work. The last couple of weeks it hasn't gotten any warmer than 24° in the morning.

A

·
0 Posts
I voted 20 degrees, but I would have to say that the temperature really depends on the situation.

The coldest I have rode in was 7 degrees. I felt that was pretty cold, as I was on a Yamaha 750 Virago.

On the Wing, I prefer riding in weather above 50 degrees. Anything below that and I get cold. I rode today in 48 degree weather and was fairly comfortable, but I really just rode around town.

I don't do heated apparrel as I live in the south and I just cannot justify spending the money for something I would only use once or twice a year.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I clicked on 20 degrees because i've ridden in 27 degree temps to and from work. I now have Gerbings jacket liner and gloves, as long as no precepitation is not forcasted i'll ride to work. By the way, it's 22mi. to and from.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Have rode the bike many times when it was at the zero mark.

Not bad if ya dress for it.

If I didn't ride at cooler temps around here I'd never be riding. :lol: :lol:
Done riding now until May :cry:

Watch for the black ice.

Mac

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I've ridden in cold temps, 0 to20, but I think the coldest I've even been, I rode home from the Police Academy, 130 miles one way on a Suzuki water buffalo, no shield, nothing, 23 degrees and it was raining. Levi jacket, blue jeans...I have never been so cold. :22yikes:

Now, I'm a little smarter, Goldwing, Gerbings, flip face helmet, polar fleece neck warmer.....wisdom with age :clap2: ....

I'm so smart now :yes:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I voted for 20* because I know it could get down to 20 at least once or twice before our winter freeze is over.
AH!!! :D :D I LOVE Florida!! 8)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I ride the Polar Bear. We ride to a different location in N.J., Pa., De., and N.Y. every Sunday from the end of October until the beginning of April. The rides are to a different place each Sunday. Weather doesn't stop me. Last year one of the rides was to a location about 50 miles away. Snoewed the night before, but the roads were clear. Part of my route had wind blown snow on the road for about 5 miles. Slow down with flashers on. The Wing never missed a beat.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts