GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever been stopped and asked to remove red & blue lights? My son said both colors cannot be run on a car at the same time. Something about impersonating a police officer. I'm just about to install the chrome rotor covers and lights on the wing.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
He is right. In most if not all states it's illegal to have any color lights besides amber or orange on the front of any vehicle. Now the Ring of Fire does have amber lights pointing outward and the red and blue lights are pointed inward and that effect really doesn't look like you are running blue and red light directly so you most likely won't have any problems....but a police officer could pull you over if he wanted too. Just make sure you turn them off when you take your bike through the inspection lane when you need new tags.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Ok then, would it be ok to hook up a modulator to my fog lights and use one blue and one red lens cover??? :p :p :twisted:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
Ok then, would it be ok to hook up a modulator to my fog lights and use one blue and one red lens cover??? :p :p :twisted:
That would definitely grab the attention of any LEO's in the area; and no, it wouldn't be OK.

·
Registered
463 Posts
red/blue

I have never had a problem in any of the states I have been in. The inwrd facing lights IMO are not prominant enough to bee seen forward of the bike since they focus inward. Just my experience, not problems.

·
Registered
780 Posts
There is no problem in Kansas either. There is no way they look like police lights when they are in a wheel and the only place you can see them is from the side. I had them on my bike.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
the only time you will have a problem is if a LEO can see the red & blue lights from the front of the bike.

Red & Blue lights from the side should not be a problem.

To be safe though I would only run the ring of fire during parades or at the bar ( to impress the chicks ~~~ of course )

:lol:

·
Registered
254 Posts
The law in Alabama states that no vehicle can emit a blue light of any type from any area of the vehicle while on the public roadway unless that vehicle is a law enforcement vehicle. You can use them in the parking lot but not on the road and it is enforced by most jurisdictions here. You also cannot have red light projected forward or white light projected rearward while in forward motion. Again, this is on the public roadways. You can pretty much do what you want in the parking lots.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I would suggest you check your local state or provincial regulations before you spend the money on these lights.

In BC, the number, height, and colours are regulated. Only white & amber to the front, red and amber to the rear (except for back-up lights). Anything else is illegal. There are many owners here that have installed illegal lights, and have "not yet" received a ticket.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Definitely varies jurisdiction to jurisdiction but even where illegal would depend on the LEO. I reversed the strips in my rings of fire..red and blue out and amber in, have red and blue LED's in the openings in the rotor covers, red and blue LED's in the air intake in the front windshield garnish and several other LED's (red and blue) that are visible from various angles, including the front. All have been there since 2001 and I have not been stopped or questioned. Wouldn't do it if I wasn't willing to pay the price, though. (I might even exceed the speed limit from time to time). I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I can tell you this there are not too many cops that would stop a Gold Wing for having a ring of fire. And if you were stopped I would bet you would ride off with a warning. Out of all the bikes out there I would have to say that crotch rockets are stopped the most then Harleys a close second, Gold wings riders I think for the most part usually have thier stuff in order meaning an M class, no loud pipes etc. I would not worry about the lights I saw a guy on a wing just before it got cold and this thing looked like a Christmas tree I have never seen so many lights on a bike in my life, I almost pulled him over just to get a closer look but then had to go to a call and never got the chance.....

·
Registered
394 Posts
If they see them, they will stop you and ask you to turn them off. If you can't shut them off, then they will turn them off for you. Know a guy who this happened to...

·
Registered
818 Posts
RED/BLUE LIGHTS

Same here if FLA as what MOTORDIVER said. I will probably stop you and ask you to turn them off. Then talk awhile about your bike and how I wish I wasn't working and could ride with you.

Safe and Happy Holidays

DEPUTY DAWG :cop2:
05 DARK GREY C.E.A.

·
Registered
405 Posts
In South Carolina, no blue light may be used that can be seen from the front of the vehicle unless it is a law enforcement vehicle. Having seen the ring of fire, I would not mistake them for a law enforcement or emergency vehicle.

Steve

·
Registered
463 Posts
ring of fire

I beleive as well that ubless you get hot headed, most likely nothing will happen. Now if you were stopped for a violation, I could see them bringing up the subject. Let's face it, I don't know of any municipalities that don't have better things to do (speeders, murders, robberies) than to just pull over a bike for some rather opscure lighting. JMHO

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: ring of fire

fixitfrank said:
I beleive as well that ubless you get hot headed, most likely nothing will happen. Now if you were stopped for a violation, I could see them bringing up the subject. Let's face it, I don't know of any municipalities that don't have better things to do (speeders, murders, robberies) than to just pull over a bike for some rather opscure lighting. JMHO
Come on down and visit us in Georgia!

·
Registered
463 Posts
lights

I travel Georgia at least 4 times a year, day and night travels, have never been given a second glance by LEO's. Maybe I'm just lucky.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I've got the Blue-Green R-O-F.

I've never had a problem with a LEO about them. But I do have them on a switch so I can turn them off just in case.

I just wish Kuryakyn would wire them so you could turn the inside lights on and off separately from the outside lights.

No problem at all with the rear Ring-Of-Fire, but then the LED's are all red back there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts