GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were riding along in Rio Rancho, NM when I saw a few policemen on a training course. I parked, walked over an asked if they would mind if I watched, hoping for the best. Not only did they let me watch but the instructor who is one of the state instructors for the police answered a thousand questions I had and spent a lot of time explaining u turns, etc. and pointing out what the new riders were doing right and wrong. Then when one one the newbies took a break he took the time to explain to me what went wrong the few times he dropped the bike. The BMW's they were riding weight 980 lbs. And I thought the wing was heavy. These guys treated me like I was one of their own. The only thing they couldn't do was let me ride the course. What a wealth of info they gave me. Now I just have to go practice. I was invited to come watch when ever I want.

What a fantastic group of guys. The instructor rode like the cop in the video thats been shown recently.

This was an experience I won't soon forget.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Wait till the fantastic group of guys give you a ticket for going 5 over just to fill the quota they claim does not exist.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ticket

Obviously you had a bad experience. Sorry you're so negative. I just finished chemo and had a great report from my doctor so I'm a little more upbeat than you. Don't have time for the glass half empty stuff. Just need to put things in perspective Jeff.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Wait till the fantastic group of guys give you a ticket for going 5 over just to fill the quota they claim does not exist.

Even if they do have a quota the smart thing is to not be breaking the law and you never have to look over your shoulder. I know that somethimes the speeds seem a bit slow for certain roads, but the law is the law.

I know I will get a lot of heat for this thread but that is just the way it is. I am not saying I don't go over the speed limit, God knows I do, but if I get ticketed it is nobody's fault but my own.

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
Obviously you had a bad experience. Sorry you're so negative. I just finished chemo and had a great report from my doctor so I'm a little more upbeat than you. Don't have time for the glass half empty stuff. Just need to put things in perspective Jeff.
Good for you. Like hanging with people like you. Hope you continue to progress to full recovery! Ride safe and keep that positive attitude.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Good luck - have a positive attitude when you go thru Lawtey and Waldo Florida.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks diesel-dawg. I had a great time and I won't let anyone rain on my parade. I usually don't respond to those comments but I thought maybe he didn't realize how it sounded. Anyway, I don't want to detract from my original post. If anyone has trouble with slow speed riding it would be a great experience for you.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts

BFD if they have a quota, do you really think they want to discuss what requirements are placed on them? Most Motor Officers are required to write tickets, it's what they do. Get over it and do not speed if you are that worried about it. If you went to work and did not do your job what do you think would happen? If you are that upset go to your next Town or Council meeting and complain to them and quit crying about it on the internet.

buckaroobonzai, I am glad that you got the opportunity to have a positive interaction with them. I am curious as to what type of Motors they were riding? Most ride R1200 RTP's and they weigh approximately 695lbs wet and loaded for duty.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually Jeff, I moved here a year ago from Citrus County where I lived for 20 years and I am very familiar with Waldo. I even spent some time at the U of F. For a while the state took away the right of some of those small towns on 301 to give tickets. Billboards by AAA warning folks that it is a speed trap. As long as you are aware don't speed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Congrads on the GOOD news from your doctor. Life's too short If your wrong ( speeding) take it like a man and move on. Personnally I'd love to have a motor officers training. Good Health

·
Registered
624 Posts
Jeff,

Your outlook and comments put a smile on my face. :cool: I had two melanoma surgeries in Aug. and Oct., 2009. Everything is going great for me, and it sure does allow you to look at life from a different viewpoint.

Keep on living and loving life, family, friends, and riding your Goldwing. :biker:

Thanks again for the smile and God Bless. :thumbup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Wing Ding. Didn't mean to get going on the medical stuff. Even every one in my family is not aware of it. I don't want people feeling sorry for me or treating me differently. As a matter of fact, when I got out of the chemo treatment I went bowling for 2 hours and then spent 2 more at the fitness center. I expect to be riding on 2 wheels for a long time. I just mentioned it to Jeff trying to give some perspective to the little things in life. Sometimes they just aren't all that important

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't discuss tickets with them but did ask them why they ride side by side instead of staggered. They said it is safer that way but when new police riders start out, they stagger so they can use the entire lane. Also, even though they can talk through their radios, they prefer face to face. And they never put both feet down at the same time. When I said I put which ever foot my bike leans to on any give stop, he said if I want my left foot down all the time, just turn my wheel slightly to the right just before I stop and it will lean to the left. Also they take police who have never been on a bike too. No bad habits to break. The ones I talked to had the same mental issues many of us have when they first started the course. Fear of falling when leaning. And the ones I spoke to said it didn't matter whether it was their personal bike or the departments. This was the first time I spoke to motorcycle police up close and personal for such a long time. One last thing. The absolutely most important thing in slow speed riding is the friction zone. Everyone said the same thing.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
I didn't discuss tickets with them but did ask them why they ride side by side instead of staggered. They said it is safer that way
That is a crock! They ride that way because that's how it's done on TV!
Ask my bro that's now on disability retirement because he was side by side w/his partner-truck pulled out in front of them. Partner was in left center of the lane and was able to miss the truck. Bro was in the right center of the lane-had no place to go without taking out his partner. Put it down-slide under the truck and will walk with a pronounced limp for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They seem to to take their more seriously than doing something because it's that way on TV. Maybe that's why your brother did it. But you shouldn't speak for all police departments. These guys risk their lives every day. They have a job to do just like every one else. They would be remiss if they didn't do the best they can, giving out tickets, etc. I may be naive but I think you are doing them a disservice. Like most people I've received one or two tickets. I didn't like it but I deserved them. The officers were never rude to me.
There is so much hate and negativity on this site. Seems a lot of people only see doom and gloom. If some post an experience they had, just accept it for what it is and don't treat them like they are idiots.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts