GL1800Riders Forums banner

Do you have brake judder after recall effort complete?

• I have not had the recall and YES my bike has a rear brake judder - 2015 & earlier.

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • I do not need the recall and YES my bike has a rear brake judder - 2016 & 2017.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I HAVE had the recall done and YES my bike has a rear brake judder - 2015 & earlier.

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • I do not need the recall and my bike has NO rear brake judder - 2016 & 2017.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I HAVE had the recall done and my bike has NO rear brake judder - 2015 & earlier.

Votes: 35 52.2%
  • I'm completely clueless...

Votes: 1 1.5%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
READ CAREFULLY BEFORE RESPONDING, PLEASE!

In this thread:

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800-tech-board/453667-brake-shudder-video.html

there has been another wave of effort in trying to resolve this issue.

I have already perused the dozens of threads on this forum and others on the problem. To my knowledge, no absolutely repeatable solution has been discovered. I'm not talking about the 'Rocky' bleed or any other over-and-above solution. The solution is *not* Honda's 'get out of jail free' card of "use both brakes". It's a weak answer, and totally defeats the purpose of the Combined Brake System that was designed into these motorcycles long, long ago.

According to the text in the recall procedure, installation of a new rear master cylinder and a new secondary master cylinder resolves the recall requirement of unexpected rear brake lockup. This is due to contaminates residing in the rear pedal brake system. A thorough brake system bleed and purge is performed in conjunction with the replacement of these two key pieces. One part (the delay valve) could be easily removed, cleaned & reinstalled. The key component (proportional control valve) is quite the tear-down to access.

Now, the 'shudder' (which may or may not be a symptom, and is more commonly known as 'brake judder') of a less than full application of rear brake only [those of us that learned trail braking are the ones that are concerned...] does not appear to be directly related to this recall issue. However, it seems to have been reported that those that have 2015 & earlier motorcycles may have become afflicted with the judder as a result of the recall process.

So, my question is simple. You get but one answer in my poll...which is why I've asked you to read carefully before answering. You do NOT have to currently own a 5th gen GL to answer the question; use the latest model you did own.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Doesn't seem to be an option for 2015 and earlier, no recall done, no sign of any brake problems. Mine is a 2008 I bought new and do my own work, never had any problems. That is why I don't take it in to the dealer to replace everything that is not broken, and most likely ruin the entire braking system.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same for my 2015. That should have been an option in the poll. No problem until after the recall was done.
Reading comprehension...

"I HAVE had the recall done and YES my bike has a rear brake judder - 2015 & earlier."

Flue189 said:
Doesn't seem to be an option for 2015 and earlier, no recall done, no sign of any brake problems.
Unintentionally omitted, but not directly part of the question being asked.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Doesn't seem to be an option for 2015 and earlier, no recall done, no sign of any brake problems. Mine is a 2008 I bought new and do my own work, never had any problems. That is why I don't take it in to the dealer to replace everything that is not broken, and most likely ruin the entire braking system.
^^^ I agree! I bought my '06 in 2012 before the recall. I received the recall notice but decided not to bring my '06 to a dealer. it was obvious from reading posts on this forum that Honda really did not know what was causing the rear brake lockup or the fix. In addition some of the contributors to this forum wrote they were dissatisfied with the work performed by the dealer (not a surprise to me based upon previous experience with car dealers) and were still having brake problems. So far, my '06 hasn't had any brake issues other than normal maintenance.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Reading comprehension...

"I HAVE had the recall done and YES my bike has a rear brake judder - 2015 & earlier."

Unintentionally omitted, but not directly part of the question being asked.
Reading comprehension? On your part? :) You didn't ask if bikes only experienced the shudder problem after the recall. You just asked if bikes had the recall and have the brake problem.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
My 2013 juddered after the recall until I performed the last step of the rocky bleed procedure bleeding the top fitting of the rear master cylinder. It never has done it since.

I chose door number 3 in the poll.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I experienced the Judder only Once... after letting my bike sit for 1-month, and only for the subsequent ~10 miles.

After which, I simply rode it like normal and it went away. This leads me to suspect that it is a issue having to do with the Bleeding of the Brakes, rather than some permanent mechanical condition... Namely, probably got an air bubble that later dispersed with normal use... and could probably eliminate it with further bleeding and/or the Rocky Bleed.

·
Registered
482 Posts
2014 and did not have brake judder until after the recall... Don't understand why you went '15 and up...

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
2014 and did not have brake judder until after the recall... Don't understand why you went '15 and up...
Response number 3...………...15 and earlier.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
482 Posts
doh!
I swear that said "15 and later" when I read it a couple minutes ago... guess the eyes are getting old... or maybe the brain...

scary part is I can reproduce it pretty consistently.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Right there with ya brother. :wink2:

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
Of the several GL1800 pre-2018 series I have seen with rear brake "shudder" or "judder" on hot days with light rear only brake application the application of a bleed with the Rocky steps included CURED the symptom totally and permanently unless/until air was reintroduced into the rear system. I was sudder free for about 10 years UNTIL the last brake recall. After which the shudder was again present and AGAIN CURED by purging the trapped air out of that high spot. It is a fact that air in that spot will lead to the shudder under the hot light rear brake only condition on a somewhat unpredictable rate of occurance. But, perhaps there is another malady that can create that symptom or similar that your bike has. I dunno. There was no poll response for "My bike juttered before the recall, but was Rocky cured; then got the jutters again after the recall; but was Rocky cured again."

prs

Reactions: 98valk

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
(a) I have a 2016 - no recall required *and* it has judder.

(b) In case you missed it, the recall (#23) happened on 2015 and earlier models of GL1800. See: https://www.hondapartshouse.com/blog/2015/11/04/honda-safety-recall-notice-october-gl1800-no23

(c) The intent of the poll is to identify if the steps in the recall effort that significantly changed in order to 'purge the contaminates' of system have largely been successful at eliminating judder.

(d) If you have intentionally omitted having a safety recall done on YOUR motorcycle, this is not germane to my question.

(e) Choose last response in the poll if you feel like there's anything else missed here.

·
Registered
482 Posts
This might be unpopular, but I think the cause is poorly executed recall or other brake hydraulics maintenance procedures.
I will say the shop that performed the recall on my bike will NEVER see it again as I think they used an impact driver on or just over torqued the bolts for the fender...

But I am more interested in what the fix is... I tried Rocky Bleed but not sure I was comfortable/confident with it.. so might not have done it right..

·
Registered
869 Posts
Had it a little before the recall and now it's terrible after the recall and the occasional brake lock up too... I am in the process of constructing a DIY power bleeder (see youtube) and will flush the S*** out of the system... I have a procedure in mind which I'm sure will draw some criticism, but at this juncture I am looking to either fix the problem by removing ALL air bubbles and not interested in how clean the brake fluid is...

I plan to run several liters of brake fluid thru the system with the power bleeder and strain the used fluid and run it thru again and again until the problem is either solved or it is pointing to another issue, which I think is still possible, although I have no idea what that could be at this time...

Les

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
(a) I have a 2016 - no recall required *and* it has judder.

(b) In case you missed it, the recall (#23) happened on 2015 and earlier models of GL1800. See: https://www.hondapartshouse.com/blog/2015/11/04/honda-safety-recall-notice-october-gl1800-no23

(c) The intent of the poll is to identify if the steps in the recall effort that significantly changed in order to 'purge the contaminates' of system have largely been successful at eliminating judder.

(d) If you have intentionally omitted having a safety recall done on YOUR motorcycle, this is not germane to my question.

(e) Choose last response in the poll if you feel like there's anything else missed here.
Thank you Kwthom, for letting us know the reason for the poll. Sometimes it seems like a setup and just leads to verbal bout’s on the forum.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Hopefully there will be a recall to repair all the damage and fix all the dealer induced problems fixing things not broken during the last recall. I'll wait for others to report about that. In the mean time I'll happily ride with brakes and no shudder and no recall.
Does everyone do every recall? Not me, I weigh the factors and decide. This recall is a definate no fricking way.

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
Hopefully there will be a recall to repair all the damage and fix all the dealer induced problems fixing things not broken during the last recall. I'll wait for others to report about that. In the mean time I'll happily ride with brakes and no shudder and no recall.
Does everyone do every recall? Not me, I weigh the factors and decide. This recall is a definate no fricking way.
I didn't have mine done. But my Wings are properly maintained, thus Honda does not have to recall something they should never have had too at least with mine. Thus far, all of Honda's braking issues, rear brake drag and rear brake shutter, are deemed self inflicted issues.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts