GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I curious as to how many board members got the warranty during their first 3 years of ownership. I'm coming up on 3 years and will have to decide to buy at the next HDL sale. I've had no cracks,overheating,wobbels etc, just the minor recalls etc. I plan on keeping the bike for several more years.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I didn't buy it. My 3 years of original warranty was up in June and I simply didn't have the extra cash at the time. If you can afford it however.... I think it's a good thing to have.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I purchased the Ext Warranty from Hal. I've used it once to replace the hazzard switch. No problems at all with dealer concerning the issue.
I'd do it again, if for no more than peace of mind.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
We bought two extended warranties from Hal for both bikes. I will just let you know that while on a 10 day trip Holly's alternator went out. It was fixed within 2 hours after getting it to Mountain Adventure Honda in Kodak TN. Oh, my point is we didn't pay a dime for the repair. I did slip the service person that took care of us and the mechanic each $50. for there quick help getting us back on the road.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yup, worth it

For the kind of investment we made, it only made sense.

I just wished other manufactureres of hard goods had enough confidence in their products that they would even consider an extended Warranty at a reasonable cost.

Not to mention the fact that we intend to keep the bike for 5 years or so, and it gives me some peace of mind that major mechanical flaws will be taken care of while on the road.

Cloud 9's $.02

·
Registered
488 Posts
I didn't. You can buy a lot of Pabsts with that kind of money.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
When it is on sale is it less than $400 very little money for peace of mind. The local stealer charges $100 a hour. It is worth it to me just for when I am traveling. But each to his own

·
Registered
202 Posts
I did only because mine was bought used and was about 1 1/2 years old and with Hal's sale price I felt it was very cheap insurance.
==============
jdswtwng said:
I curious as to how many board members got the warranty during their first 3 years of ownership. I'm coming up on 3 years and will have to decide to buy at the next HDL sale. I've had no cracks,overheating,wobbels etc, just the minor recalls etc. I plan on keeping the bike for several more years.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The dealer where I purchased my Wing from specifically recommended that I do not buy the warranty at bike purchase time. He said wait until the factory warranty is about to expire and then buy it (but don't let the factory warranty lapse). He also guaranteed a certain price ($395), plus any increase in his cost for the warranty between bike purchase and warranty purchase.

If many dealers told me that, I'd say "Yeah, sure, right.......", but this guy is honest. Kind of refreshing from a guy that sells vehicles.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I did, but haven't used it yet. I plan on having my '02 after the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I never buy extened warrantys on anything, have now save enough money to replace anything.
I owned two trucks with extened warrantys the truck with power windows and locks was covered for manul only, the truck with manul windows and locks was covered for power only, extened warrantys are a gold mine.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Bought mine for $500 from the dealer at time of delivery when during paperwork. Did I pay too much, who knows, who cares. Extended warranty is like an insurance policy. If ya have it, you'll probably never use it but it's worth gold if ya need it.

After owning HD for the last 3 years, I asked myself, If you pay out 500 bucks now and then for 7 years never have to pay more money for breakdown on the side of the road, or other electrical problems would you do it. HELL YES! Just think, if more than one electrical item craps out on a goldwing, your gonna spend more than 500 bucks anyway to have a dealer fix it anyway. Why not pay for it up front. That piece of mind is worth a lot of money when your in the middle of BFE on a long road trip.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Another at delivery

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with metallica on this one, I too did not purchase the warranty. I believe I could buy a new Goldwing with the money I've saved from not buying extended warranties that everyone tries to sell me. You know who comes out ahead on selling these waranties, it is not the consumer.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I never buy extended warranties on appliances, or other small purchases, either. TV's, DVD players etc. are a dime a dozen these days. It's cheaper to buy a new one than to have the old one cleaned. But, the Wing isn't some cheap appliance or tv, and you can figure on labor costs running at least $50/hour, probably higher. Wouldn't take long to run up the $400 warranty price, especially with a lot of techs that are parts changers instead of mechanics. I'm not knocking the good techs, but if you've been on this site for any length of time, you've heard the horror stories. I hope I never have to use it, but it's sure as hell cheaper than the auto/bike/home insurance that I've got. :shock:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Extended warranty’s are huge profit centers for companies. I have refused to buy any prior to the purchase of the Goldwing and when the $100 rebate was offered two years ago and with Hal’s sale, I jumped on board and hopefully wasted my money. However, we travel a fair amount and the peace of mind we have is money well spent. :tools1:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'm not big on extended warranties. When salesman try to pressure me to buy one, I ask them if perhaps I should consider buying something more reliable somewhere else...

However, I plan on keeping my Wing a long time, and at HDL's prices, it's cheap insurance. So I bought it, and am happy with that decision.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts