GL1800Riders Forums banner

HAVE OU EVER HAD A BLOWOUT ON YOUR WING, NOT A FLAT BUT AN ACTUAL BLOWOUT

61 - 80 of 106 Posts
Pilot,
May God bless you and keep you save...my guess is that riding at 100+
in the Fl slabs in the Summer with a load is like the Fiddler's battle with the Devil...I pray to God you never lose....

I would not trust cemental on those conditions for extended periods of time...unless, many other ironbutters may conveince me otherwise...

Pilotlooking

Next time you run 131 MPH for a bit, pull over and see how long you can hold your hand on the rear tire ! You will be scared when you feel it !!

I have had mine up to 131 on the GPS twice and it was a great ride, but the tires get extremely hot. That scares me.

I had a rear tire explode on my Venture Royale going full out a few years ago. Got my attention..

By the way, 131 is the absolute maximum for my Wing. Can't get another mph out of it.

JMHO 8)

Max McAllister said:
The topic reads:

NOT A FLAT BUT AN ACTUAL BLOWOUT

That means one second you have air in the tire, the next second it explodes and goes flat, leaving you with a dangerous motorcycle to try and stop.

So yes, Hollywood. That's what a blowout is.

:?
By your definition, it wasn't a blow out... but it darn sure exploded!

One of the initial batch of Avons... was "enjoying" a nice long stretch of Montana interstate when the casing & tread decided they didn't want to hang out together anymore.

Tore up the plastic on the back of the bike.

IB Mike

You should not have done that. That picture is in violation of the Happy Honda Manual Tire Section! :evil:

Remember, Those tires are designed by Tire Engineers for the GL-1800 Goldwing and are perfect for the Wing. May I ask why you took that tire off the bike ?? After all, the engineers designed it for that bike.

Good luck on your next batch of MOTORCYCLE TIRES !! The ones designed by plaque carrying Engineers. The ones that are recommended, no, demanded to be used in the Happy Honda Manual..

JMHO 8)
PS, there are some on here who will NOT recognize that to be a bad tire.

One picture after the other of dicombabulated motorcycle tires...I guess I made my point...present Wingabego tires are inadequate to say the least...down right dangerous to long trippers....

Under normal driving condintions these type of things shoudl NEVER happen...let alone as frequently as it does...

In proportionality, of course am not sure if truly statistically comparable, this may call for a class action suit...that's what the Ford owners did to Firestone...

Have about all those lawyer seeking naysayer on the Darksiders gather their a shark team to investigate the possibility of malpractice manufacutering short cut on the current desing of motto sneakers!!!

Discussion starter · #69 ·
DARKSIDERS if a car tire on the rear is good, it must be twice as good on the front. Why not try it? :shock: If you don't how can you argue against it?(Darksiders logic)

laen said:
DARKSIDERS if a car tire on the rear is good, it must be twice as good on the front. Why not try it? :shock: If you don't how can you argue against it?(Darksiders logic)
If I were to be lured to the Dark Side, I'd put a Michelin bias ply on the front (GL1500 tire).

Arn Butt

Several of the Darksiders do put that tire on the front !! ..

To Max and laen .... A big fat Goldwing will not lean enough to put a car tire on the sidewall.. Impossible !!

NOTICE TO ALL NON DARKSIDERS !!!

DO NOT RUN A CT ON YOUR BIKE. YOU NEED TO FOLLOW THE HAPPY HONDA MANUAL FOR THEY KNOW ALL. A CT REQUIRES A DIFFERENT SKILL SET TO RIDE AND YOU MAY NOT HAVE THAT SKILL SET.. DO NOT USE A TIRE RATED FOR MORE WEIGHT THAN YOUR BIKE WEIGHS.. NEVER NEVER USE A TIRE THAT WILL LAST FOR 20,000 MILES ON YOUR BIKE. ALWAYS DO AS YOU ARE TOLD !!

JMHO 8)

I ran over a 3/8 inch punch and it went through the rear tire and even left a dent in the rim, I had a bumpy ride until I stopped to investigate. It wasn't even leaking until I pulled it out. I was shocked to see the 4 inch or so punch come out of the tire. It took 3 plugs to seal the hole. Thank god for my $10 compressor from Wally World. I limped it home and replace the tire.

I did had a blow out on the rear tire of my GS-750 years ago. It happened on a curve riding 2 up. I never want to experience that again!

Ken H.

KA7W said:
To Max and laen .... A big fat Goldwing will not lean enough to put a car tire on the sidewall.. Impossible !!
Another completely factless, pointless, speculative (incorrect) statement.

We just took an angle gauge and taped it onto the dash of two different GL1800s in our shop.

On the SIDE STAND, the bike is already at 10 degrees. Note that Bridgestone states the normal operating environment for a car is 5 degrees or less.... :roll:

We leaned the bike over until the footpeg touched the ground, which many riders do regularly.

38 DEGREES.

Bridgestone states car tires will go onto the sidewall at angles of 30 degrees or more.

What "going onto the sidewall" means is that the tire is up so the corner is the point, and the car's intended contact patch is gone, and the tire is riding on the outside edge of the corner as well. The video clearly indicates this severely dangerous condition.

Tom, what's the next baseless statement you want to make? 8)

Nando said:
One picture after the other of dicombabulated motorcycle tires...I guess I made my point...present Wingabego tires are inadequate to say the least...down right dangerous to long trippers....

Under normal driving condintions these type of things shoudl NEVER happen...let alone as frequently as it does...

In proportionality, of course am not sure if truly statistically comparable, this may call for a class action suit...that's what the Ford owners did to Firestone...

Have about all those lawyer seeking naysayer on the Darksiders gather their a shark team to investigate the possibility of malpractice manufacutering short cut on the current desing of motto sneakers!!!
Nando,

You have to realize you have about a dozen people here showing the photo of a bad tire. Half of those the tire failed because it was RUN BALD, or SMASHED INTO SOMETHING.

A car tire will fail if you smash it into something.

Nobody has asked to show pictures of "good tires"... or you would have thousands to compare to the 5 or 6 blown ones shown here. :lol:

Remember, lots of people DIED when Firestone SUV tires failed. We actually haven't found a single person who even crashed, never mind died.

So I wouldn't expect a Class Action Suit anytime soon. :wink:

Max,

I know this is going to be hard for you to understand. When a motorcycle is in motion and leaned over in a turn, the G forces increase causing the bike to settle into its suspension there fore the distance between the frame and the ground becomes much less than when in a static condition. When the frame moves closer, the bike will touch down much sooner than it should. That is the reason there are people designing suspension systems to compensate for those things. Get on the internet, you will see several people selling devices to prevent this from happening so bad.

Also, there is no need in Yelling (very large bold letters) This is bad manners in internet etiquette. You should know that by now.

I would have to see a letter from Bridgestone stating that the Goldwing will be at 38 degrees when compressed under load at max gross weight. I do not think it would be near that amount, at least mine won't..

Along with the above, a car tire will compress the inside sidewall as the G forces increase causing the tire to lay flatter than it would if the side walls did not give a bit... There fore, the tire will not quit be on edge, but will have several inches of the bottom of the tire on ground while in a curve.

If you will do the following, you will have a better understanding.

Put a good sport radial car tire on a rim and mount it to your bike. I used water but you could use some paint, any way, coat the tire (I run through a puddle of water) Drive through the water at any speed, just as the back wheel passes through the water, start a very tight turn, leaned as far as you can go. Then stop the bike and go look at the tracks, measure the width of the tracks, then tell me why there is over 3 inches of track in the tight turn.. After you do this, you will have a better understanding of what the Darkside is all about.

I did not see any where in the Bridgestone article where it said that being on the side wall was only on the edge of the tire.. Even in the drawings, they indicate the sidewall as being on the ground, I have seen maybe 20 car tire installations and never seen even one that showed the side walls had touched the ground.

Have a good day :lol:

JMHO 8)

laen

I sign most all of my threads with "Just my humble opinion" because that is what it is, Just my humble opinion !!

Apparently my humble opinion bothers you so much that you have to get involved in a thread without giving anything positive in it. Nothing good to say so you jump in and try !!

JMHO 8)

Max,
Maybe you are right on the proportionalities...but I think the lawyer issue is not in concordance with the pragmatic functionality of CT vs Motto tires...

I can picture a shark (lawyers) with sufficient resources to bail a cager that runs into Wingdinger towing a trailer...Why? because the trailer made the motto less manuverable and thus a factor on making the bike ran into the cager who pulled in front...

There are 10 thousand stories in the naked City...I bet more than that in the rooms of laws....Consider O.J. Simpson!....a far feched analogy but comparatibly similar...CT or no CT, leverage in a court case may have little relativity to a brand of tire.... guy with the most Lawyer resources can win given any circumstances....

Discussion starter · #80 ·
So I see 87% of the voters have never had a blowout on their wing. The poll was to show the DARKSIDE was wrong. (quote-"We all have had m/c tire blowouts " endquote

He said everones had a blowout before. Well I guess not. Just another untruth from the Darkside. I am sure they will have an excuse on the poll results too!!!!

61 - 80 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.