GL1800Riders Forums banner

HAVE OU EVER HAD A BLOWOUT ON YOUR WING, NOT A FLAT BUT AN ACTUAL BLOWOUT

81 - 100 of 106 Posts
laen

Don't be so lame, Go to the Thread called "Max's version of the blowout poll" and on page one you will see where I retracted that statement !! Do you know what a retraction is ?? If not, you may want to look it up. I know you read it because you made comment on it.

These threads are not for arguing, They are for the gathering of information for all to use. Why do some of the people who have NOTHING to say in regards to the possible use of something have such a negative knowledge base as to get on and slam every one ?? I would like to know the answer to that one myself !!

So again I ask .. If you have no information on the subject by use of the product, why even bother posting ??

JMHO 8)

Discussion starter · #82 ·
Tom I don't think 88% of the riders are newbies as you stated;

QUOTE BY KA7W

OK, I goofed with my statement

Quote:

"If you have had a m/c tire blow out, please don't report. We all have had m/c tire blowouts !!"

My thinking probably was that if you have ridden enough, you have had a blowout. I was forgetting about all the newbies !! - END QUOTE

Another exageration ?

So tell us ,, How many newbies are out there ?? How many guys with less than 100,000 miles on a bike in their lives ?? How many ??

Just about all the guys I know got back into riding after the family was raised and gone. They rode in their teens and 20's, got married and dreamed of a new bike all during the years the kids were growing up.

It used to be only OLD guys (like me) rode Goldwings, then the 1800 came along and a new generation of guys are buying into it...

Anyway, How many ?? We will take your word on it because of your extensive experience,

Oh, talk to Tom Finch, I know he is over 500,000 miles of riding, ask him if he has ever had a blow out !! Ask any one with over 500k and see what percentage have had a blow out.

JMHO 8)

laen said:
So I see 87% of the voters have never had a blowout on their wing. The poll was to show the DARKSIDE was wrong. (quote-"We all have had m/c tire blowouts " endquote

He said everones had a blowout before. Well I guess not. Just another untruth from the Darkside. I am sure they will have an excuse on the poll results too!!!!
Note that of the remaining 12-13%, most people were including when the smashed into curbs and potholes, drove the tire bald until it popped, and drove it down gravel and limestone roads, and then wondered why there were cuts in the tire, and then continued to drive it until it exploded.

In either poll, nobody told a single story of,

"I had a tire in great condition that still had over 50% life remaining, and I was just driving on the freeway, and my tire exploded."

All of these "blowouts" are more like,

"I had a tire in great condition that still had over 50% life remaining, and I was just driving on the freeway, when I ran over a muffler that fell off of a Ford Pinto, and a few miles later, my tire exploded."

KA7W said:
So tell us ,, How many newbies are out there ?? How many guys with less than 100,000 miles on a bike in their lives ?? How many ??
I have ridden GLs less than a 1,000 miles in my life.

Am I a newbie? :p

However, I will bet I have driven more different GLs than anyone reading this board. :wink:

Mechanics only get to go on 2 mile trips! :cry:

Max McAllister said:
"I had a tire in great condition that still had over 50% life remaining, and I was just driving on the freeway, when I ran over a muffler that fell off of a Ford Pinto, and a few miles later, my tire exploded."
'Course the car tire would have rolled over that muffler without a problem!

Tomfranken

I have noticed a lot less tire damage on a car tire from riding on the sharp rocky roads of the San Juan Mountain range. And a lot better traction when crossing running creeks.

JMHO 8)

Tires

I am a new Goldwing rider 1800/ 03 . Looked into many bikes before gotting a wing, been to Sturges and 1000 mile ironbutt ride (2048 miles run-Total) I never had any bike tire problems and did not see any. I drive a lot in a cargo van ( LA Calif. ) area and to Phinex AZ. Talk about bad tires I see Car and Truck tires all over the road and almost every time I drive a car or more with tire problems. As a rider with 2 TWO tire I know I need to do what is safe, And going FAST is not a problem. I go about 85 MPH all the time. ( its Calf)
I like info. from other about tires and problems, AND why would I put a car tire on my bike????
Sunny day -think I will go for a ride..
Keep safe and well.

KA7W said:
I have noticed a lot less tire damage on a car tire from riding on the sharp rocky roads of the San Juan Mountain range. And a lot better traction when crossing running creeks.

JMHO 8)
That was one of the big reasons the guy in Alaska went to C/T's. He did a lot of dirt road riding on his Valk in areas where a bad tire would be a major problem. I find the C/T gives better traction hill climbing!

georgebrumley said:
I like info. from other about tires and problems, AND why would I put a car tire on my bike????
The original reason the guys on Valk's switched to car tires was to get more miles from the rear tire. They were burning up tires in 6,000 miles. It turns out, that is the LAST reason to switch. Better durability, run-flat ability, better traction in any adverse condition, smoother ride, and better cornering are the reasons I use one. (The pundits will claim the cornering has to be worse but so far have not honored their own offers for some track time.) If you are around DC, get in touch and we can meet somewhere to take a look.

See: www.tomfranken.com/darkside

Had a valve stem blow out at 70 in a curve on the 1500. Saved it

georgebrumley said:
very good reading. Have you or do you know, if a car tire will work on a goldwing 1800??
Been there, doing that, loving it. Several 195/55R16's are available and are the most common. Some people have had luck with 205/xxR16's. Scan down to the thread about the car tire with 215,000 reads if you want to see all the hoopla.

georgebrumley

We have quite a few members riding on car tires on the Goldwing GL-1800. Most of them report they will NEVER go back to Motorcycle tires.

There are some slight differences in handling, but there are some differences between the brands of Motorcycle tires also, Nothing to cause any problems.

There are quit a few various threads on here in regards to Motorcycle vs Car tires. One thread has had over 200,000 views on it.

Read them, make your own personal choices and enjoy life !!

JMHO 8)

KA7W you have a PM

KA7W said:
The PM did not get here for some reason .... Look in your outgoing box and see if it is still there

Tom it seems to be in my outbox but not getting to my sent box

Anyway my question is which tire would you recommend for me I pull a Bunkhouse most of the time probably close to 500 lbs? What tire pressure ?Which front tire to go with the back tire? How will the dealer balance the back tire,same as a MC tire? I'm no rooky been at it constant for 50 years little over a mil miles. Always thought about a car tire. Cause my Loop gets flat on the back anyway.
Thanks Top

ANYONE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED TO THE POST WITH THE SQUABBLING ABOUT MAX'S VIEW OF BLOWOUTS OR SOMETHING....

I POSTED A LONG ONE WHICH WOULD REVOLUTIONAIZED TIRE MANUFACTURING TECHNIQUES AND THE THREAD GOT PUFFED OFF....IS BIG BROTHER WATCHING....

HEY LA MONSTER, CAN I HAVE MY LAST POST BACK...WAS IT TOO CONTROVERSIAL....

WHAT DA HECK? ARE WE GETTING CENSURED?

81 - 100 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.