Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing done for this

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us find that our trikes tend to go the direction the road leans. Since most roads are crowned, that means there's some right pull. There are a variety of ways people handle this, including just living with it. I'm interested in how many do what. The poll lists options simply, feel free to elaborate in a post.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Not all roads are crowned the same and some are angled, not crowned, so why create a permanent situation that only helps in a very small range and may hurt others, like a right hand turn that is pitched to the outside.

Must be more of a probelm on some than others though, 'cause I never really notice it. :shrug:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Not all roads are crowned the same and some are angled, not crowned, so why create a permanent situation that only helps in a very small range and may hurt others, like a right hand turn that is pitched to the outside.

Must be more of a probelm on some than others though, 'cause I never really notice it. :shrug:

I agree, I don't have that problem.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

:agree::agree:

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I run all pressures the same for all roads.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Never been a problem. Have to agree with Charlie and Wheels.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Cars in America are set with 1/2 degree more caster on the right to compensate for the road. Just saying....
The OP has a valid question.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
No problems here. 40/F & 24.5 for both rear tires, then go ride.....often....!!!

:doorag: :doorag: :doorag:

·
Registered
16 Posts
When we all removed that rear wheel from a perfectly good motorcycle, and replaced it with 2 wheels that are about 4 feet apart from the center-line of the vehicle, it is naturally going to be much more sensitive to road crown than a 2 wheeler. I solve that problem by always trying too keep at least one hand on the handlebars at all times. Also works good on my truck. :shrug:

·
Registered
889 Posts
No problem here with my RS either. It is possible that our roads are not crowned much ... then again, it's been so long since I've ridden on one that's been seriously rebuilt that I may have forgotten! Between the humps and bumps and cracks that are the result of the temperature extremes and lots of heavy oilfield traffic, added to the gusty winds that are prevalent much of the time, I doubt if I'd ever notice a road crown if there was one! I do ride in some other locales occasionally, but seriously, my trike goes down the road really nicely with little effort necessary to keep it going straight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had to stop that sort of activity, as it caused too much distraction with surrounding motorists.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When we all removed that rear wheel from a perfectly good motorcycle, and replaced it with 2 wheels that are about 4 feet apart from the center-line of the vehicle, it is naturally going to be much more sensitive to road crown than a 2 wheeler.
Agreed. A fair number of trike manufacturers/installers recommend doing something about it. DFT recommends swaybar, Hannigan tire pressure, a good installer I know, preload/ride height. I waited a while to vote, but I'm "some combination". I've done a bit of all three. Helps on most roads, a bit too little for really crowned. I still hate off camber lefts. I haven't noticed any tendency to pull left on "flat" roads, most are sloped some to drain water. It arguably makes things a bit worse on the left hand lane of multilane highways, which drain left. Typcally, they're less crowned than two lanes.

If those who voted "Other" are reading, I'm curious what you did.

·
Registered
918 Posts
So most of you guys say that when you ride on a crowned, back road you don't get a pretty good pull to the outsided of the road?

A couple of years ago I was getting serious about a trike. Rode a used, very nice Road Smith. There was a constant pull to the outside of the road if it was crowned. If I were to take my hands off the handle bars I think I would have been in the ditch in a couple of seconds.

If I thought that I could have a trike and not have to fight crowned roads I could get very serious again!

B

·
0 Posts
So most of you guys say that when you ride on a crowned, back road you don't get a pretty good pull to the outsided of the road?

A couple of years ago I was getting serious about a trike. Road a used, very nice Road Smith. There was a constant pull to the outside of the road if it was crowned. If I were to take my hands off the handle bars I think I would have been in the ditch in a couple of seconds.

If I thought that I could have a trike and not have to fight crowned roads I could get very serious again!
Sounds like you had a problem with your trike. Not the case with my trike and I am sure there are many who will echo the same.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

A couple of years ago I was getting serious about a trike. Rode a used, very nice Road Smith. There was a constant pull to the outside of the road if it was crowned. If I were to take my hands off the handle bars I think I would have been in the ditch in a couple of seconds.

Personal opinions. It's not that severe on normal roads ridden normally, if the trike is raked. I wouldn't call it a "pretty good pull". But it is noticeable. I've been able to reduce it to barely noticeable on most roads, and correcting for it is automatic. But if you get where the road leans enough to lean your body over noticeably, the trike is going to want to go that way.

Before I raked the trike and did some tuning, it was a nuisance, in the "pretty good pull" league, now it's just something to do some fine tuning on. 80% of the people here haven't felt the need to do anything, I'm unusually sensitive to things like this.

One ride isn't going to tell most people much about whether they'll like a trike. A previous post of mine may be relevant to you -

"If things like this are causing you to question triking, be aware that the following sequence of thoughts is very common among new trikers.

What have I done? I could maybe get used to this. This is pretty nice. Boy, I wouldn't want to go back to 2.

It took me something like 1000 miles to go through that sequence. I've seen others say 500, others seemingly get comfortable even faster. Just a few slower. Maybe I'm a slow learner, maybe I was really good at wiring my brain for 2 wheels.

To me the drifting right thing is no longer a concern. Off camber left handers are still a bit annoying. But not caring much about the quality of the road surface, a bit of sand, pulling onto dirt shoulders, turning sharply at 5 mph or less, etc, is gold. Especially with a dodgy leg."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts