GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Had or have not had Issues on CSC 2nd Gen drive

• 0 to 10K miles with out issue on 2nd Gen shaft issue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20K miles with out issue on 2nd Gen shaft issue

• 21-40K miles with out issue on 2nd Gen shaft issue

• 41-60K miles with out issue on 2nd Gen shaft issue

• 61-80K miles with out issue on 2nd Gen shaft issue

• 81 or more miles with out issue 2nd Gen shaft issue

• 20 or less with a 2nd Gen drive shaft issue

• 21-40k with a 2nd Gen drive shaft issue

• 41-60k with a 2nd Gen drive shaft issue

• 61k or more with a 2nd Gen drive shaft issue

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this appears to be a hot topic though I would set up a poll to see how many of our group has had an drive shaft issue. I have nearly 12K on it as a trike. So far so good.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think I have had enough of this ****....

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think I have had enough of this ****....
But is a fun quiz and I LOVE poles, ohh wait those are on a different site:shrug:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love polls also, even if they are meaning less to some.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Noticed that the only one to post an issue, so far, appears to be a Motor Trike rider, so guess they may also be having an drive shaft issue:shrug:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Noticed that the only one to post an issue, so far, appears to be a Motor Trike rider, so guess they may also be having an drive shaft issue:shrug:
:popcorn: damn I love poles, and dancing girls, and when you combine the 2 its not at all like watching paint dry:yes:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Approximately 24,000 when the shaft on mine went South. Didn't have the heavier spring or collar on at that time. Had to pay for my own dealer evaluation but when splines found to be shot, CSC paid for the replacement shaft. I had to pay for the collar and spring.:shrug:

·
Registered
6 Posts
CSC Poll

Yesterday I incorrectly voted that I did not have a driveshaft problem (did not get my glasses first) , when I indeed have had problems. I have not been able to find a way to change my vote so I will have to explain it here. When I had just under 27,000 miles I could not leave a stop light, just sat and made grinding noise. Towed home, trailered trike to original dealer/installer, confirmed that the splines on the drive shaft were shot. They replaced the driveshaft with one from another kit at no charge. At 37,500 I had a terrible noise from rear when we reached Wing Ding in Iowa. A CSC dealer/installer replaced the driveshaft and everything else that they could (service managers words). They also installed the new spring, collar kit that Tony gave me at CSC's trailer at Wing Ding. This eliminated 95% of the noise but revealed a bearing noise that ultimately resulted in the rear end being crated up and shipped to CSC. The last problem was this year with 49,000 miles when I again could not leave a stop light in Florida. We were towed to Trikes by Design (aka Trikes by Tony) where it was confirmed that the splines were shot. CSC again paid for all repairs to the kit. Our monetary cost of these breakdowns include, rental cars (1 day in Iowa & 3 days in Florida), 3 additional nights motel & daily expenses in Florida, and the price to have CSC overnight parts to Iowa. Our emotional cost is a lot more. I am not bashing CSC only briefly explaining my experiences (not rumors). I have been continuously told by CSC that my problems are unique to my kit, as apparently some of you have. Statements by some that lack of proper maintenance or poor installation are causing these problems I guess could be true. However my maintenance has been performed per CSC instructions and the replacement of the driveshafts have been performed by 3 different CSC Installers. I now have 8,000 miles on this latest driveshaft and about 20,000 on the rear unit repair, so we'll see how this goes. I originally posted my experience only on GWRRA's message board. It appears it was copied and posted earlier on this board under a different topic.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the information Denny D. Its good that CSC did at least step to the plate and cover the repair and other costs. I know that another rider has had the diff rebuilt at the factory and it also started out as a noise issue. He was also with in warranty, as I assume yours was, so the repair was covered but not sure about the other expenses being covered.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Denny,,,sorry to hear of the REPEATED ISSUES, it really seems like there is an alignment problem of some sort with your bike and kit, there is no way one kit can require several shafts and most others none, I am beginning to think that the problem may be with the kit rear end alignment with the drive shaft of the bike, if they are not inline it would seem no matter how many shafts you put in they are destined to strip out the shaft, JMHO, but a thought none the less, seems like there must be a logical explanation given the random nature of the problem and now your repeat issues?hmmmmm I change out my rear gear and diff fluids at 10k not because they need it but rather to check the color and consistency, just a suggestion!

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
"I change out my rear gear and diff fluids at 10k not because they need it but rather to check the color and consistency, just a suggestion!"

How often would you change the gear oil in a (much) heavier vehicle? By "consistency" do you mean viscosity?

Denny,,,sorry to hear of the REPEATED ISSUES, it really seems like there is an alignment problem of some sort with your bike and kit, there is no way one kit can require several shafts and most others none, I am beginning to think that the problem may be with the kit rear end and the remains of the bike, if they are torqued it would seem no matter how many shafts you put in they are destine to strip out the shaft, JMHO, but a thought none the less, seems like there must be a logical explanation given the random nature of the problem and now your repeat issues?hmmmmm I change out my rear gear and diff fluids at 10k not because they need it but rather to check the color and consistency, just a suggestion!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

An update, the MotorTrike rider PMed me that his trike did not have an issue and said"I voted on the CSC issue to due the fact I showed it to a friend of mine who owns a 2008 Goldwing with a 2nd gen kit on it. He doesn't have internet access and asked me to vote for hime. So far in just 24,000 mile he has issues with rear wheel bearings and also lost a driveshaft without any warning while out on a ride."

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Stopped in at my dealer today to set up an appointment to service the bike and trike. He just finished changing his 2nd shaft the other day. OUCH! Didn't need to hear that. He believes I have a 2nd gen. shaft set up. Will find out soon. On another note. They just sold their first 2012 Wing with a Viper Kit! The 8 cube trunk. He thinks from what he read, they have changed the rear shaft set up. Will know more soon enough when it comes in. Tom :biker:

·
Registered
197 Posts
"I change out my rear gear and diff fluids at 10k not because they need it but rather to check the color and consistency, just a suggestion!"

How often would you change the gear oil in a (much) heavier vehicle? By "consistency" do you mean viscosity?

Sure viscosity and feel, grit or residue! :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stopped by mine yesterday and had the new spring and collar installed, on my dime. Hope it is better but from posts, not convened.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Sure viscosity and feel, grit or residue! :popcorn:
Thanks. Do you find that the differential on your trike requires more frequent gear oil changes than your cars and trucks? If so, why do you suppose that is the case?

G

·
Thanks. Do you find that the differential on your trike requires more frequent gear oil changes than your cars and trucks? If so, why do you suppose that is the case?
I don't want to start a oil war but I had my Diff. oil replaced with Syn. A----l. Have not seen any sign of drippage nor have I checked lately. Appox. 25,000 mile with it.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The only reason I changed the oil is to keep the warranty in force. Both times it looked new.

The only reason I used the non-syn is that CSC was was adamant about not using it. To me it is a better lube but again wanted to keep the warranty in force I used what they required.

Not sure what I will use after the warranty period is over.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nope, its factory scheduled maintence at 20k, I am a stickler for PM and do it at 10k, its only a few bucks and its good peace of mind, that holds true for wing oil changes, and other matters that can head off future problems,,,I do know this BENNY being ahead of schedule never results in PPP!:popcorn:I change my Volvo diff oil at 30k, my buddy never changed his, his failed,,,thats PPP in my Corps!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts