GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Pollak 6-pin trailer connector the norm for GW trailers? My 2003 has such a receptacle and I'm wondering if I should stick with it or change over to something more frequently encountered "out there." :confused:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Its my understanding that the GL1800 is a 5 wire system, I have 2 trailers that are 4 wire and had to install a 5 to 4 converter....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I know if you had a camping trailer like the Aspen Classic with electric brakes, you would need that 6 pin connector. Usually the center pin is for the electric brakes. Do you have a brake controller somewhere on your bike? Now the Aspen Classic without the electric brakes also uses a 6 pin connector but the center brake pun is not hooked up. Many cargo trailers will utilize a 4 pin flat connector but then you will need a 5 to 4 converter to make that work. And if the trailer has LED lights then you have to be careful of which 5 to 4 converter you use.

But bottom line, the trailer you use will determine what connection you need on the bike. But then again you can always modify the trailer wiring to match the 6 pin.

Confused yet?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Is the Pollak 6-pin trailer connector the norm for GW trailers? My 2003 has such a receptacle and I'm wondering if I should stick with it or change over to something more frequently encountered "out there." :confused:
As noted above the trailer will normally determine the connector you want to use on your bike, I make a lot of trailer harnesses for Yamaha riders and by far the most commonly used are the flat rubber molded 4 or 5 pin connectors. Nice thing about those you can get them at any auto parts store should you need to make a repair while on the road. Some do use 5 pin round (not common in my experience) and some use 6 pin round (very uncommon in my experience). Also beware that Bushtec uses a Delphi weather pack 6 pin flat connector that no one else uses to my knowledge, this requires a special crimper and the connectors although available, are not found in normal brick and mortar stores, I have only found them at a few places on line.

With all of that being said, please check out my thread on the Inventor's Hobby Shop, I offer a complete plug and play harness set up that can be customized to what ever you need to match your trailer.
Here is a link https://gl1800riders.com/forums/201-inventors-hobby-shop/431273-c31-breakout-harness.html, the trailer harness is about 3 or 4 posts in from the top. If you need help in any way, let me know I am always happy to help if I can.

Reactions: Drair
1 - 5 of 5 Posts