GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm aiming for Mid-2020 to head back to the Sierra's, destination unknown.

Will be departing from North Anaheim, and would like to gage interest from any riders looking to join?

Offhand, this would be a ~4 day long ride, including the weekend.

There's no shortage of routes in the Sierra's... so many in fact, that I'm technically-unable to map them all out, for voting purposes.
My hope is that I can narrow down the eligible options, based on the Starting Destinations of those involved.

So then, if you're interested, then respond with:
1) Your rough starting location (city), or where you'd want to meet.
2) Any must-have routes, or "Optional" if you don't have a preference.
3) Availability (Rough Estimate in terms the months, July - Oct, 2020)

My hope is to them come up with a Plan in terms Route and Lodging... at which point, any participants would make their Own Plans to suit.

Reactions: Pooch

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
OK,

I'm game. About any month but March - April.
What cha thinking up Hwy 395 and back PCH. To Idaho and Canada?
East more to Colorado and Black Hills?
:thumbup:
I'm in the Ventura area.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Alex,

You'd made a couple of comments in this thread I started back in May on this subject.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/24-california-ca/447907-california-five-passes-ride.html

Answer to #1 is 'it depends' - simply based on what type of a loop those that would do a ride like this would want to do. I put a couple of routes in that other thread, and that rough map of the passes *really* helps with perspective.

Answer to #2 answered above

Answer to #3: I think the *ideal* time seems to be August/September, since the snow is definitely gone by this time. September, the biggest crowds of tourists (at least the ones with school-aged kids...) would start to thin out a bit.

I'm ~700 miles away from Fresno *and* Lee Vining...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Answer to #3: I think the *ideal* time seems to be August/September, since the snow is definitely gone by this time. September, the biggest crowds of tourists (at least the ones with school-aged kids...) would start to thin out a bit...

Agreed: Aug/Sept would be ideal.

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thx ALEXB
I'm Interested
In Redondo Beach, CA
Late summer to early fall.
Up 395 and back on the coast sounds good or AZ, Utah and Colorado

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
<...>Up 395 and back on the coast sounds good or AZ, Utah and Colorado
Mike, you need more :coffee1:

"I'm aiming for Mid-2020 to head back to the Sierra's, destination unknown."

"Offhand, this would be a ~4 day long ride, including the weekend."

:lol:

You could spend a day from SoCal, wandering up 395 to...oh, let's say Reno.

Day 2 is a couple of the mountain passes...think overnight in Sonora, for example.

Day 3 finishes a couple more passes, you end up in Lee Vining.

Day 4 the California contingent either reverses the route home, or, if day 3 ended up on the west side of the Sierras, then whatever fun route is put together to get you guys home.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sounds like fun, I'm in NoCal-Roseville, could meet up for a day or two.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
List of Interested Members/Locations vs Sierra's

I'll try to maintain this List of Interested Members, and Rough Starting Location vs Sierras-Destination.
At some point, can decide a logical "Focal Point" for the Starting Location, and from That the eligible routes.

Ignore the Route Shown... Just the "Dots" are relevant, which show member locations:

Start Location, Member:

AZ, Jaynes Station / kwthom
CA, Anaheim / Alex B
CA, Roseville /, rtbmrgl
CA, Redondo Beach / Mike459
CA, Venture / Corventure Dave
UT, Area-51 / Pooch

Attachments

Reactions: Pooch

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about those of us that might be interested in such a ride...

Figuring it out from the perspective of those more likely to attend (e.g. California residents...) may be a better initial planning step.

More info about the region than you can shake a stick at: https://sierramountainpasses.com/

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sierras

2 interested. One out of Huntington Beach.Ca. One out of Brookings, Or. We are usually riding somewhere in the area.
We are looking at a M&G in Idaho at the end of June. We could join up at any point , time & conditions permitting.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Interested. I'm in Lewiston, Idaho, and I'm more than willing to meet anywhere you guys choose.

I've been over every central Sierra pass on a bike, except Echo Summit. A million times in a car going skiing, (used to live in Fresno), but not yet in a bike.

Just as a suggestion, for anyone who hasn't ridden Ebbets Pass, CA 4, it's a bucket list ride. ;)

Clay

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
If the lion's share of interest in this ride is from SoCal, one could always consider one of the South passes as well. isn't there one of them that's a smallish little 'country road' type that would get you to 395?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I’m also interested and in the Torrance/South Bay area. But I’ll have to wait until the date gets closer before I can confirm.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sherman Pass?

That's probably the one I'm thinking about.
Actually Its called Sherwin Summit or Grade. I like 395, the desert and mountain parts.
I was over it yesterday on the GL in route from Fullerton to Roseville(near Sacramento). Spent the night in Bishop, I found a great BBQ place, yummy. :grin2:
I left Bishop a 0800, temps were 35-50 deg until I got near home, weather clear and no traffic.
My first long ride since upgrading the suspension. :clap2:

p.s., all of the Sierra Passes are still open.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
My wife and I would be interested, we live just a little north of you in La Verne, Ca. Aug-Sept would work for us. Any destination in the Sierra's we're in... I might suggest a quick stop at Convict Lake south of Mammoth for a quick walk around...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts