GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
June Lake Loop and CopperTop BBQ in Big Pine is a must stop!
Also a run to the Portal of Mt. Whitney.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
June Lake Loop and CopperTop BBQ in Big Pine is a must stop!
Also a run to the Portal of Mt. Whitney.

Corventure Dave
Expect a long line to order if you get there at lunchtime :chef2: :eat2:

Reactions: Clamper and Pooch

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I'll try to maintain this List of Interested Members, and Rough Starting Location vs Sierras-Destination.
At some point, can decide a logical "Focal Point" for the Starting Location, and from That the eligible routes.

Ignore the Route Shown... Just the "Dots" are relevant, which show member locations:

Start Location, Member:

AZ, Jaynes Station / kwthom
CA, Anaheim / Alex B
CA, Roseville /, rtbmrgl
CA, Redondo Beach / Mike459
CA, Venture / Corventure Dave
UT, Area-51 / Pooch
I'm late to the party as usual, you're only about 150 miles off on my "location", but what's a 150 miles on a wing:)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Sherman Pass?

Actually Its called Sherwin Summit or Grade. I like 395, the desert and mountain parts.
I was over it yesterday on the GL in route from Fullerton to Roseville(near Sacramento). Spent the night in Bishop, I found a great BBQ place, yummy. :grin2:
I left Bishop a 0800, temps were 35-50 deg until I got near home, weather clear and no traffic.
My first long ride since upgrading the suspension. :clap2:

p.s., all of the Sierra Passes are still open.

Uh...no. Sherwin Summit is not a pass over the Sierra's. Sherman Pass is the most southern pass over the Sierras. Climbs up over 9,000 feet.

Sherman Pass is a mountain pass in California on the Kern Plateau in the Sequoia National Forest near the southern tip of the Sierra Nevada. It is traversed by Sherman Pass Road, which runs from Kern River Highway at the North Fork of the Kern River on the west to Kennedy Meadow Road on the east.

Drops down to 395 on Nine Mile Canyon road. Paved and a little bumpy but I have ridden it twice on my wing. I rode over it just last week on my Tenere, most of at night. Love my Clearwater LED's!!!

Everyone should enjoy this little known pass at least once on a bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2. This (below) has been on my bucket list for years. I've done Monitor, but only in a cage and that during the Yosemite fire when it was hazardous to be driving in the smoke.

High Sierra Five Passes

Four days seems like a small amount of days to get all of them in though. Perhaps a week?

1. Oh, I'm in Riverside.
3. September/October (I'm retired)

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
2. This (below) has been on my bucket list for years. I've done Monitor, but only in a cage and that during the Yosemite fire when it was hazardous to be driving in the smoke.

High Sierra Five Passes

Four days seems like a small amount of days to get all of them in though. Perhaps a week?

1. Oh, I'm in Riverside.
I've done all five on the bike. All epic, all gorgeous, each with its own charm and beauty. All more than worthy of a bucket list trip.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I’m interested, probably be just me unless I can get my wife on board....but I highly dought it

1.) San Dimas Ca..just up the road from you.

2.) no preferences on route.

3.) July to September for me.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
For those jumping in lately...read my thread here on the topic started back in May, for some perspective. It may help fill in the blanks a little bit:

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/24-california-ca/447907-california-five-passes-ride.html

A map of the region - and the major passes - here, also in that thread:

A little more history about that specific ride that I could (sorta...) figure out:

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/24-california-ca/447907-california-five-passes-ride.html#post5628799

A listing of all 22 passes here:

https://sierramountainpasses.com/

I had a conversation thru another forum with the guy that created that web page above - and also helped out on the Carson/Tahoe rally. The rally died due to lack of enthusiasm by those that were putting it on. A lot of work for little recognition, I guess.

Remember, that Carson/Tahoe rally did the Five Passes in ~2.5 days. Depending on where a 'starting point' would be derived, you'd cross one of them as you headed for that starting point (in my example, Reno). If most riders are coming from SoCal, then riding the passes from north to south would have the majority of riders closest to home...only a half-day (or so....) of riding away.

A four(-ish) day ride makes it possible for more of the working-class riders the ability to not have to take many days' off to do this ride. A totally different four or five days could be strung together for the retirees - and include even more of those 22 passes.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts

High Sierra Five Passes

1. Oh, I'm in Riverside.
Before moving to Vancouver WA 2 yrs. ago I lived in the Central Valley (Fresno/Sanger, CA) for 50 yrs and on numerous occasions would ride the High Sierra Five Passes. My favorite was to ride over Tioga Pass a couple of days after the road was opened up after the snow was cleared. On a heavy snow year it was like riding thru a snow tunnel in places. Definitely some fun riding and each one offers something different.

Reactions: Clamper

·
Registered
276 Posts
I still work for a living lol so I would take the time off to do this run.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I'm still game for this ride. Except for May. I'll be in Ireland. Too far to commute!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
276 Posts
There seams to be a good amount of us from North Anahemi to La Vern, if so would it be possible to narrow down a month to start with.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I see that SC-MA is having a "Five Passes" ride on August 7-8, riding from Bakersfield to Sonora on Day 1, and from Sonora to Bishop in Day 2. I live in OC and am trying to find out if anyone from this area is planning to go on the ride. I would rather not ride all the miles by myself.

Here's the link to the SC-MA webpage with further information.

SCMA Sierra 5 Passes Ride

Anyone thinking of making this ride, please contact me.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Could be iffy the way the virus is ramping up again. :unsure:

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
I see that SC-MA is having a "Five Passes" ride on August 7-8, riding from Bakersfield to Sonora on Day 1, and from Sonora to Bishop in Day 2. I live in OC and am trying to find out if anyone from this area is planning to go on the ride. I would rather not ride all the miles by myself.

Here's the link to the SC-MA webpage with further information.

SCMA Sierra 5 Passes Ride

Anyone thinking of making this ride, please contact me.
Darn it... :confused:

Would be a nice time to go - so would the last weekend in August.

My suspicion is that there won't be many that do it, and that it's all going to be people in SCMA doing it (not that there's anything wrong with that...).

I mean, unless there's a more definite shut-down imposed by the CA governor, I suspect a few will make the effort.

I'll at least take their routing for comparative purposes. Earlier on in one of the (several) threads on the topic, I'd laid out the specific directions to go thru the various passes by consensus of several that had opinions on the 'best' way to do the route.

EDIT: Not certain if you have to be a member of SCMA to do it, either.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts