GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll say, strait up, that I have only recently come over to believing in ATGATT after 20+ years of riding. When I bought the Wing, I was still wearing an unarmored leather jacket(if it was not too hot), full-face helmet, and non-protective gloves. I added armored jackets pretty soon after that, but rode for the past year like that. I only recently added motorcycle specific protective pants, gloves, and boots. A large portion of my decision is based on the fact that I am now riding every day, so I have increased my risk exposure substantially.

My definition of "All the Gear" is a full-face helmet, armored jacket, armored pants, gloves, and boots. I also include earplugs for any highway trip.

I do prefer hi-viz, reflective gear as well. It won't stop the morons that never look, but I am now much more visible to the ones who do look. I have found that people tend to keep more distance from me now. People that I'd normally expect to pull out in front of me, after a quick glance, I have found to more often nail their brakes as they actually see me.

I am still not practising ATGATT, as I have ridden 1/2 a mile from the house with no gear beside a helmet, but upon doing so, I felt kind of silly, because most accidents happen close by. Guess you could say I'm currently at "Mostly ATGATT"

I once thought that a jacket and helmet was enough, but research and personal experience has shown that knee and thigh injuries are very common as well. My fiancee tore her meniscus, and that is a permanent injury. She also hurt her elbow, but that has healed. The doctors say they can fix it, but she'll never really be without pain or at 100%. There is no way to know if armored pants would have protected her in that spill, but the jeans sure did not.

In my own expereince, I have bruised ribs and broken my femur in motorcycle wrecks. I don't know if the thigh armor in my pants would have been enough to stop that, but it could have. I'm pretty sure that the bruised ribs would have been mitigated by the chest armor in my jacket.

On my recent one and only tip-over, I hurt my foot and my fiancee hurt her ankle. The right motorcycle boot would have prevented those minor injuries. Those minor injuries could have been a lot worse though. Just luck really.

There is a relatively new piece of equipment called a Leatt brace. It is designed to protect the neck from injuries. An scenario where this would come into play, would be after a high-side, if you land in a head-down position, the Leatt brace would transfer the forces impactiing your helmet, to your upper torso. A bad enough impact can break your collar bone, but in that case, you probably would have had a broken neck, otherwise.

The Leatt brace is currently gaining popularity in racing and in offroad, dirt and motocross. There are a few early adopters on the street with them. I am considering it. In the accident where I broke my leg, I was pitched forward over the bars and landed slightly head down. I was extremely lucky in that I did not land more head down, or I may have been paralyzed or killed.

I do believe that the brain is the best safety gear I have, and being aware and skillful is more important than gear. I do know that I make mistakes though, get distracted, and others do as well. That is where the gear comes in.

Just things I've been thinking about. Thought I'd share.

·
Registered
583 Posts
ATGATT

:agree: +1

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sgst

I fully appreciate & respect anyone with these beliefs and hope that they also respect mine.

My entire reason for riding is the enjoyment I get out of riding. For me it is not enjoyable to wear a Full Face or 3/4 helmet and when its hot I like to ride in a sleevless shirt. I have been in two wrecks, one in which I totalled my ride and broke every rib on the right side multiple times. I was wearing chaps, 1/2 helmet and a Tshirt. For me when I begin to worry about being hurt that I will have received my notice that's its time to hang it up.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
I'm an ATTGATT guy; don't feel comfortable any other way. But I respect others' right to choose what they do.

Roadkill, hope you don't become roadkill. By the way, I love the SGST....very clever and honest. ;)

When I'm riding protected, I'm not worried about crashing. I enjoy the ride, but that's just me.

Ride safely, all.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
we wear much more protection than we used to

mesh pants in summer heat

first gear overpants in cold

mesh jackets in heat

laura has a warm armored jacket

always a 3/4 helmet

i have joe rocket phoenix gloves

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks Robeth for the slack. :p

So far only small animals & birds have met their fate to enforce my name, but there is always the next time out, of course I could fall off my barstool tonight too.:eek:4:, that would really suck.

Ride Safe,

Jay

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fully appreciate & respect anyone with these beliefs and hope that they also respect mine.

For me when I begin to worry about being hurt that I will have received my notice that's its time to hang it up.
I do respect your decision. It does sadden me that people say they would give up riding if they worried about getting hurt though.

I worry about getting hurt all the time, not just on the bike, but everywhere. I do what I can to mitigate the risks.

2 weekends ago, I was able to get "in the zone" with all of my gear on, and had more enjoyment on a bike than I have had in over a decade.

With my mesh gear, I can still feel the breeze. The helmet does take away some of the pleasure, but I simply cannot imagine riding without it.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Im an ATTGAT type of guy. Cant get armored pants cause they dont make them big enough, but boots, gloves, FF helmet and armored jacket is my choice. I fall into the group who became believers after a crash. Over the years I have had a couple also. Caught an "I didn't see him" Olds 98 in the door years ago in Ft. Worth Texas, luckily in helmet, heavy leather jacket and gloves at the time. Then got rear ended hard in Columbus Ohio one dark and stormy night in the 80s.

Gear is a personal choice, I judge no one for their choice and simply ask no to be judged in return.

Ride safe yall......

·
Registered
833 Posts
I am ATTGATT without a major accident. I taught M/C Safety for 24 years and believe in what i tought. I lived as the example to my students. I practice what I preached and it has become my lifestyle. I can't ride in sneakers, it drives me nuts.

Greyrider, try www.motoport.com all of their gear is custom made to fit the buyer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I started riding summer of 2007. On a motorcycle I wear ATTGAT, usually an Aerostitch Roadcrafter or Darien light jacket and pants if its really hot out, gloves and flip helmet.

I must confess that when I take out my 50cc Vespa LX, I wear a half helmet (its what fits under the seat), gloves and a hi viz vest. Sometimes thats all. Usually I use the scooter as transportation around town, running errands, etc.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I, too, am in the post accident group, coming through mine without significant injury because of full leathers and a full-face helmet. I'm in the same boat as others about armored pants non-fit but wear an armored mesh jacket, boots, gloves and flip-face helmet. Leather chaps are also added if riding long distances. I've found road rash and bruises don't heal as fast as my younger days.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I'm an ATTGATT guy; don't feel comfortable any other way. But I respect others' right to choose what they do.

When I'm riding protected, I'm not worried about crashing. I enjoy the ride, but that's just me.

Ride safely, all.
+1

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have been a SOTGSOTT for over 55 years and no accidents yet.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Gear

I am a ATGATT rider. I wear armored pants, jacket, gloves and FF helment 100% of the time. Last fall I bought a Olympia Phantom one piece riding suit. Second day I had it I went down on a slick curve at about 40 MPH. I slid down the pavement on my rear end. The suit litterally saved my butt. It almost wore through the protective material. I hate to think about what it would have looked like had I only had on levi pants.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I respect everyone choices but I still thought this was funny when I saw it on the BMW site YMMV:

I don't think it is very funny, but then again I looked like that once. My helmet was in four pieces and thanks th the Highway Patrol 0fficer who was behind me, my behind wasnt in four pieces courtesey of my dad. That was at 17 years old and with 3 years under my belt. I never really got stupid on a bike but when a blowout happens on a tube tire there isn't much chance to keep it up. I never was very comfortable on a bike unless it was cool enough for leather until the newer armor came along.
I guess I would say that instead of taking the fun out of riding it put the fun back in.
Ride your ride and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't think it is very funny, but then again I looked like that once. My helmet was in four pieces and thanks th the Highway Patrol 0fficer who was behind me, my behind wasnt in four pieces courtesey of my dad. That was at 17 years old and with 3 years under my belt. I never really got stupid on a bike but when a blowout happens on a tube tire there isn't much chance to keep it up. I never was very comfortable on a bike unless it was cool enough for leather until the newer armor came along.
I guess I would say that instead of taking the fun out of riding it put the fun back in.
Ride your ride and keep the shiny side up.
I'm a tool for saying it was funny because I've been there too. In 1976 I hit a dog on my Honda XR75 while wearing a helment, sneakers, jeans and tank top. :22yikes: I have road rash scars on my shoulders and arms to this day from that incident. And that is why I'm an ATGATT guy (and I don't like dogs).

1 - 20 of 82 Posts