GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not complained to my delaer, yet, and its something I really don't fret all that much about; but my FM radio reception is lousy. Maybe I am just poiled by the excellent radio's I have enjoyed in my automobiles. Here in West Virginia you just about always surrounded by hills or mountains, but my car radio's just keep receiving clear signals 100+ miles. The Honda radio is losing signal within just a few miles (less than 20) in those situations and won't even pick up from the ridge tops for distant stations (just about all stations are distant around here). Is it an antenna problem, a poor receiver design, or is it just my unit that needs replaced?

prs

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Is there anyway you can compare to another wing ? Our radio's are not noted for being the best, but here in Michigan I do get out around 40 to 50 miles before I loose the local stations. Maybe you could get a loner from your dealer and test that one.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think our FM'S have proven to get poor reception, I know I use mine very little because of such bad reception. JMHO Joy

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i live in a mostly flat area, with two major metro areas to choose from. the bike has a problem with fm stations 20-30 miles from the tower.

this is one reason why sat radio is so nice for me.

but then we miss the farm reports and the commercials, its a trade off.

loren

·
Registered
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmmmm. New cable, huh? I may have to trouble shoot this. Am going to install the CB and a Lambskin seat cover soon. Might just pick-up a new (different) cable and see. Its hard to believe the Japaneese can no longer build a radio. I was wondering about standing wave or even the aspect of the plastic body panels. I do recall a fellow at the dealership telling me how nice the raido was, that it had lots of features, but did not pick-up well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
if anyone has removed the top shelter, the cable to antenna may not be pluged in completely. It also can break the wires in cable if not removed
when taking off shelter as it plugs in to radio real close to plastic box for
for gas overflow. the cable runs thru wireing harness and only about 4" sticks out of harness not much lenght to move shelter to get connector unpluged.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
troubleshooting question ... before you begin checking wires and cables and the rest .... are you using the original Hondaline antenna or have you switched to a Sierra?
I recall a lot of the folks who switched to the Sierra setup complaining about good CB reception and terrible radio reception ....

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Yeah, as Peter has suggested, I switched to the Sierra antenna and all the problems I experienced with CB (and to a lesser extent, FM) went away. I don't know if I had a poor connection before or not, but after installing the Sierra, all problems have been taken care of.

·
Registered
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This bike is all original and has not been taken apart, yet, unless teh dealer did so before I got it. I'm kinda confused by the Sierra antenna performance reports -- Peter seems to be saying that modification will hurt, or not help FM, but helps CB and Bob seems to be saying it helps both FM and CB. What is the skinny on that? I am getting the Honda CB, so I could use the info.

prs

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Well, PRS, let me put it this way. The Sierra antenna didn't hurt FM reception (and in my case, improved it a bit), but it rerally helped the CB reception. Now comms are clear as a bell, where before things were pretty muddled.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Check the connection of the antenna at the Radio especially if you have had a CB installed.

One local dealer told me that Honda designed the Radio that way when I was within 8 miles of a 50000 watt station I couldn;t receive the station very well and when I put my hands on the handle bars the station became stronger.

The dealer was JAF Motore Scotia NY. Needless to say I wouldn't be going back.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Plastic is not a good conductor. All my wings have had poor reception

·
Registered
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK!

I ordered the Sierra antenna and will install that with my new Handa CB from Hal. I hope the Sierra simply replaces the regualr AM/FM antenna and that way I don't have to have two masts. However, being the curious type I started tracing the antenna back to the radio. I did not get very far. I checked the mast for tightness and mounting integrity. I got in there and checked the cable connection -- loose as a sick goose! Must have been that way all along. It certainly works better as I listened to an FM station about 70 miles away from inside the garage as I tinkered around and changed the oil+filter and such. I hope it works as well on the road. I hope the Sierra works as advertised in regard to dual function, but if it doesn't, I can always go with tandem antennea --- antenni --- oh H377, antenners! Hmmmmmmmmmm. Spring is around the corner and I have a lambswool seat cover, Utopia backrest, CB and antenna to mount. If'n it don't warm up real soon, I'ze ganna be flat broke! Plus teh dang bike has gained more weight over the winter than I have!

prs :oops:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Oops, sorry I didn't get back on this right away .... I was suggesting just the opposite from what my buddy Bob suggested. His is the first case I've heard with "better" radio reception. The Sierra uses a splitter and most people have reported TERRIBLE radio reception in the lower bands - AM and WeatherBand.
Based on that, I opted for OEM ... I get very good reception using Hondaline AM/FM and CB antennas .... CB was far superior to what I expected (based on all the unfavorable comments) and the FM reception is no worse than I get in the minivan, 70 to 100 miles ... Weatherband is excellent ... and I've only switched on the AM once to see if it "worked" :lol:
Good luck with the Sierra, hope you get as good a reception as Bob.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,815 Posts
My Radio works fine

I'm surprise to read so many who say their radio doesn't receive stations very well. My radio on my 03 picks up stations just fine. I do live in Delaware which is flat land. When I went to Americade and was in the mountains somewhat, I've never had a problem finding a radio station there or anywhere else I've been too. Weather band seems to work great too. Never even thought about the radio reception before reading this thread.

·
Registered
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Ho Orange Crush!

I understood your first response, but everyone around here told me to do the opposite of what you recommended! Harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Now that I took the seat off and actually pushed the danged antenna cable pin into its female counterpart, the radio is greatly improved - it ws nearly all the out to begin with!. I started to put the Sierra antenna on last night, but got side tracked. Will let ya know how it works out. If it does well for CB, but not FM, I will run the FM off the OEM and put the Sierra on the left. From inside my garage I listened to stations far and near last night as I put the lambswoll covers on.

I forgot to mention that I also discovered my seat was not installed properly! The center tab was resting on top of its hook/loop and was all mashed down. The plastic tab was distorted up into the seat foam. I think Larry, Moe, and Curley were on the assembly line that day. I put it all back together and may get a short ride in today so see if comfort is improved -- I thought comfort was good already -- although the seat was pressuring me in a very tender spot!

Roadie, I gotta wonder at just how many folks are riding along with the antenna cable only partly seateinto the radio coupler.

prs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts