GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from a trip out west. A couple of friends and I travelled to Western Colorado and Utah to take in the sights.

Here are my figures for the Utah trip:

Total Miles Ridden: 3,795.6

Gallons of Gas Used: 107.72231 (nothing over 37 Octane)

Average Price per Gallon: $3.7345937

Average Miles Per Gallon for Entire Trip: 37.292085

My MPG surprised me. I was hoping for around 32 or 34 MPG as I was heavily loaded. I am happy with the above figures. I am even more pleased with my “Poor Boy Air Hawk” seat cushion. This turned out to be the best suggestion I have ever received. I used a 4" tube and an 8" tube slighly aired and placed inside a Wal-Mart seat cushion cover. My old posterior never bothered me once. Could go another 3700 miles. Happy, happy I am. I did, however, dehydrate and cramps took their tole. Cramps just about got the better of me. You tend to forget to drink lots of water on such long trips, or at least I did. Won't make that mistake again.

I provided the above figures in case some of you may be contemplating such a trip. My gas purchases were $398,37. Meals and incidentals were about $400.00. The lodging bill has not been tabulated as yet. There were three of us who shared the cost of motels. I think the most expensive was around $77.00 for one night split 3 ways. I would gestimate that our 8 nights will be around $200.00 each. Give or take a buck or two. Overall, a very pleasant trip. If you have never been to Western Colorado and Utah, I would recommend it. Colorado has some roads that equals the "Dragon's Tail on Steroids." Beautiful, magnificiant, splendor above description. Truly, God has touched this country.

Happy trails.

Quapa

·
Registered
931 Posts
I've heard about a single tube ,but not two inside of the Walmart cushion. That sounds much better. I'm just afraid the air valves bent at a 90 degrees might put a hole in the seat or in me if i turn it the wrong way. How did you place the air valves? Thanks:thumbup:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Quapa Those roads up in the Rockies are awe:thumbup:some!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I placed the valve stems to the side and down. They were not an issue. I didn't put much air in either tire. Just enough to keep my posterrior off the bike seat. The 4" tube fits inside the hole of the 8" tube. Great ride. Don't leave home without one. You could probably tape the valve stems down. Didn't think of that until you asked the question. Anyway, no problem with the stems.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Quapa Could you post some pics of that poor mans air hawk? I have never seen the Wally World cushion here in Canada and I'd like to try it :thumbup:
Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bought the tubes from a local tire dealer. Kinda tubes that go into a lawn mower or wheel barrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts