GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend was on the way home from Wing Ding and wore his 709 rear tire out with 6400 miles on it. Bike has Centramatics on it too. What is typical tire wear on Bridgestones out there? Cord was showing in 4 areas. I know they have a soft compound, but thats pretty poor mileage.
Buckskin

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Friend was on the way home from Wing Ding and wore his 709 rear tire out with 6400 miles on it. Bike has Centramatics on it too. What is typical tire wear on Bridgestones out there? Cord was showing in 4 areas. I know they have a soft compound, but thats pretty poor mileage.
Buckskin
I think you mean the 704 tire. Either way, 6400 miles is pretty low mileage unless he was hammering the heck out of it. Something doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
17,124 Posts
WOW, that is the long and the short of it. Both reports are probably 2+ standard deviations from the mean.

prs

·
IronMan
17,846 Posts
looks like he put it on inside out they wear terrible like that

·
Vendor
18,596 Posts
That means he either did not keep it aired correctly, or he road it really hard. Was he the one burning rubber at the starting line in the Team Compitition who dumped it half way through the course?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I run the stones only and always get 10 to 12 k on the rear tire pulling a trailer with 41 lbs in ft and rear,i get 16 to 17 k on the ft tire,OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have tried other brands tires, but Bridgestones are my first choice. My experience with them shadows Magenta's. 10-12 k on a rear. Most of my miles are 2 up and I sometimes pull a trailer.

I run the stones only and always get 10 to 12 k on the rear tire pulling a trailer with 41 lbs in ft and rear,i get 16 to 17 k on the ft tire,OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Best guess: He either leaves every stop hard or it was run low on air for a lot of miles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I got 5000 miles out of a rear Bridgestone. I checked the air every time we rode. I really like the Bridgestone front and liked the rear except for the terrible milage. I now have a Stone on the front with a Metzler 880 on the rear. The bike works real well. Not enough miles to get a reading on the milage.

·
Registered
694 Posts
If then

If you start with I have an abnormal situation and then say I did something different my first concern is that what you did different may have created the abnormal situation.

I do not have ant first hand experience with the Centermatics but I would start there unless hard riding is the cause.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I would not say I am easy on tires and I can still get 10,000 miles, although I would not start a trip with more than 7-8k...I'd rather not estimate when and how I could change somewhere out in America.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I have never gotten less than 10K on a rear Stone. More likely 12- 14K. Front Stone I get 20K+.

I ride 98% 2up, and 40% with my Bushtec in trail.

Something very abnormal about the low mileage reported.

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
That does seem like low mileage unless as others said he was running hard/heavy/or under inflated.

Buckskin

·
Registered
343 Posts
I dont know about the Bridgestone but on my E3 Rear I am at 6800 miles on it and only wore 3/10s off of it so far WITH Centramatics. Admittedly I do not ride super aggressive but 2 up alot and I keep them aired up and checked before ANY ride. I wish Bridestone and the other tire manufacturers would make a higher weight rated tire for the Wing.Yes I know about car tires but I like my MC tire.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
two words: low pressure

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Folks I once used up 2 rear tires (one Metzler and one Bridgestone) in 6K miiles (3K each) and they were definately properly inflated at all times.

I usually get 6K to 8K out of a rear (mostly 2 up as was the case when I used 2 in 6K).

It primarily depends on the SPEED you ride at. At high speeds ~ 90MPH+ it takes a LOT of power through the tire to push the GL1800 through the wind and this just grinds off the rubber. Rougher roads will also contribute some. The 2 rears in 6K was all on a FAST trip cross country and back - mostly on US highways and back roads.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts