GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the parts together yet but plan on installing components to drop pressure in the air shocks on my Bushtec remotely.

I'm sure the EC unit is a quality unit but I can't justify the cost. (I also hate remotes) I am planning on installing a 12 volt solenoid bleed valve in the trailer controlled by a pushbutton switch up front. Will use the accessory wire that runs back to the trailer to power the valve . I plan on installing a self powered light in the trailer since I normally need a light when unhooked.

To operate:
1-Load the trailer.
2-Overpressurize the shocks with the appropriate pump.
3-Get on the road and depress the switch until the wheels verticalize.
4-If you screw up and let out too much air, go back to 2.

Parts should run $30 compared to $300 for the full blown EC system.

Anyone tried this yet?

Bill

·
Registered
748 Posts
bustec

that is the way I always do it...except my method of letting air out = stop the bike and do it the manual method.

I like your idea. If it works...details PLEASE!

·
Registered
634 Posts
:cool:Just curious Bill. Does your load change that much while on a trip? I usually set the suspension before leaving home on a tour and very rarely change the suspension unless my load weight changes enough to warrant a change which isn't very often.:coffee1:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changing pressures

Under normal circumstances there is no need to change pressures. the biggest problem we have is leaving home with space in the trailer. It generally gets filled up before we get home. A lot depends on how anal you are about keeping the wheels neutral (vertical). You can easily line up the wheels with the fender edges while viewing in the mirrors.

My best guess is that you can easily change the load by 30 pounds and not need to readjust the air pressure.

Every time I look at the non vertical wheels I think of the old Corvair and the reputation it gained. I guess that is why I like the keep the wheels neutral.

Bill

·
Registered
19,069 Posts
$5 air pump manually
takes 1/2 a minute

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
air pump

$5 air pump manually
takes 1/2 a minute
Getting air in the system is not the problem. Getting the correct amount in is. Only know you have the correct amount when you move the trailer.
Do you run a Bushtec?

Bill

·
Registered
421 Posts
Bushtec Air Suspension

I don't have the parts together yet but plan on installing components to drop pressure in the air shocks on my Bushtec remotely.

I'm sure the EC unit is a quality unit but I can't justify the cost. (I also hate remotes) I am planning on installing a 12 volt solenoid bleed valve in the trailer controlled by a pushbutton switch up front. Will use the accessory wire that runs back to the trailer to power the valve . I plan on installing a self powered light in the trailer since I normally need a light when unhooked.

To operate:
1-Load the trailer.
2-Overpressurize the shocks with the appropriate pump.
3-Get on the road and depress the switch until the wheels verticalize.
4-If you screw up and let out too much air, go back to 2.

Parts should run $30 compared to $300 for the full blown EC system.

Anyone tried this yet?

Bill
Bill, your idea should work out just fine. Move slowly forward and watch the wheels in the mirror while deflating.

I went one step further. I have a remote air pump on mine with a remote solenoid to deflate. I also added a leveling valve so when the wheels are vertical it will stop deflating. No need to watch the wheels. Just air it up then head down the road and press the lower button to deflate. The wheels are always at the same vertical position.

I know this sounds anal and probably over kill for many of you but it's one of those cool gadget things I came up with and just had to do. :cool:

·
Registered
19,069 Posts
I run a Bushtec. Put my load in, then pump up the tires so they are parallel like this " ll "

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run a Bushtec. Put my load in, then pump up the tires so they are parallel like this " ll "
I do the same. The friction between the tires and the ground keeps the tires from attaining the same angle as when on the road. So if you add air until the tires are parallel, the tires will be toed in after the trailer starts to move.

Again this is not critical but something I want to work on.

Thanks for the normal size type

Bill

·
Registered
421 Posts
Bushtec Suspension

I like it. What did you use for sensing axle angle?
Bill
The bushtec suspension moves in a vertical arc. The leveling valve or sometimes known as a height control valve is seeing the vertical movement and position of the A arm. The valve is attached to the top shock bolt with a linkage down to the lower shock mounting location on the A arm. The center location on the valve is off. When the suspension is over inflated the height control valve will allow air flow to the solenoid valve. Air can then be released by pressing the remote control button, this opens the solenoid valve and releases the air. When the wheels are vertical the height control valve will stop the air flow and the suspension will stop lowering. The button on the remote control can then be released and the solenoid valve will close.
Only one height control valve is required mounted on either wheel you choose. I put it on the left side because it is easier to route the tubing into the trailer to the solenoid valve.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Remote lowering valve

Got the valve installed this weekend. Looks like it will work as planned. Will post details and parts list if anyone is interested.

Bill

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I fail to understand this problem

I have a Bushtec trailer..I pump up the suspension sysen then load the trailer...I then bleed utnil the wheels are essentially vertical

Off we go and no ned for changes unless we add a LOT...an I mean a LOT of weight.....like cases of wine

Simple to adjust...takes a minute or two at most

What is the problem???

I got a great looking, great towing trailer that we ar completely satisifed with.

What am I missing :shrug:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I fail to understand this problem

I have a Bushtec trailer..I pump up the suspension sysen then load the trailer...I then bleed utnil the wheels are essentially vertical

Off we go and no ned for changes unless we add a LOT...an I mean a LOT of weight.....like cases of wine

Simple to adjust...takes a minute or two at most

What is the problem???

I got a great looking, great towing trailer that we ar completely satisifed with.

What am I missing :shrug:
I'm sure you are not missing a thing. Some like shiny parts. I like switches and wire.
Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts