GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried a new idea today and it worked great. However, this idea is only for us low income types, so all the affluent folks can stop reading now. No one with money would ever do something like this. If you are either poor like me or recently poor due to the recession, keep reading.

We are suffering through another blistering hot summer here in Texas. Since I ride in a short sleeve shirt in the summer, I usually slather a generous amount of sun block on bare arms before any long ride. Today, instead of sun block, I grabbed a pair of white cotton tube socks and cut off the toes and used them as removeable sleeves. Wetted down the "sleeves" with water and "Voila!" Arms protected from sun and cool. (200 mile round trip to San Marcos, Tx to visit my daughter.)

I realize that I am surely not the only person on earth to think of this, but it was a nice solution to a problem and it cost me nothing.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Sounds like a prety good idea to me, don't aologize for being thrifty.

greg

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,777 Posts
I just wear a white long sleeve tee shirt when it's sunny and hot and then just take it off when I stop..... then leave it on the seat to dry in the sun. Still have to put the sun screen on my face and the back of my neck though. Just another poor man's solution to the problem :lol:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I'm rich so I wouldn't do that, joking. Seriously that's a great idea and keeps the sun off. Have an ideas for he face, like a poor boy ski mask? Maybe a pair of panties with the a hole in the crotch?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
super idea ; I would like a bigger visor for my helmet , like motocrossers use.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I'm rich so I wouldn't do that, joking. Seriously that's a great idea and keeps the sun off. Have an ideas for he face, like a poor boy ski mask? Maybe a pair of panties with the a hole in the crotch?
you didnt open that door did you? BTW somebody told me they do sell them ; in flavors.:oops:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sock it to me!!!:yes: Sock it to me!!!:yes: Sock it to me!!!:yes:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I am a believer in keeping the sking covered in the sun. Regardless of how, I personally do not feel the need to drink as much liquid if I ride with my arms covered. My be a mental thing, I don't know but whether with a long sleeve shirt or mesh jacket, I still feel cooler when I am moving. That don't mean I always wear long sleeves but on long rides, yes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Today, instead of sun block, I grabbed a pair of white cotton tube socks and cut off the toes and used them as removable sleeves.
never did it to keep cool or to avoid the sun but back in the 70's when I rode in frigid temps,did it for the extra warmth on the arms.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I just wear a white long sleeve tee shirt when it's sunny and hot and then just take it off when I stop..... then leave it on the seat to dry in the sun. Still have to put the sun screen on my face and the back of my neck though. Just another poor man's solution to the problem :lol:
:yes1:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I never did like tube socks, but I ware a long sleeve T-shirt too.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts