GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this has been discussed on the forum. if it has, I apologize, and kindly forward link.

I find the FM signal extremely weak on this bike. My cardo packtalk bold picks 100 times better reception on the same frequencies.

is there a way to improve the signal. I am a south African, so we do not have XM radio as an option.

thanks community.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year and model is your bike?
my bike was produced at the factory in October 2018.
was delivered to the dealer in south Africa around april of 2019.
I only took delivery a few weeks back

·
Registered
593 Posts
That’s normal. Very poor reception on the new Goldwing.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I don't believe the new Goldwing has a poor radio. Some people just unfortunately live in areas with poor radio transmission reception. My 2018 get the same reception as my 1996 GL1500 and 2012 GL1800; excellent reception. Sorry for people who live in bad areas.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't believe the new Goldwing has a poor radio. Some people just unfortunately live in areas with poor radio transmission reception. My 2018 get the same reception as my 1996 GL1500 and 2012 GL1800; excellent reception. Sorry for people who live in bad areas.
sorry bud, but I disagree. I live in the greater Johannesburg area, so the area is not the issue.
when the reception is poor, I switch on the radio on the cardo unit, in my helmet, same station and crystal clear reception. how do you explain that? And the helmet has no external antenna. the wing has receiver in the Right saddlebag.

·
Registered
925 Posts
sorry bud, but I disagree. I live in the greater Johannesburg area, so the area is not the issue.
when the reception is poor, I switch on the radio on the cardo unit, in my helmet, same station and crystal clear reception. how do you explain that? And the helmet has no external antenna. the wing has receiver in the Right saddlebag.

Sorry that your radio is faulty. I find it hard to believe that I am one of the few who did not get a faulty radio on any Goldwing that I have owned.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not think the radio is faulty as such, I think that maybe the bikes receiving signal might not be so strong.
I thought maybe other forum might have experienced this and did a diy to rectify, but I think most members have XM installed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you don't think the Goldwing radio has poor reception.. I suggest you search for "poor radio reception" "Adding external antenna" and others. There are dozens of threads on here about this issue. I don't live in a city. I live in the country. I'm 35 miles from the most powerful radio station in Ohio... guess what? I can't pick it up most of the time around here. I use to be able to pick it up 80 miles away on the previous Wing. I did add an additional external antenna. (last week) I'm now sure if it will work or not out on the road. BUT it does pick up my favorite channel now in my shop. I can sit there and change plugs for the old antenna and the new one and it is better. (many others have stated that there wasn't any difference after they added the new antenna) So we will see when I get back on the road. But, I just wanted to say, its the bike, now where we live!!!!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
This topic comes up all the time, and I end up saying the same thing each time. Try your FM reception with your headlights off (as in, ACC mode). I'd be willing to wager a guess that you'll find the FM reception improve. LED lights are notorious for interfering with radio reception.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts