GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Has anyone had their GL1800 pop out of OD?? It has occured approximately 4 times over about a 6 month period?? Not a consistant problem but I sure can't figure out what the heck is happening? I am not "short shifting" either.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Do a search on "Ghost Shifting" and read all the details. Important that if your bike is still under warranty to call Honda and get it on record.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine did the same thing but only once so far. Went from 5th to 4th by itself. Pretty scary, glad I was not on a curve. Have't contacted dealer yet, I Know I should. Just one instance they will likely blame me for poor shifting technique. I have read all of the ghost shifting post's, not good.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Try to always shift firmly and deliberately. I have had it happen, but it's been a long time.

2W

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had that happen on my '08 a couple of times. I asked an experienced Wing rider about it and he asked me if I had a new pair of boots on. I did and made a more deliberate effort in my shifing and it never happened again. Also if you go with a heel& toe shifter you may experience a little shifting problem at first.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Do a search on "Ghost Shifting" and read all the details. Important that if your bike is still under warranty to call Honda and get it on record.
:agree: you should let your dealer know and get it documented. Trust me this can get expensive.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Yea, get it documented. Could be big trouble. While it seldom happens, it could be big trouble.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Spitting out of 5th by itself is where the term "Ghost Shifting" evolved from.You didn't do it so it must of been a Ghost..:shrug:

As someone said.a dealer will try and say you must of not shifted properly.But that was when Honda was saying "we haven't heard of that before".That was years ago,and now Honda has a direct line (punch #2 for Goldwing) that deals with the 1800 issues.
Because they are having to deal with a small percentage of tranny issues not a handful when this first surfaced year ago.

I suggest you take the bike in anyways and have the mechanic test ride the bike.even though he will more than likely at this point say "I couldn't get it to do it."

Then call Honda customer support each and every time it does it again,and it will too!
http://powersports.honda.com/questions/customer.aspx

It doesn't hurt to have the same guy test ride it after you experience it again either.Even though he won't fin it.It's creating a trail of events that will help YOU later on down the line should it totally fail.

Honda will log all your complaints each and every time.When you talk to a support person-Ask for their name and "Direct line 5 digit extension" It saves you from all the double talk each time you call them back.

When you call the above number you are asked is you know the parties extension-Press 8-you then enter the extension and go directly to the same person you are dealing with!

I just got a new engine because I documented each dealer experience,and reported the dealers lack of identifying my issue.Honda was aware from the start and stood behind my blown up gear box in spite of the dealer saying to my face-This is not normal and shouldn't have happened unless you were in high RPM's to do that much damage".

So is anyone has any issues with a ghost shifter.Then get it tested out at a dealer and then place the call to Honda if you are in warranty/ex-warranty.It's a CYA policy that works!.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine did it with 1200 miles on it

Since, then I read about someone writing that right after a shift, they hold up the shift peg until they let the clutch out. Since I've been doing that, I have felt several times some kind of a click in the peg, like it was settling in or completely shifting something. Anyway it has NOT kicked out again since.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Double tap into 1st and 5th... Meaning hold the clutch in and shift it a second time before letting the clutch out when going into 1st and into 5th. *MOST* issues arise between 1st and 2nd with a false neutral or between 4th and 5th with one of three immediate outcomes...

1. shifts down from 5th into 4th and then back into 5th by itself (Official Ghost Term started here due to this type of tranny failure when I started the 'Another Blown Tranny' thread.)
2. shifts out of 5th into a false neutral which may have some interesting mechanical noises
3. shifts out of 5th into 4th and stays in 4th.

Obviously ANY Ghost Shift in a curve can be seriously bad news so be careful if yours is in fact Ghost Shifting.

This will help ensure that she is fully in gear.

All of the above statements can be found in the ghost shifting threads or 'another blown tranny' thread.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
That is the way mine started...an occasional shift from 5th to 4th. Then it became more frequent and 'noisy'. Then it wouldn't stay in 5th at all. I did like others and had it checked out by the dealer as the problem progressed and, like others, the problem did not always appear for them in the beginning. When it did at the end, they dealt with it without a problem (under warranty). If you want to have some fun (???) get them to let you observe when the mechanic opens the tranny so you can see what was really going on inside. That was certainly educational for me. The heat generated by the problem parts was stunning.

S

·
0 Posts
Hello all! Has anyone had their GL1800 pop out of OD?? It has occured approximately 4 times over about a 6 month period?? Not a consistant problem but I sure can't figure out what the heck is happening? I am not "short shifting" either.
Mine doesn't have an overdrive so I guess I can't happen to me :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Mine doesn't have an overdrive so I guess I can't happen to me :thumbup:
Assuming you have an 1800, yours does not have an OD light that comes on when you shift into 5th?

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
Spitting out of 5th by itself is where the term "Ghost Shifting" evolved from.You didn't do it so it must of been a Ghost..:shrug:

As someone said.a dealer will try and say you must of not shifted properly.But that was when Honda was saying "we haven't heard of that before".That was years ago,and now Honda has a direct line (punch #2 for Goldwing) that deals with the 1800 issues.
Because they are having to deal with a small percentage of tranny issues not a handful when this first surfaced year ago.

I suggest you take the bike in anyways and have the mechanic test ride the bike.even though he will more than likely at this point say "I couldn't get it to do it."

Then call Honda customer support each and every time it does it again,and it will too!
http://powersports.honda.com/questions/customer.aspx

It doesn't hurt to have the same guy test ride it after you experience it again either.Even though he won't fin it.It's creating a trail of events that will help YOU later on down the line should it totally fail.

Honda will log all your complaints each and every time.When you talk to a support person-Ask for their name and "Direct line 5 digit extension" It saves you from all the double talk each time you call them back.

When you call the above number you are asked is you know the parties extension-Press 8-you then enter the extension and go directly to the same person you are dealing with!

I just got a new engine because I documented each dealer experience,and reported the dealers lack of identifying my issue.Honda was aware from the start and stood behind my blown up gear box in spite of the dealer saying to my face-This is not normal and shouldn't have happened unless you were in high RPM's to do that much damage".

So is anyone has any issues with a ghost shifter.Then get it tested out at a dealer and then place the call to Honda if you are in warranty/ex-warranty.It's a CYA policy that works!.
Well summarized:yes1:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts