GL1800Riders Forums banner

Portable air compressor

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Wingman26 
#1 ·
Some time ago I read a post about taking a Walmart 12 volt air compresor and making modifications to carry on their bike.

Can someone point me to the article or instructions?

Thanks

#2 ·
Basically, all you do is get the cheap $10 or so air compressor and remove the case. Some attach battery clamps so they can attach the cord directly to the battery. I found a very small compressor and removing the case did not reduce the size very much so I left it on and store it in the space that the CD player should reside. I added a power outlet and have it attached directly to a fused power plate so that amperage is not an issue.

#3 ·
Campbell Hausfeld
RP1200

Small and compact and cost me $9.39 at Wal-Mart. Works great! It took about 5 minutes to inflate my rear tire to 42 psi. and the plugger gun (Stop'n Go) is a super way to plug a puncture.

Some riders remove the plastic case and just carry the small parts inside. It's so small I just pack it my bags.

#6 ·
I have considered this one, I'm still on the fence on which way I'm going to go. Just scroll down to Cycle pump
http://www.bestrestproducts.com/
Why pay $80 for a pump you can get at Walmart for $10 ?

I used my $10 Walmart pump to inflate another GL1800 riders rear tire after putting a plug in it last weekend and it worked great.

#7 ·
I would take a guess that if you opened up that $80 models aluminum project box, you would find the same guts as the $10 or $15 ones you find at WalMart. I was pretty lucky, I already had one of those small compressors, and its plastic case wasn't oversized, so I didn't even need to remove the case! :D

Or you can always make your own, buy the cheap air compressor, go to Radio Shack and buy one of their aluminum project boxes, take off the plastic and put the rest inside the project box. VOILA! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.