GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a general question, does anyone carry whether everyday or say on long trips, a Portable Car Jump Starter? They have some on Amazon that are so small that they wouldn't take up a lot of room. Just curious as yesterday I came out of a store and went to start my bike and nothing. Totally dead, called roadside and they were out in about 30 minutes, was able to jump start me and follow me home.

Today, took the battery to get load tested and it was almost not able to be load tested. Put in a new battery and on my way again. I guess the real reason I ask is I live in Arizona and a lot of times I am out on some very back roads riding, like to fly my drone in remote areas, anyway I would have hated for this to happen to me out in the boondocks.

I will take full responsibility, I do keep it on a battery tender 24/7, but I have only had the 2002 for about 5 months and when I first brought the bike home I had the battery tested and was told it was in good shape. Probably where I went wrong was there was no date on the battery, should have probably just replaced it for piece of mind when I bought the bike. Lesson learned

Greatly appreciate anyone's comments on carrying a Portable Car Jump Starter.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Won't leave home without it. I have 2 one for the car and one for the bike. Not sure of the specific model I bought but I've used it numerous times to jump start stranded cars and it has never failed me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I carry the Rugged Geek RG1000 GEN2, in my truck and the bike, it is an excellent jump starter that has worked flawlessly on numerous occasions. I only have to give them a charge about once a year.

·
IronMan
17,634 Posts
got one used on cars but so far not "on my bike " :wink2:

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've got the GOOLOO 800A brick along with a mini-air compressor and a tire repair kit. The GOOLOO is a bit large, but I've used it to start several cars and to run the mini-air compressor for filling tires. It's worked great and has extra ports for charging things like iPhones, running camp lights, etc. I get nervous if I leave home without these items.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Brightech Scorpion

https://www.amazon.com/Brightech-SmartJump-Technology-Combination-Electronics/dp/B00K0VMXDQ

Greatest thing since sliced bread! Comes in a handy little zippered case, has multiple cords so that you can charge any flavor phone or laptop. Jumped multiple lawn mowers and a Kubota tractor on a single charge! Advertised for six cylinder car engines, but I have jumped my 5.4 F-250 with it.
I won't leave the house without it!

As my Dad would've said, "This thing is the cat's meow!" :1st:

Two Thumbs Up!!! :yes1::yes1:

:flg: 'Murica!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I carry one that came from Interstate batteries since my wife worked there. Never needed it so far. My 08 battery is still original and works fine. I don't replace things still working for "peace of mind". Too many times new fails where old would still be working just fine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your input and letting me know which one's you are using. I am definitely going to get one ordered her in the next day or two. I want to get one that doesn't take up a lot of room and still has enough peak mAH to do the job.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
My philosophy is you never have the problem you are prepared for. You stop and put on your rain gear and the guarantee is after you wrestle, undress, get redressed and back on the bike, you will look up and the threatening black clouds will have dissipated. My 1500 carried an alternator in the left saddlebag for several years without ever needing to be replaced. On a trip to Idaho, I decided that the alternator was never going to go out, so I left the alternator home. It costs almost $80 to have an alternator overnighted on a weekend from Nebraska to a motel Idaho....

So... I now have a jump start box in my trunk... have used it on 3 other bikes, one another brand who wasn’t going to take any help from a winger(until every other option was completely exhausted)sure enough, it works...

So, as long as it is in the bag, I WILL NEVER NEED IT!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
It's like an insurance policy. It's annoying to pay for the premium; but should I need it, I'll be damned glad I have it.

On long (multi-day) trips I carry one of these "toys" made by Nekteck, Model Number: NK-JS12000. See attached picture. It says that it provides 500 Amps Peak. I've not had to use it on any of my bikes . . . . yet. But I did have to rescue my better half following a Diehard Battery Test of her car while at work. The Battery was so dead you could count the windings on the filament of the Headlight Bulb. I hooked up this package to the battery of the car, twisted the key and the car started instantly. It was as if there was nothing wrong at all. This took just 5% of the charge on this unit. It still had 95% of it's charge remaining. Prior to using it I had charged it at least six months previously. To say that I'm a happy camper and a true believer in the value of these things would be hard to over-state. I paid $60 for mine last summer via Amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are the four I am looking at, if anyone has any thoughts as to these four I would greatly appreciate your words of wisdom on what one you would consider worthy of keeping in your saddle bag!

Thanks guys,

https://www.amazon.com/Beatit-18000...&slotNum=17&tag=car-search-20#customerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-Jump...=B077HY7SFJ&psc=1&refRID=2EYK1DR1J5G1B23FTGFR

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BGRN4TF/ref=psdc_318336011_t3_B077HY7SFJ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VIN920M/ref=emc_b_5_t

I kind of like the third one down, the Tacklife T8

·
Registered
881 Posts
I carry one I purchased from Costco after the Anti-Gravity Micro split its case. It was about four years old and had used it three or four times when I noticed the
case splitting. Wouldn't leave home with out one.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Just a general question, does anyone carry whether everyday or say on long trips, a Portable Car Jump Starter? They have some on Amazon that are so small that they wouldn't take up a lot of room. Just curious as yesterday I came out of a store and went to start my bike and nothing. Totally dead, called roadside and they were out in about 30 minutes, was able to jump start me and follow me home.

Today, took the battery to get load tested and it was almost not able to be load tested. Put in a new battery and on my way again. I guess the real reason I ask is I live in Arizona and a lot of times I am out on some very back roads riding, like to fly my drone in remote areas, anyway I would have hated for this to happen to me out in the boondocks.

I will take full responsibility, I do keep it on a battery tender 24/7, but I have only had the 2002 for about 5 months and when I first brought the bike home I had the battery tested and was told it was in good shape. Probably where I went wrong was there was no date on the battery, should have probably just replaced it for piece of mind when I bought the bike. Lesson learned

Greatly appreciate anyone's comments on carrying a Portable Car Jump Starter.
NEVER SEEN THE anti gravity micro start. Looks very interesting but I would not bother with it just change the battery every two to four years. You would have to store micro start on the bike and that's a lot power that can go wrong in my opinion. And you will only have to start someone else's bike. They have a battery life monitor you can install on your bike. That's what I would do. The wing has never not started for me in 5yrs or so. Just watch your battery life and keep it on the tender.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Geez I never knew these types of battery jump starters even existed. Pretty cool. Would love to have one for the boat. Am going to order one today. Thanks for the post!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
sur48, the Anti Gravity was the original portable quality jump starter. All the others are copies, IMHO. I have been using mine for years! I carry it on my bike to boost myself, other bikes and even other vehicles! I have used it probably 20 times at least! It takes up little room & gives me piece of mind wherever I travel! I use it with the travel case when taken in my truck & just with the cables when on the bike! It is always with me!!

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/micro-starts/xp-3/

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The cables for these don't look very substantial. Would a Battery tender connection with a larger fuse carry the "Juice"?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts