GL1800Riders Forums banner

Portable CB radios

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  klbj1961 
#1 ·
I ride a 01 Wing and Harley and looking for a CB to use on both bikes.
I have J&M installed in the helmet for intercom use and want to use the same hookup.
The wing CB too high $ :cry:
I would like the CB to be handy to change between the bikes and good enough to talk bike to bike with my buds.
Any and all suggestions welcome :)

#3 ·
This is what I use............

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/digitalgift ... 5-785.html

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp ... tID=RHD-10

This setup works just as fine as any $1000 CB on the market. It can be used AC/DC. I have the Cig. lighter adpt. I used it with batteries only on a four day trip and only turned the unit off one night(kept forgetting) and still held a good charge. This is comparable to the Cobra 40 channel CB kit listed in Wing World. You will need a mounting plate.....With the Cobra everything is included. I had a plate that I used.

G
#5 ·
I am using Midland's 75-822 CB radio, mounted inside the trunk. I already had Kennedy's FRSet to use with a Midland GMRS/FRS radio. Found out the FRSet will work with the Midland CB, too.

The CB talk switch on the left handlebar, keys the mic. The integrated squelch control and channel changer controls don't do anything, however. Those controls have to be operated at the radio. With the FRSet, the unit DOES work through the bike's intercom system, so volume can be controlled remotely, too.

Unit seems to work well at short distances. I don't know whether I am going to be satisfied with the trunk mount, or whether I'm going to want to reach the squelch control, and mount the radio on the handlebars. The Midland CB can scan channels, so that makes the remote set up plausible.

G
#7 ·
Federalfreddy said:
Mark
Can you give me a bit more info on the CB hookup.
Do you still use the 1800wing audio and helmet hookup?
Do you happen to know the J&M line part #
Thanks
The Kennedy FRSet, plugs into the intercom system where the passenger push to talk connection is, under the seat. There is a plug, which runs to the audio and mic connections on the radio. Kennedy makes different plugs for different radios. Check with them. My plug fits the Midland radios. The Kennedy CBSet, I believe, works the same way. I bought the FRSet for FRS and GMRS radios, then found it works for Midland CB as well. I ran the plug to the trunk, where the radio can sit. Otherwise, plug could be run to handlebars. Talk to Kennedy so they know the length of the wires you need.

The CB or GMRS/FRS radio is on the intercom circuit, and you can listen and talk on the CB or FRS radio through the GL1800 intercom system. I use Chatterbox headset, and don't know the J&M part numbers. Any headset compatible with the GL1800 audio system works. You can listen to any part of the bike's audio system (radio, aux, etc.) while using the CB, since the CB is on the intercom system. You do have to turn on the intercom for it to work. The GL1800 push to talk button operates the mic on the CB, just as it would an integrated CB. Intercom volume controls the CB's volume. The GL1800's built in squelch and channel selection switches don't work, however.

The FRSet requires no power to work. I run the CB radio on AA batteries, but you could install an outlet in the trunk to plug into DC, or otherwise wire to the bike's electrical system, if you preferred.

Any handheld CB, with a short antenna, will not have the transmitting range of an installed CB with a longer antenna. But for the amount of time I use the CB, I think this unit will work fine for me. Both the CB and the GMRS/FRS radios broadcast and receive fine from inside the trunk, where they are waterproof.

#9 ·
I have a Cobra CB mounted on the handlebar and the Kennedy hook up that lets me us the Honda Control push to talk. It works fine. I made my own bracket. You can see picture on this board site under Redwing03. I think they are on page two or three.

The advantage, price. The disadvantage, need to remove CB if you leave bike out of sight. takes about 10 seconds to remove or mount.

If it rains, cover CB with plastic bag. Kennedy set lets you use push to talk and volume. Squelch and on off must be controled at the radio.

#11 ·
Portable CB

I have installed the Kennedy Tech wiring harness on my wing. Made my own bracket for my Cobra hand held CB.

The Kennedy Tech harness allows you to use the Push to talk (PTT) button on the wing and all audio goes through the intercom system. I have J & M in both helmets and it works great.

You can be listening to your stereo with the CB on. If there is activity on the CB it will cut in and you can communicate. The stereo volume will automatically be lowered when there is CB activity

The nice thing about using the Kennedy hookup is that it allows you to also use FRS (Family Radio System) 2-way radios. So if you are riding with folks that do not have a CB or they are in a car, you can use these FRS radios to communicate. You can find a pair of FRS radios on sale at BestBuy for $25 - Radio Shack has head sets with PTT microphones for $19.95 - (Cheap alternative for other riders to commuincate).

I also use the same setup for my Icom HAM HT radio.

Good luck

Barry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.