GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm not riding my motorcycle (keeping this motorcycle related) I have to work. I travel a lot and I also use a Bipap when I sleep. An ice storm hit Paducah, Ky, where I'm currently working, yesterday and the power is out all over the area. I slept sitting in a chair last night since my Bipap wouldn't work and I was trying to avoid Death for a few more days. The power is going to be out for several days so I moved to a hotel 100 miles south of Paducah and will drive it everyday until they get the power restored. Anyway, I have been thinking of a way that I could have some portable power I could carry with me in case this happens again and I was seeking input from the brain trust on this site. I want it to be something I can either recharge in the truck or something I can carry into the plant and charge during the day. It also needs to be reasonably small so it can live in the back floorboard of the pickup. I have been eyeballing the Duracell Powerpack 600 ($130) but I also thought about just getting a deep cycle battery and an inverter. Or, for $200 more I can get an 1500 watt Xantrex powerpack that could be used like a generator at home if needed. The downside (other than the cost) is that it weighs 60#. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

· Registered
8,027 Posts
If it will operate on 12 V a Deep Cycle is the easy way out. A friend of mine that rides with us takes his machine with him camping, ad has used it for 3 to 4 days without problems, and a cheap solar panel will normally keep it toped off, or wired into the truck system, like an RV switch will work too..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.