GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a portable Audiovox Sirius receiver with two car mounts and a home mount. I'd like to install another car mount on my GL1800 and was wondering what mounting solutions or ideas other Goldwing riders have tried.

So far satellite is everything they say it is - I may never listen to commercial radio again.

Happy New Year,
Paul Woodford
Tuscon AZ USA
2001 IR ABS

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm waiting for all the parts to come in, but I plan on using a ram mount on the right handlebar. I thought about a center mount, to mount where the GoldWing tag is at just below the key, but decided I didn't want it there.

I'm also making a mounting bracket out of stainless to mount the antenna (I don't have a luggage rack). The bracket will be mounted behing the passenger seat back and bent over the top of the trunk lid, just far enough for the antenna to stick to.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sirius mount

I used a ram mount kit for a Garmin Street Pilot that I got from Cycle Gadgets. It works great and the holes on the mount line up with the Audiovox perfectly. Just a word of caution...... I hit a big bump on a ride, after mounting the Audiovox radio, and it flew right out of the base. I was able to catch it before it went flying down the road, but now I have added 2 rubber bands to make sure it doesn't do that again. Maybe some well plaved velcro would work, I may try that. Be glad to post a pic if you'd like to see it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Paul,

After a lot of back and forth I chose the Kenwood Serius receiver because it seemed like the simplest to mount on my 03 1800 and still have the portability to use it in the car. But you should be able to mount the Audiovox in a similar manner.

I mounted the car docking base on the left fairing pocket, hard wired to power. Audio output is through the auxiliary plug or FM but the FM is not as sharp as the aux.

The antenna is mounted on the dash where my windshield meets the dash.

All of the connectors exit through the opening below the left windshield adjustment lever. I have a Tulsa windshield, which doesn't adjust, so the lever will not be moving anyway -- it just stays in the down position.

The Kenwood base is Velcro mounted to the fairing pocket cover with heavy duty marine velcro.

So far reception is perfect and the unit slips right out of the base for use in the house or car, or for protection on the road. Everything works, the fairing pocket door opens easily. I cannot see the radio dial but I don't play with it while riding anyway. My wife uses the remote.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just keep my Sirius controller in the right pocket. I seldom change the station so I don't need to look at it all day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts