GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be traveling to Portland this summer and would like to know where a good place to stay. ie South Portland, Old Port area or ??? Also any spots of interest? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
POINTS OF INTEREST.
OLD ORCHARD BEACH
LL BEANS IN FREEPORT
DESERT OF MAINE
ACADIA NATIONAL PARK
SEBAGO LAKE AREA
MOOSEHEAD LAKE AREA (DESOLATE)
THE LOBSTER POUND IN LINCOLNVILLE BEACH (MMM MMM GOOD)
KENNEBUNK/PORT

CAPTAIN NEWICKS (MMM MMM GOOD)
MY BROTHER OR FATHER'S PLACE IN LEWISTON

PORTSMOUTH NEW HAMPSHIRE.

DRIVE THE COAST!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I went to Maine a few years back for two weeks. I drove up from Orlando and drove all over Maine. The place I liked the best was Bucksport. The place I stayed for one night was on the water where two rivers came together and had a great view of an old fort. I stayed in Portland the first night I was in Maine but found it to be away from most of the sites. Not that it wasnt a nice city but not with the views I saw later in my trip. Dont make the mistake I made on my second night and wait until dark to find a room. I was in Camden. The rooms were almost double what I paid for any other room. I will say there wasnt any place I saw in Maine that wasnt very nice. I would love to take another trip up there.

G

·
0 Posts
Chef-

Is that Newick's in Hampton, NH you're referring to? If so, it's gone :cry:

Boothbay Harbor is a fun little "village"....Tugboat Inn is our favorite spot to stay (right on a working harbor.)

G

·
0 Posts
Also.....another "institution".....

Moody's Diner, Rte 1, Waldeboro (I think)......ummmmm, blueberry pie a la mode. Not to be missed! :wink:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
No, Capt'n Newicks. One in Portland and one somewhere's else. Not related to Newick's in Portsmouth

·
Registered
230 Posts
I live about 35 miles up the coast from Portland in the historic shipbuilding city of Bath. The above suggestions are great! I have to add taking a Casco Bay Ferry sightseeing the many islands dotting Casco Bay....Leaves from the Old Port of Portland. Depending on how much time you have, try to break the state into sections for places to visit....there is so much to see and do...Especially on a motorcycle tour!! The coast can get quite busy at times in the Summer....but there are so many "gunkholes" to discover and see. I find more every year.

Drop me a line if you want more detailed suggestions or ideas....
Good luck,
Todd

G

·
0 Posts
Hey, Mainecoast--

Back in '67, I spent a year in Bath.....graduated HS in '66, did a post-graduate year at Hyde in '67....1st graduate EVER of Hyde School!
All in the quest to get into college (Miami/Ohio).... haven't been back to Bath since '67 (except on my way up the coast!)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey Ron,

Small world for sure. I went to Morse High here in Bath. Hyde School is still going strong! 67 was a long time ago:)......you should check us out the next time through on your way to Moody's(smile).
Todd

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You guys have some good ideas, but I am under the impression that to ride and view the coast that there is a lot of jogs.

I like the coast view from Hampton Beach to Portsmouth but not sure where the best seascapes in Maine would be. Did like Orrs island.

Any good ideas to check out?

Don Swanburg
Nashua, NH

·
Registered
261 Posts
When are you going to Maine. My wife and I live in Southern NH and we'd be glad to do a ride for you. We like the Holiday Inn, downtown Portland it's within walking distance to everything and the views from the 11th floor are awesome.

Newicks is Owned by Jack Newick in Dover Point NH (My home town) He has restaurants in 3 places Dover Point, Portland ME, and Merrimack NH.

A Nice Ride is Starting in Hampton Beach and Riding through Portsmouth through Kittery to Yourk, and York Beach to Ogunquitand up the coast. You can stop at the Nubble Lighthouse in Yourk Beach and enjoy the view. Of course the best time in the summer to do this ride is Mon - Thursday. If you have enough time You should go to Canada.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Some say there are "two Maines".....If one wants to see the "old" Maine, head way Down East all the way to Lubec and Eastport....Serene, beautiful, unspoiled, quiet, and 25 ft tides.....

Then there is the "County" in the North...rolling farmland, French Canadian culture, and the people are friendly as anywhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts