GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally moved on to a newer GL1800 (a UK-spec 2015 ABS & SatNav model) and I am surprised to find that it doesn't have Position Lights – or even the wiring for it. Is this because it is a UK-spec or are even US-specs the same for this '2nd generation' 1800?

Without a Position Light signal, it no longer seems to be possible to use all those amber Kuryakyn accessories as both running lights AND turn signal lights? I say that because the Position Light seems to be there solely to give you a signal telling you when the appropriate turn signal is NOT currently active, and so that's what you use to power your amber lights when they are in use as a running light rather than a turn signal.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the confirmation. I guess that means we can't use the amber accessory lighting for the two purposes (unless I can find a signal somewhere that tells me a turn signal is active).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Are the front mirror lights 2 wire or 3 wire. You can easily check by folding the Mirror forward and looking at the harness. Or Using a JIS #2 remove the screw
to remove the mirror glass to access the bulb.If 2 wire then they are only turn signals. If 3 wire then they are turn and park. Otherwise they do not turn off the park to turn on the turn signal. PM me if you want me to send you a copy of the turn wiring for US bikes, as I have the manual.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are indeed only 2 wires feeding the mirror lights – that's what made me worry that there is no Position Signal on this bike.

Meanwhile though.....I have indeed found a signal (2 actually*) which tells me that a turn signal is active (though not which one exactly, but I can live with that).

The 'Turn Signal Switch' appears to have a Purple wire which is grounded if the switch is pressed left OR right – it heads to the "Turn Signal Cancel Unit". I don't know whether this is momentary or latches though (since the switch itself bounces back to the centre position).

If it latches until the switch is pressed to cancel the indicators, I could invert that signal with a relay and use it as a pseudo Position Signal. It would mean BOTH Position Lights turning off while either indicator is on, but that's OK.

*The 'Turn Signal Switch' also appears to have an Lg/W wire which is grounded when the switch is pushed, and it too heads to the "Turn Signal Cancel Unit" – it presumably doesn't latch though (otherwise I would expect the diagram to show a default position for all the signals)?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
There are indeed only 2 wires feeding the mirror lights – that's what made me worry that there is no Position Signal on this bike.

Meanwhile though.....I have indeed found a signal (2 actually*) which tells me that a turn signal is active (though not which one exactly, but I can live with that).

The 'Turn Signal Switch' appears to have a Purple wire which is grounded if the switch is pressed left OR right – it heads to the "Turn Signal Cancel Unit". I don't know whether this is momentary or latches though (since the switch itself bounces back to the centre position).

If it latches until the switch is pressed to cancel the indicators, I could invert that signal with a relay and use it as a pseudo Position Signal. It would mean BOTH Position Lights turning off while either indicator is on, but that's OK.

*The 'Turn Signal Switch' also appears to have an Lg/W wire which is grounded when the switch is pushed, and it too heads to the "Turn Signal Cancel Unit" – it presumably doesn't latch though (otherwise I would expect the diagram to show a default position for all the signals)?
Just be careful messing with the trigger wire for the cancel unit, it’s easy to blow it up and permanently kill your signals. $$$ :frown2:

The trigger will be a momentary ground when the switch is pushed left or right. When the switch is pushed in to cancel them, it’s another momentary ground on a different wire. If you need a latched ground, you need to trace the wires between the cancel unit and the flasher relay, the flasher relay’s trigger ground comes from the cancel unit and is present until the turn is completed.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much for your input, techdude – it's nice to hear from you again after all these years.

I suspect I will give up on the idea, as any solution is starting to look quite inelegant.

I find it strange that Kuryakyn and others sell these amber lights with the boast that they can be used as both running and turn signal lights, and yet for some Wings that just is not true!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Thanks very much for your input, techdude – it's nice to hear from you again after all these years.

I suspect I will give up on the idea, as any solution is starting to look quite inelegant.

I find it strange that Kuryakyn and others sell these amber lights with the boast that they can be used as both running and turn signal lights, and yet for some Wings that just is not true!
So, the UK wing has no position lights at all? That means the turn signal switch is probably missing the position light switch parts as well. These missing parts of the switch, combined with the position light relay is how the US version maintains and turns off the position light on the side that is flashing. You could still use the added lights as turn signals only.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I am probably the only idiot that had to go to Google to find out what 'ntarnation a "position light" is. I thought you guys "might" have been referring to tail/parking lights. Google says it is the rid/green lamps on an airplane that help others discern left and right side of plane from distant prospective; or tail lights.

So why not run the amber lamps from the head lamps using the aftermarket plug'n play circuit from Electrical Connection that allows "fog?driving" lamps with low and high beams? That way, the ambers are always on.

prs

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I am probably the only idiot that had to go to Google to find out what 'ntarnation a "position light" is. I thought you guys "might" have been referring to tail/parking lights. Google says it is the rid/green lamps on an airplane that help others discern left and right side of plane from distant prospective; or tail lights.

So why not run the amber lamps from the head lamps using the aftermarket plug'n play circuit from Electrical Connection that allows "fog?driving" lamps with low and high beams? That way, the ambers are always on.

prs
I looked it up I'm still not sure what they are... or for that matter why they are even needed. I saw lights on the end of a plane's wings if that is it but that is a plane not a motorcycle. Oh well, I have important things to do. :wink2:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You will see "Position Lights" mentioned by Honda in GoldWing manuals, where they are referring to what many people now call "Daytime Running Lights".

On the 1800, the turn signals are dual-purpose (though not in the UK, it seems!) and have 2 filaments – a 5W and a 21W. The 5W filament is used as a running light (i.e. on all the time) until that bulb is needed as a turn signal – the filament is then turned off. Until the turn signal is cancelled, the 21W filament does the normal on-off flashing. Once the turn signal cancels, the 5W filament turns on again.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Yes, they are the same as parking lights on a car. They are mostly for orientation in the dark directed at an oncoming vehicle. 1 white light with 2 amber lights on each side of it, indicates a motorcycle approaching, similar to the wing lights on airplanes. I find it curious that they aren’t used in the UK.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
(Here at least) Day-time running light is usually the headlight, running at lower power level, or a separate headlight (but still white) with a lower wattage.

Different function and colour than parking/marker/position/blinker.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would like to see a picture of YOUR mirror bulb pigtail. If at all possible Big Wing. And the connector from the pig tail to the Biks connector.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Muth company can sell you some easy to install mirrors with the light up arrow led that are sequential like old Cougar car not very much and you and other can see them at night I had them on my 2007 comes with just the glass and harness that is plug and ply
mirror company

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
You will see "Position Lights" mentioned by Honda in GoldWing manuals, where they are referring to what many people now call "Daytime Running Lights".

On the 1800, the turn signals are dual-purpose (though not in the UK, it seems!) and have 2 filaments – a 5W and a 21W. The 5W filament is used as a running light (i.e. on all the time) until that bulb is needed as a turn signal – the filament is then turned off. Until the turn signal is cancelled, the 21W filament does the normal on-off flashing. Once the turn signal cancels, the 5W filament turns on again.
Thanks. Been riding for over 50 years all over the US and never head of them. However... I have heard of running lights and parking lights. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would like to see a picture of YOUR mirror bulb pigtail. If at all possible Big Wing. And the connector from the pig tail to the Biks connector.

Recommend watch this video.......

This shows the three wire mirror pigtail and it can show how to add a wire for your concern.

Here you go.

I would love to add those SoCalMoto lights to my bike, but I suspect they need the Position Light signal? I didn't understand when you said "it can show how to add a wire for your concern".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts