GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets, gang! Topic is about J&M earpieces. Now, I'm trying to keep this on-focus here, replies on in-the-ear/custom earpieces are not solicited at this time. I tried this to mixed success, so I'm back to see what I can do to improve the current setup.

In particular, I had initially purchased J&M 277's for both of our helmets. They worked okay (not great) in our initial set of less-than-stellar fitting Fulmer modulars.

We've upgraded (okay, slightly...) in the realm of helmets, and those standard-sized earpieces are a bit uncomfortable now. Wife has KBC modular, I went with HJC SymMax II modular

This is the current (standard) earpiece:

This is the ultra-thin earpiece:

They give the dimension as 13mm thick on the one above. I can't find (anywhere) the thickness of the standard earpiece - anyone have a caliper to make a measurement?

A final comment:

Again, no thickness dimension on these. The problem on mine is that one earpiece (typically the left) never wants to line up and stay lined up with my ear; no problems with the right.

What in the heck am I doing wrong? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Having replaced, installed lots of these monsters I will tell you they all have thier own special needs, some you must cut part of the styrofoam inside the helment away to allow proper placement, some you have to epoxy the velcro backing to the inside of the helment to keep it form coming loose under the tensions of the chin strap, the best idea I can give you is to locate where you want them to be, I find putting the helment on and marking each side one at a time with my finger and taking the helmet off and marking either with tape or a marker then laying the speaker in that area and see what is in the way of it staying there. Then either removing what is in the way or adjusting the orientation of the speaker to fit.
What I am really saying is it is a lot of TRAIL AND ERROR. Remeber the closer the speakers are to your ears the better the sound quality.
Good Luck , hope this helps some.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to try and modify the first one in my original post to look similar to the second one with a little craft work; let ya know how things turn out in a day or two.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Guess I took the cheap way out. I had a set of those huge J&M speakers but they didnt fit inside my new Shoei 3/4 helmet. So I got a set of speakers from edsets, swapped out the connectors and they work fine. The speakers from edsets are like $12 a piece compared to the J&M thin ones for $37 each (OUCH!) I didnt have to cut into my helmet and I dont have any clearance issues.

Just my solution to my problem. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Improvised Solution Within!

I'm going to try and modify the first one in my original post to look similar to the second one with a little craft work; let ya know how things turn out in a day or two.
Guess I took the cheap way out. I had a set of those huge J&M speakers but they didn't fit inside my new Shoei 3/4 helmet.<...> I didn't have to cut into my helmet and I don't have any clearance issues.
Nope, Towerhog, I took the cheap way out! :lol:

My wife and I just completed the modification to our set (the top picture) and (sorta) made 'em look like the second picture. Removed the slip-on plastic-lined-foam-circular-cover. With a piece of Velcro sewn into the back, along with a piece of (of all things) headliner material as a cushion, formed sleeves that the speaker itself slid into; used adhesive Velcro to close, along with Velcro to hold fabric sleeve on the helmet. (whatever did we do before Velcro??) Mine seem to fit much, much better in my HJC SyMax II, and I've got a small amount of adjustment (probably using another sliver of that headliner material) left to do on my wife's setup in her KBC FFR Retro lid.

Not a great deal of sound dampening using the headliner material, at least for a 30 second audio checkout in the garage; that was a good thing. Already had the sewing machine, along with the serger, so seams should not come apart - ever.

Seven bucks for the materials and a couple of hours for design and assembly. Won't get a chance to try them out until Saturday :-( Can't wait to finally be comfortable with in-helmet earpieces properly positioned in a helmet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts