GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to have a "fix" yesterday since I hadn't ridden in a week.:oops: So, left the house in the rain and 45 degrees.

While enjoying the ride, I got to thinking about what I consider to be positives coming from a ride or rides in the rain. These are in no particular order. Maybe you can add some of your own.

Less traffic all around, especially the 2-wheeled variety.

Less brake dust collecting on your wheels.

A chance to see if you have adequate rain and/or heated gear. And the chance to see if it works well.

I know a couple of people who won't ride, if there's even a chance of rain. They're missing out. When you've done it a few times you find out that it can be enjoyable. You also find that your confidence builds with each time.:thumbup:

You'll find out, hopefully not the hard way, whether your tires need replacing or are bad in the wet.:eek:4:

You'll be reminded that tar snakes are slippery as snot when wet.:22yikes: On your front tire.;)

And when you get home, you see if that old bottle of car wash soap is still good, because you will wash it right away......won't you?:twisted:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well, I avoid riding in the rain if possible. I just do not like it. It changes the whole ride for me to a much more defensive ride. It can be good practice though. More power to you.:beer3:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I agree on skill building in the rain and that it increases your focus on riding. Burnouts are easier too :lol:

Sounds like it was just you riding Paul, no other takers? I got the girl out Saturday, cleaned a little and then off for a quick 200, no rain, just sun and 50 degrees. Perfect....See ya soon.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Even though it doesn't rain all that much in sunny and beautiful North Dakota, I end up riding a fair amount in the rain because wet days are often my best opportunities to get away from the farm in the summer. Riding in the rain has taught me one very valuable lesson....it beats the hell out of doing all those farm duties that I've "put off until a rainy day"! Plus, it helps keep me sane.:22yikes:

·
Registered
283 Posts
One more:

You won't have bugs all over your windshield.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Riding in the rain is very enjoyable when you're dry and warm. Not so much otherwise.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I do ride to work in the rain as long as it's not too cold. I will ride through the rain while touring but I have not planned a trip knowing that it will rain yet, but there will be the day that it will happen. I so far have complete confidence in my grip, especially my rear end. The front Stone has held the wet surface really well. Glad that you enjoyed your ride!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Rain will remove those hard to reach bug carcasses and spooge.

Rain will positively tell you where the seam leaks are in your rain gear.

Rain will force you to slow down thereby getting wetter.

Rain will give you a chance to see how well that ABS thingie works.

If you're lucky rain will give you either a fantastic rainbow or maybe two!

Rain will remove the grunge from the air, making the sky clearer.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
one of the great things about motorcycling is every ride is different :thumbup:

if i had a choice i would choose a nice sunny 75 degree day but its not very often that rain will make me leave the bike home, i love the challenge of riding in the rain

rain, cold, wind, heat are just different ways to test riding gear and skills, i enjoy all the challenges :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Riding in the rains not that bad to me either. Heading out in the rain for fun, I don't do. But if I have to be somewhere, I'll gear up and Ride. Once out there, its Fine. Rain will make the Radar detector stop working :shock: Not water proof.
Yes a good hard rain will get most of the Bugs off the front of the bike.
And with the right tires, Traction is Not a problem. Following Tawni and his Friend in Colorado I found that they actually grab better than I thought.

L

·
0 Posts
I grew up on the Oregon coast and riding in the rain was kind of unavoidable. I remember the first time I HAD to ride in the rain. I got a speeding ticket that I was trying to hide from my parents. I skipped school to go to court in the next town over (only about 30 miles). When I opened the garage door that morning, it was a downpour. So I fished out the old yellow rubber rain suit (not the motorcycle kind either), and I headed out into the storm on my 79 CB400. I swear I had the cheapest helmet you've ever seen... fogged so bad I nearly had to ride with the faceshield all the way up. No windshield either.

Needless to say I was soaked to the bone when I got there. Luckily I only had to pay the court clerk and I was good to go. I even made it to my afternoon classes that day.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Rain gives you the opportunity to look for problems as you clean the bike after the ride. I ride in rain frequently and do find it enjoyable as long as I am warm and dry. The problem seems to be getting my bucket up out of the bucket of water in the seat. I have found nothing that stops my seat from getting wet if the rain is heavy at all, so I prefer warm weather rain riding.

·
Registered
747 Posts
If I'm on a trip and rain is in the way, I ride through it and deal with it the best I can. I'm not a fan of the rain-too many potential problems. On a day ride with the club and its raining; I stay home. We all are a little different and I applaud you folks that find enjoyment in riding in the rain and it probably shows that you are the more complete rider.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No benefit unless you want to test your health insurance.

I guess some see the negative in everything.

Sir, from your posts, I have gathered that are a serious rider doing lots of miles on the Wing and on Dual-sports as well as off-road. I guess that's why your post surprises and confuses me. Do I have you confused with someone else on this forum?

Or do you just have a gripe with me, for some reason I am unaware of?

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
You mean it rains while riding?

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
rain is a GREAT respite from the heat while riding in Florida in the summer
... nice ...
usually don't even stop to put rain gear on if it's less than 30
or 40 minutes.

The Gl1800 is the most "car-like' (forgiving) motorcycle I've ever ridden in the rain
... and I've got a LOT of rain miles ...

Dennis

·
Registered
633 Posts
:cool: Had about 300 miles of super riding weather out of Orlando, FL yesterday. Around Albany, GA we had a few drops of wetness hit us and then around Parrot, GA we had :eek:4: BIG drops along with many little drops for the next 100 miles home. Temp dropped to about 65 degree, but we was warm and dry on the inside, but pretty dang wet on the outside. Now this morning it's detail time for the Wing and Bushtec while it's still raining outside.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I do and have said, " hey it's raining, let's go riding." Some of us don't get to ride a lot in the Winter so any warmer day, raining or not, the truck stays home and the bike and me go out.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
And, sadly, the more I clean the bike the more it rains. So, to keep it from raining so much on other guys, I don't clean my bike that much. Just for the other guys, honest!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts