GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all background, '02 non-ABS, 47k miles, just went to darkside Kumho 195/55. Rode up through Iowa this past weekend, ended up on the worst road I have ever rode with severe buckles at seams, some actually launched ya out of the saddle ! (Hwy 92 from I-35 East to Washington) Second day of trip noticed a heavy "ticking sound" from final area, put on center stand, started engine put in first gear and could hear kind of a grinding sound now. Rode back to K.C. still making noises. Drained final drive and found no signs of metal particles in fluid or on drain plug magnet. My other findings have me concerned, when on centerstand, in gear, rear tire moved by hand from each end of gear lash I can move it an additional 3/4 to 1 inch further with additional pressure in each direction. Would this be the gear lash in the transmission gears moving to their "end of lash" position? Still do not know what is happening in there...any ideas ?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
have u noticed any new vibration in the mirror ? maybe its the driveshaft going bad

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
final drive

BE aware that if you need a drive shaft for your 02, they are different ( shorter ) drive shaft length for 01 - 05. You should be able to find one from a trike take-off. I bought one just in case with the final drive, caliper and rotor for 148. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Possable final drive issue-help needed

Thanks for your inputs. Looks like I'm going in a bit deeper. I did read about the driveshaft lengths being year specfic from the searches on the forum (thanks to all there too). Also thanks to all the trikes out there for providing take-offs for us "other" guys!:lol:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,543 Posts
Put it into reverse and check the play at the rear wheel. Reverse holds the outputshaft and you won't be feeling the lash of the transmission.

·
Vendor
18,416 Posts
Is there any noise on center stand in nuetral and turning the rear tire by hand 360 deg?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
This may sound silly, but have you checked the lugnuts?

A while back there was an epidemic of lugnut and stud failures.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Yer not gonna get a good test of noise when on center stand and in first. Makes one heck of a racket because there's no tension on the system and your drive shaft is fully "dropped" into the lowest position.

I might add that if your road was that bad, you might have some splooge stuck in your rear caliper that's making the tickin sound each revolution. Check your caliper and pads for stuck tar chunks.

Here's my "good" final drive tested as you did.... and it sounds nasty. I've put about 40K on it since this recording was made.

>click<

1 - 11 of 11 Posts