GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
21,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 wing with 570,000 miles.
Road it about 30 miles and it was running perfect, stopped for sandwich at gas station, when I started the bike to leave it started missing and rattling so I shut it off, thought about it for minute then restarted it, missing even worse until it quit running and wouldn’t restart.
It was to noisy at the gas station to tell for sure if the fuel pump ran when the key was turned on but pretty sure I could hear a relay under the seat clicking.
Called one of my brothers to tow it home, unloaded it in nice quiet garage, sure enough turn on the key but fuel pump doesn’t run. Decided to wait until the next morning, next morning I took the seat off and turned on the key, fuel pump ran just like normal and no clicking relay, pressed the start button and it ran perfect ! Put 5 miles on it running perfect but I was afraid to take it anywhere so it was just sitting in the garage for a few weeks.
Sunday I took it for a ride running perfect, stopped a few different places and it was running-starting perfect, but when I pulled up to a stop sign by funeral home it started missing and shut off, it would restart but missing bad, eventually it would not restart, tried switching relays but that didn’t help. Called brother to tow it home again.
Using a test light there seems to be power at both plugs for the fuel pump but the pump doesn’t run so this morning I ordered a used fuel pump from a 2003 wing with 70,000 miles, supposed to come with 30 day warranty.
How difficult is it to remove a GL1800 fuel pump ? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated !
Many years ago I did remove and reinstall a fuel pump in a Chevrolet pickup that seemed very similar and that turned out well.

·
Vendor
19,236 Posts
Have you pulled the DTC codes ??? Often stored codes can lead to resolution.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am new to Goldwing's so I cannot offer any help. But the miles are very impressive. Wish I had that kind of time on my hands. And it dyeing next to a funeral home maybe the bike it telling you it is tired. In all seriousness I hope you figure it out soon.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Check fuel pump relay, you can swap it with the cruise control relay

·
Registered
21,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check fuel pump relay, you can swap it with the cruise control relay
Thanks for the relay tip ! but I tried that when it quit running Sunday and nothing changed.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Pulling the pump should go pretty easy. I have not had to pull one from an 1800 yet but the 1500 and ST1100 were easy to access and they are very similar. Just make sure you do not have more than half a tank of gas.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Road it about 30 miles and it was running perfect, stopped for sandwich at gas station, when I started the bike to leave it started missing and rattling so I shut it off, thought about it for minute then restarted it, missing even worse until it quit running and wouldn’t restart.
It was to noisy at the gas station to tell for sure if the fuel pump ran when the key was turned on but pretty sure I could hear a relay under the seat clicking.
Called one of my brothers to tow it home, unloaded it in nice quiet garage, sure enough turn on the key but fuel pump doesn’t run. Decided to wait until the next morning, next morning I took the seat off and turned on the key, fuel pump ran just like normal and no clicking relay, pressed the start button and it ran perfect ! Put 5 miles on it running perfect but I was afraid to take it anywhere so it was just sitting in the garage for a few weeks.
Sunday I took it for a ride running perfect, stopped a few different places and it was running-starting perfect, but when I pulled up to a stop sign by funeral home it started missing and shut off, it would restart but missing bad, eventually it would not restart, tried switching relays but that didn’t help. Called brother to tow it home again.
Using a test light there seems to be power at both plugs for the fuel pump but the pump doesn’t run so this morning I ordered a used fuel pump from a 2003 wing with 70,000 miles, supposed to come with 30 day warranty.
How difficult is it to remove a GL1800 fuel pump ? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated !
Many years ago I did remove and reinstall a fuel pump in a Chevrolet pickup that seemed very similar and that turned out well.
I’m going to suspect that it is the original pump, since you don’t seem to have replacement knowledge to draw on. Good call replacing it, but I would splurge on the aftermarket one Techdude speaks of. Maybe the bike has earned a brand new one. If I could find my notes, I’d post it. TechDuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did one in the bike, but would just pull the tank next time. It was harder not pulling the tank.

·
Registered
21,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m going to suspect that it is the original pump, since you don’t seem to have replacement knowledge to draw on. Good call replacing it, but I would splurge on the aftermarket one Techdude speaks of. Maybe the bike has earned a brand new one. If I could find my notes, I’d post it. TechDuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did one in the bike, but would just pull the tank next time. It was harder not pulling the tank.
yes my wing still has the original fuel pump and hard to believe but it has never been run out of gas otherwise I would have done just like everyone’s friend Donnie on the road and traded it in for a brandnew Goldwing !
I’ve had the fuel tank out a bunch of times so that’s no problem but I’m wondering why you think removing the pump might be easier with the tank out ?

·
Registered
21,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
View attachment 386951

So, I hope I’m not violating a rule here, it’s a screenshot!!
Thanks and here is link to the entire thread

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
yes my wing still has the original fuel pump and hard to believe but it has never been run out of gas otherwise I would have done just like everyone’s friend Donnie on the road and traded it in for a brandnew Goldwing !
I’ve had the fuel tank out a bunch of times so that’s no problem but I’m wondering why you think removing the pump might be easier with the tank out ?

Sorry, I was thinking of another bike. Maybe the Yamaha I just worked on. But I did, remove and clean a gl1800 tank after sitting for 3 years, last year.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
The pump comes out fairly simply, by removing the two 8mm headed bolts that hold the outlet tube and then a firm pull. (If the o-ring needs replaced, a set of Jeep injectors happens to use the same ring). there are two wires, a return line and then the lock ring needs to be nudged counterclockwise with a blunt punch. Once that is removed, the fun starts. The key is to bring the pump up and the lower half has to be “folded” at it’s hinge to be in line with the top half and able to come out of the small hole. I’m assuming you’ll have the whole assembly, so youll be able to get the visual of what it will take to get the unit in a configuration to come through that small hole... you might want to clean the tank while you have it open. I siphoned the majority of the fuel and then used a hand held mighty vac to finish up, then paper towels to scrub and capture the crud out of the bottom.... reverse to install.

·
Registered
21,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a pretty helpful video about removing GL1800 fuel pump

·
Registered
21,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And here is another very helpful page with all kinds of information about the GL1800

·
Registered
30 Posts
The first thing I would look at is the ECM unit.
We had a similar problem 2001 model , and it was checked out at the dealership . All tests they did pointed to the ECM unit . The F1 light did come on , unable to read code because bike had been triked , no kick stand.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

570K !!! Holy crap !!!!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,824 Posts
Sorry, didn’t see this until today. The Airtex pump is a good way to go to save some $$.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts