GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 with 65000 miles. I started a trip and the first 400 miles I had two occasions where the fuel pump ran for around 5 seconds. I checked it several times in the campground and it acted normal (1 to 2 clicks). Iam a little east of Dubuque Iowa and don't want to go farther until I figure that there is really no problem so I can get help in Dubuque Any info would be appreciated.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,549 Posts
How is your battery and it's connections? The ECM runs the fuel pump for approx. 1 second at key turn on. If it runs longer than that, it could be a voltage issue messing with the ECM or it could be the relay is trying to hangup. How's the bike running other than that? If the relay hangs up, it won't hurt anything as long as it doesn't run with the key turned off. Once the engine is running, the ECM runs the fuel pump continuously anyway. It has no way of knowing what the fuel pressure is, so it runs the pump all the time and the regulator takes care of the pressure. You could swap out the relay with another one and see if it acts up again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts