GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter who moved to Portland 1 year ago has just purchased a house and has a great job with the State so the odds of her staying there are very good. I am thinking of moving in the area but I definitely don't want to be in the Portland rat-race and all that traffic. Looking for suggestions of some outlying areas about 25-35 miles away from downtown Portland that are less congested. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I can't imagine any part of the Willamette Valley that I wouldn't consider "congested". Rush hour from 6:00 AM to 10:00+, that'a the morning rush in the Portland area. The afternoon rush starts about 1:00 PM till after 7:00 PM. It's just what you are used to I guess. My son lived in Keizer, just on the east edge of Salem. Salem is getting to the point of bad traffic problems morning and evenings. We live 345 miles from his house and would like to move closer too but just can't bring myself to give up our quiet small town life for anything in the Willamette Valley. There are areas east and west of I-5 that are more rural that you may like if you don't mind the commute to see your daughter or she may like to commute out to see you, :nojoke:. My daughter-in-law asked me if we were thinking of moving down nearer. Had to tell we don't have any plans right yet. Property values are too high for us to consider being able to purchase anything there anyway and we have our house and shop paid for where we are now!

Good luck on finding something, nothing like being close to your kids:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
A few times,I've driven, or ridden the 75 or 80 miles from Portland to the coast.
If I were looking to relocate in that area, I would look at the coast, or someplace between Portland and the coast.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Keep in mind that Washington has no State Income Tax and Oregon has no State Sales Tax. The ideal situation would be to live in Washington and shop in Oregon. I have friends that live in the Columbia River Gorge on the Washington side and that's exactly what they do. Nice setup.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few times,I've driven, or ridden the 75 or 80 miles from Portland to the coast.
If I were looking to relocate in that area, I would look at the coast, or someplace between Portland and the coast.
Yes you are right about heading towards the coast. I've been in McMinnville twice on bike trips and it's a really nice area about 40+ miles from Portland. Doing some searches around that area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts