GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few forums about the timing chain noise. I have a few long distant rides coming and starting to get a little concerned about this noise. I have an 08 with 171,000 miles on it. After engine heats up and idles down i get this noise in the front part of the engine. I have heard it could be also the shaft that comes out of the alternator. I will be riding over to Len's Saturday if its not raining and let him listen to it one more time. Just dont want to be stranded again along way from home. What is the cheapest way to proceed first to try and eliminate items one at a time.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have an 08 with 171,000 miles on it. After engine heats up and idles down i get this noise in the front part of the engine. I have heard it could be also the shaft that comes out of the alternator. I will be riding over to Len's Saturday if its not raining and let him listen to it one more time. Just dont want to be stranded again along way from home. What is the cheapest way to proceed first to try and eliminate items one at a time.
Wow. 171,000 miles? IDK what it costs to fix this but in the long run maybe the cheapest way would be to buy a new-to-you GL? I see dozens of them in the 2002-2008 range from $4,000-$10,000, some with pretty low miles. Nothing last forever (but the earth and sky...)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Help with noise

Here ya go Marvin , this might help . The picture might help also.
1. Bearings---SCREECH
2. Belts---CHIRP
3. Brake Rotors---BUZZ
4. Rear Chains---RATTLE
5. Cam Chains---CLICKIT
6. Clutches---CHATTER
7. Cylinders---PING
8. Fairing Panels---WHISTLE
9. Fronk Forks---Plunk
10. Gears---WHINE
11. Head Gasket---HISS
12. Hydraulic Lifters---TAP