GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 GL1800 level 3 and am having a problem with my turn signal switch.
It is no longer returning to center when you push it to either side to activate the signal. Also, there is no spring to return the button to the out position when you press it to cancel the signal.
If I wiggle the switch lever, it just moves around easily - really feels like a broken spring (or two?).

The switch is still working - for now - in that I can activate the signal and cancel, but I'm guessing it may get worse as time goes on.
Is it possible to take this switch apart and replace the springs, or do I need to replace the entire cluster?
Is there a source for the individual parts? Any description on how to take it apart and repair it?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Vendor
21,306 Posts
Yes it can be probably repaired but it will take some patience. And no, there are no individual parts available for it from Honda. It's hard to say what is wrong with it without taking it apart and looking at it. It could just be a loose screw.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fred. Any advice on taking it apart, or just use my best judgement?
Any diagrams on what it looks like on the inside so I can know what to expect?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. The problem is now there is clearly no "spring" in the switch pulling it back to the "home" position.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I had same problem with mine years ago and took it apart and saw nothing I could fix and it was stiff and felt like it was dragging or corroded so I just lubed it well and it has been working for years and 80,000 mi and never failed. Fixed another the same situation. Just saying!!!
Honda switches must have been purchased from LUCAS Electronics (Prince Of Darkness)

·
Registered
823 Posts
I repaired a turn signal switch that had symptoms similar to that of the OP by using a spring from a ball point pen. When I took the switch apart, I found the spring in 3 pieces that returns the switch when pressed in to cancel. The ballpoint spring was much too long, but it was easy to snip off the excess. It also had a slightly larger diameter than the original, which I got around by using a drill to enlarge the hole in the plastic where the spring rests. Unfortunately, I apparently did not take any pictures.

This operation requires patience and a clean work area. There is a little ball in there about the size of a BB that will try to get away if you let it. :)

Ron

Edit: Here is link that describes such a repair:

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
What Ron said I repaired mine also years ago with a heavier spring cut to length be careful with that small steel ball there is a detailed tread here on the procedure but good luck finding it (y)

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I have part numbers for the spring and both little balls. I have replaced several springs and at least one of each size ball. My replacements were bought at OHS (now extinct), but Lowes and Home Depot may carry them.

Spring: 1NBY2 WWG-36001G 2X6 (will need to be shortened just a little, but don't cut too short)
big ball: Servalite 532BBU 5/32"
little ball: Servalite 18BBU 1/8"

·
Registered
167 Posts
Warranty should cover it. I’m getting both handle bar switch assemblies replaced this week for free. 2013

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your help. I remember seeing messages on replacing the spring in the pushbutton switches, but not the turn signal switch. The above advice is very much appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 GL1800 level 3 and am having a problem with my turn signal switch.
It is no longer returning to center when you push it to either side to activate the signal. Also, there is no spring to return the button to the out position when you press it to cancel the signal.
If I wiggle the switch lever, it just moves around easily - really feels like a broken spring (or two?).

The switch is still working - for now - in that I can activate the signal and cancel, but I'm guessing it may get worse as time goes on.
Is it possible to take this switch apart and replace the springs, or do I need to replace the entire cluster?
Is there a source for the individual parts? Any description on how to take it apart and repair it?

Thanks for any advice.
My 2008 gl1800 did the same thing,try some electrical contact cleaner,or you can take it apart could be the small amount of grease that is in the switch is dried up.they do come part but be very careful as there is a very small ball bearing in the inside where the the push button resets.make sure you put something under the area to catch it if it pops out.and can can clean the little brass contacts inside.cheers take your time doing this.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went through the provided procedure for taking the turn signal switch apart and found that the spring was indeed broken. I cleaned it all out, replaced the spring with one from a click pen and put it back together. It was touch and go for a while, as I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get it to go back together. I put fresh silicone grease on all the moving parts and it is once again working pretty well. Doesn't feel as good as when it was new (I think), but it's working well enough that I'm satisfied.

Thanks again for all the advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts