GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of a trip from NC that will go N on 95 and then W on 64 in Richmond. How are the roads there? Or should I detour to go around?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thinking of a trip from NC that will go N on 95 and then W on 64 in Richmond. How are the roads there? Or should I detour to go around?
That route is fine if you like the interstates and are in a bit of a hurry. A more scenic route would be 258 to 58 to 35 and then hop on I-95 to 64.

Whichever route you take, have a nice trip.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was just wondering if it was as bad as Atlanta or similar places.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks. I was just wondering if it was as bad as Atlanta or similar places.
If you're downtown heading north on I-95 around evening rush hour, it can be rather slow and congested (but nothing like Atlanta during rush hour). If you are headed west of Richmond, you can take 288 and avoid the downtown traffic.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
There is nothing wrong with I-95 or I-64. However without knowing where you want to go after you get through richmond it is really difficult to recommend a route.

There is a lot to see from the Interstate such as Main Street Station, VCU hospitals, a metal recycler, the old Robins buildings where they used to make robitussin and Chapstick.

And of course there is the Diamond, our local professional baseball field which we are working to replace!

Yes, there are wonderful routes around Richmond and unless you want to sightsee specifically in Richmond, there are great and more scenic ways to go around the area. And possibly shorter and quicker. It really is dependant where you are going.

As noted above, there is construction on I-95 and during rush hours traffic does get backed up. I travel the roads a lot and came that way just this past Sunday to quickly get to Staunton to take rt 250 into WV. No traffic and no problems. The road could use a repave but that won't happen till the construction is finished.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts