GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, after 22 long days, I finally got my IB '03 back from the dealer. My wife and I then went for a long ride (140 miles or so round trip) to shake off the cobwebs. We went to the Valley of Fire, north of Vegas (where my avatar pic was taken). The ECM change out didn't seem to have to have any negative effects, except perhaps a slight loss of torque at the low end. But I have a theory on that... more later on that.

During the trip, I noticed the coolant smell many have complained of. I was a bit alarmed by the coolant puddling under the bike when we stopped at the White Domes. But a return trip to the dealer verified that it was just a bubble of air that forced some coolant out of the overflow tank, and there has been no sign of leakage since.

On the slight loss of torque issue, about six months ago, I over-revved the bike, and reached the cut-off point many have mentioned. It may have been all in my head, but after that, there seemed to be a loss of torque at lower rpm, which gradually went away after a month or two. Now, maybe it's wishful thinking, but perhaps the low end torque will return to something more normal after I put a few more miles on the new ECM. Time will tell...

While at the dealer, I caught my wife in the act of looking for some cold weather gear for me for Christmas! I also got a chance to see the new Rune up close and personal. Sweet looking ride, but not so sweet that I'd give up my Wing for one!

Anyway, it's really good to have my 1800 back where it belongs. :D I only hope the recall does the trick for all of us who are affected by it. So far, so good!

John in Vegas

·
Registered
170 Posts
You sound like a sailor using the phrase, "Shake down cruise". Were you?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Capt America said:
You sound like a sailor using the phrase, "Shake down cruise". Were you?
Yep, or should I say, "Aye, aye, sir!" I was in from '73 to '79. After tech school, they sent me to Pearl Harbor for a couple of years, then I served aboard the Prairie (AD-15) homeported in San Diego. She was just going into drydock when I reported for duty, but she did manage to actually make a WesPac cruise before I got out. Tough duty, but someone's gotta do it!

How about you?

John in Vegas

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, I'll be seaweed sucking son of a gun, I was on the Prairie (AD-15) also, in the machine shop (think it was A31 Div.) I got out in "76" and 67-69 I was stationed at Sub Base Pearl Harbor. Small world isn't it. I did 12 1/2 yrs. active and a couple years Reserve.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No way! Well, I came aboard the Prairie in June of '76, and while I was in the machine shop once or twice, don't know if we ever met or not.

I was in S-7 division, and worked on the computer that printed the paychecks and kept track of the supply and maintenance records.

The second year I was there, the galley won an award, designating it the 'Best Large Mess Afloat'. No one I spoke to was surprised! :?

Yes, it's a small world indeed!

John in Vegas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts