GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm recovering from a recent right hip replacement. All is going according to plan as to rehab. But I'm thinking about the day I'm strong enough to ride my 2017 Gold Wing but cautious enough to be leery of sticking my newly reconstructed right leg/hip up and over to mount from the left side, as I have for lo these many years. How many of you mount your Wing from the right? Are the stock riding pegs up to the task? I found a pretty good YouTube video demonstrating same on a Harley. Any ideas or thoughts welcome.

While I'm at it, I wonder if I'll ever have the courage to put the Wing up on centerstand again given the right leg downward force needed to do so. How many of you with artificial right hips use your GL1800 centerstand?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
This thread from last year might be helpful:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Depends if your new hip was done with an anterior approach or posterior approach because the precautions for potential dislocation differ. If Posterior approach was done, precautions are bending past 90 degrees forward flexion at hip, so you would want to mount from the right side, if anterior approach was done you have no problem mounting from left side because you're allowed to flex 90 degrees at the hip.

·
Canuck
2,810 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ok, as someone that has had both hips replaced I might be able to put you at ease a little. First off I am short at 5-7 29in inseam so every bike I have ever had I stepped on the left peg with left foot. I am then able to swing the right leg over. I have never tried going over the right side but have seen a lot of people do it I am just to short to try. Now I don't know how long ago you had surgery or how far you are in recovery. After 6 weeks after my second replacement I was able to ride with no problem. Putting the bike on center stand was no problem either. I have no fear of holding the bike up at all but if it starts to go I will jump off and let it fall. Really if you are used to getting on from the left and using the peg as a step you will not have to lift your leg as high as stepping over the seat. I had both hips replaced at age 62 one in the fall in Sept. the other the day before Thanksgiving. I was riding as soon as the snow was gone here. I am 67 now and do 800 mile days no problem and have another cross country trip planned for this year. I hope this helps and if you want feel free to pm me for more info.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had my left hip replaced in 2014 and was back on my bike (2008 Wing then) with no problem in 60 days. I'm 6' tall. I had mini posterior procedure each time. I'll just have to wait and see. Thx.

Reactions: slolane

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don't sweat it. I had both hips replaced in 2010 one week apart. Before the hip replacement, I didn't even own a bike because I couldn't get my leg high enough to get on one. The mobility I gained from the replacement hips is what made me decide to buy my Goldwing. I'm 6'0 and I can swing my right leg over easily. I do have to use the peg mount method if my passenger mounts first. Wife can't seem to mount with me already on the bike, so I use the peg mount method any time she rides along. I do have Kury mini boards, but I would think the stock pegs would be even stronger. Enjoy your new hip!

·
Registered
229 Posts
If getting the bike on the center stand is difficult you could look into one of these.

Reactions: philipintexas

·
Registered
917 Posts
Just to add a little something extra. I am 5'9" and about 180. For some reason I have always used my left leg to put bike on center stand. So far no real problem. Didn't even know I was doing it "wrong" for years.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Either I am lucky or the surgeon just did a great job. I had a right hip replaced using the anterior approach. It was done December 7th back in 2009. I was back on the bike January 1st of 2010 for the annual New Year's Day ride.
I used the side stand for a few weeks but before very long I was using the center stand. I was riding my '98 GL1500 at the time. I always mounted from the left. I would face to the left, right hand on the left grip, lift my right foot and put it across the seat and slide into position. I still use that method. I started doing it that way when the hip started to bother me several months prior to surgery.

I firmly believe the key to the successful recovery was due to Physical Therapy. At the therapists three times a week for the first two weeks plus the wife was make me work it out every day, twice a day as well. It definitely made a difference. To this day I don't even think about the artificial hip except when I have to go through a metal detector.

·
Registered
33 Posts
if you want to ride guilt free, don't tell your Orthopaedic Surgeon. After many years of practice, I decided to ride. before that, I told every biker that he was not right, due to the injuries I had seen. After that all I could talk about was my bike! The Police are taught to get on the right side due to traffic, so it is and can be done. I would do that until you are very sure of your hip.

an interesting aside.......a study was done regarding results and physician's instructions. The group that had very strict orders from their physician did not do as well as the group with loose instructions from the physician. I would be in the later group and my patients generally did very well. I guess the point is...do what you are comfortable with.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,617 Posts
Well I just went through having both hips and both knees replaced. I just got back from a ride. I mount from the left side with no problems. Today I put the bike on the center stand to air up the tires. That all went well, but that is because I used a good set of knee pads to crawl on the floor in the garage checking and airing the tires. My legs feel so much better than they have in more than 10 years.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had right hip replaced 17 years ago and I mount from left side. No issues at all. And no issues using center stand. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I also recommend the Ride Off center stand. The first time I used one and standing on the Left side of the bike... I nearly launched the Wing out the garage door. It went up sooo easily.
The only draw back is when on the Ride Off stand, you cannot turn the rear tire to check for nails.
Otherwise it's an easy to install - remove great product.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OP here. I'm riding again. Mounting from left or right. Not 100% but almost. No centerstand action yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts