GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to powder coat my wheels .but i can't decide on what color to go with . high gloss black,gold or magenta . the bike is magenta with gold pin stripe. the cost is 45 dollars black or 60 dollars for a diff. color .:confused:

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
i am going to powder coat my wheels .but i can't decide on what color to go with . high gloss black,gold or magenta . the bike is magenta with gold pin stripe. the cost is 45 dollars black or 60 dollars for a diff. color .:confused:
Gold would probably look great, but brake dust would necessitate having to clean the wheels often. I just did mine black (white bike) and the black looks good when the tires are Armor All'd (is that correct?). When the tires are dirty, those black wheels look weird next to them.

Hard decision, but I would probably choose Gold or Magenta.

How about either magenta with a gold pin stripe around the edge or gold with a magenta stripe.

Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
The thing that always scared me about powder-coating the rims is the nimcompoops at the stealers that mount the tires. Would they get scratched like my oem's are? There are now small scratches, but scratches non the less.

Would someone that has had their wheel powder-coated reply about their experiences with this concern? I would sleep better tomorrow night! :lol::lol:

Mike

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Powder coat

Mine are at the powder coater now getting done. Mine will have the inserts color match Illusion red and the rest of the wheel silver as they are now. Cant wait to see what they will actually look like. Soon as I get them I will post pictures.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I had mine done what they called chrome,it is like the wheels when they were new. I think true"chrome" is now available. There is a shop in Bradley Beach that does Long Branch Harley's work and their prices seemed reasonable. Mine were done in Belford and were almost twice as much. I will be trying the B. Beach shop on my new wheels.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I remember sometime back someone mentioned the color "brakedust". It's a thought.:wrong:

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Black looks especially good with white. Any color is better than the pitting tarnishing stock rim.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The thing that always scared me about powder-coating the rims is the nimcompoops at the stealers that mount the tires. Would they get scratched like my oem's are? There are now small scratches, but scratches non the less.

Would someone that has had their wheel powder-coated reply about their experiences with this concern? I would sleep better tomorrow night! :lol::lol:

Mike
i had the rim's done on a valk [black] the shop puts grease on the tire to keep it from scratching the wheel [a good shop]:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts