GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any pics of Goldwings with powder coated valve covers? I've googled for a while, found plenty, but not on Goldwings.

I've got some crud growing on mine around the bolt holes, due to riding year 'round, road salt, laziness, etc. I'll probably get them cleaned up and coated this winter and then try to be less lazy about cleaning up after riding in slop. In a rare nod to style and flair, I'm thinking about doing something other than just polish and clear coat.

The bike is 2010 grey. No chrome accessories or any decorative bling, just functional farkles. I do have a black fork brace that I'm thinking of taking off, not cosmetically influenced..

The reason I'm asking now is that I'm about to mount Rivco highway pegs and I'll be committing to their color. Thinking black for those. Other options are polished aluminum (OK) or +$100 for chrome (unlikely given me being cheap and not pro-chrome).

If I get drunk enough when I go to the metal shop this winter, I am leaning toward a burnt orange flake (the black pegs would work well) but haven't ruled out a British racing green or something a little lighter (less sure about black there).

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Note to self..... Go to the powder coater sober.....?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Was it difficult to remove both the valve covers and header covers?
Valve covers are a cinch... the header covers can be tricky, but a bit of patience will have them off in no time.

Reward over Labor Time is quite high though... :thumbup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank you!! Is it safe to just cover everything up while I bring them to the powder coater? Would I lose any oil by removing?

And lastly, can you refer me to any guides on the removal? I really really want to get mine done. As always, I appreciate your time.

Was it difficult to remove both the valve covers and header covers?
Valve covers are a cinch... the header covers can be tricky, but a bit of patience will have them off in no time.

Reward over Labor Time is quite high though...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Nah... you won't lose oil.

The bottom covers the spark plugs, the top covers the valves... I just placed a clean rag over the valves until I was able to re-install them after Powder-Coat.

Check out this video on how to remove them... it's a video someone made for spark plug removal, but it shows you how easy it is to get them off.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Powder Coated mine to closely match the original colors at 94,633 miles. Now with 145,125 miles, still look MAVEALOUS! Never any oil leaks.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Uh oh. All I see is a marvelous gray circle with a minus sign in it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
WOW! Fantastic, thanks so much!

How many more bolts is the top for the valve covers? Any hidden ones? I am sending in my seat soon to RDL, so while I have some downtime, I figured I would go get this done.

But you're right, that definitely doesn't seem too bad at all.

Nah... you won't lose oil.

The bottom covers the spark plugs, the top covers the valves... I just placed a clean rag over the valves until I was able to re-install them after Powder-Coat.

Check out this video on how to remove them... it's a video someone made for spark plug removal, but it shows you how easy it is to get them off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLkgBPmJKYU

1 - 13 of 13 Posts