GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had there rims powder coated, if so where did you get it done, and has anyone looked at Harbor Freights powder coat gear?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Had mine powder coated by a local. Charged me $40/wheel and looks great, I'm happy!!!

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Best thing I ever did for wheels. Not the wing, but.....

:fullsize:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Had the rear done and really like it...easy to clean.

Let your fingers do the walking...look for local shops and compare prices. They will have a rainbow of colors. Check with local hot rod shops for a referral to a good coater.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Has anyone had there rims powder coated, if so where did you get it done, and has anyone looked at Harbor Freights powder coat gear?
Your rims will not fit in the Harbor Freight powder coat oven. And while your kitchen will get hot enough, the odor and the baked-on powder in your kitchen oven aren't worth the trouble. Plus, mistakes are extremely difficult to fix.

Take them to someone in the powder coating business. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Anyone get color matched powder coating? Would like to see one in red.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Talked to a guy at work who said his brother was experimenting with powder coating and had some type of tinted clear coating that gave a sort of iridescent look to what ever was coated, Was thinking of getting mine coated two tone silver and white with blue iridescent over it all. BTW My bike is a 2008 pearl white wing.

Has anyone ever heard of this being done and if so any pictures of anything that was done this way?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Nice stuff want to get mine done. Will be looking for a vendor in my area.:agree:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
If I had to do my chrome wheels over again.I would go with two toned powder coat.
This was a members wheel he had done.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Check around

I had my wheels done at a local metal product manufacturer. They have a powder coating department and I was surprised at the number of colors they could apply. It cost me half of what the vehicle powder coating business quoted me and the wheels look great!

·
Registered
101 Posts
If I had to do my chrome wheels over again.I would go with two toned powder coat.
This was a members wheel he had done.
Wow! Thanks for posting that. I'm thinking of maybe black AND white.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Powder coating cast aluminum (such as GL1800 wheels) may result in some tiny bubbles in the finish. This is mostly a cosmetic issue caused by out-gassing and can be avoided by preheating the part. If the powder coat shop that you close is not experienced with GL1800 wheels, you might mention this. Despite the bubbles, I still like my powder coated (silver) wheels.

Ron Fuller

·
Registered
654 Posts
wow- the two tone and the all black both look nice. I went with the protectaclear kit route but may go with a powdercoat in the future if the coating I have on it takes a turn for for the worse.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have had both sets of my wheels done, cost was 50 each. They are done in chrome color, match original wheel color real close. Sure are easy to keep clean.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Do you have to clean them up before you bring them in or do they clean them as part of the prep work? I assume the tires have to come off but do the TPMS sensors & valve stems have to come off too?

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Do you have to clean them up before you bring them in or do they clean them as part of the prep work? I assume the tires have to come off but do the TPMS sensors & valve stems have to come off too?
IMO, everything, including the bearings, comes off before you take them in for powder coating. The shop that does the powder coating can clean them for you (for a price) prior to coating, or you can do it yourself.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts