GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first winter where they put salt on the roads. I made the mistake of riding and coming homeand not cleaning the rims,now they are pitted and look terrible. I'm considering powder coating. Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as cost?

·
Registered
748 Posts
You will have to probably remove the tires for the paint shop,

Cost will also increase for the front because you have to remove and replace the bearings and stem.

You should do all this in connection with a tire change, I would think.

If you ever thought about doing the all balls, you will have plenty of time while the wheels are in the shop.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Does anyone do the wheel exchanges for powder coating?

They do them for chrom plating wheels, but I haven't seen it for powder coating.....

I'd like to mail away my wheels (with or without the tires) and have them powder coated and the bearings replaced, and new tires mounted. Anyone provide this type/level of service?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes , His name on this board is " snowmanluke " ... he does the powder coat .... with exchange ...

Scott
08 DARK RED COMFORT / NAV .....

·
Registered
628 Posts
Went to a local shop and had them done at $75.00 apiece plus tax. Have to remove front bearings, brake disks and valve stems along with tires since they cook the wheels in an oven to cure the powder.

LAW

·
Registered
663 Posts
like mentioned above: You remove them, get a local shop to take the tires off and knock the bearings out. You will need new bearings, 2 new valve stems and someone to remount/rebalance them. Make sure the tire shop knows you are getting them powdercoated and ask if they can guarantee they won't scuff the wheels when putting tires back on.

Mine were a bit more expensive as I went with 2 colors, pearl white and black inserts. Mine were around $185 / wheel (double the normal price) and I also had the valve covers done at the same time.

click the link below to see a picture of my wheels.

Brake dust washes right off with a little S100 cleaner and a hose. I clean them about once a month.

·
Registered
357 Posts
just ordered a new front avon venom, bearings and seals from hal. i found a powder coater close to home. now i'm trying to think of a color. been thinking about a titanium with a faint gold tint, or pewter. bill

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
There are durabilty issues with any coating you put on your rims. It it is left as is, you can use any manner of abrasives to get the worst of the pits out, and then waxes will fill in the rest. Yes, you will have to keep after it, more so because you live where they salt the roads. If you chrome, paint, powder coat, or otherwise semi-permanently coat the tire, eventually you will ding them and then you have something that is not easily fixed IMHO. I guess I am not a fanatic about keeping my bike spotless and living in the California desert, I don't have to put up with rain, cold, salt, or other winter related problems many of you have in your area. Spoiled? Yeh, probably...but I am not complaining! :roll:

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
My wheels got trashed by aluminum oxide deicer this winter for the second time, so I took them to my shop for tire, bearing, seal and stem removal, found a guy who is doing two tone plus clear coat for $150 each.

Things are progressing slowly, but he's busy setting up his new shop and working at he old one. I'll post some picks when I get them back.

I'm sure this guy would entertain the idea of doing more!!!

I may even pick up a spare set of wheels and offer exchanges.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts