GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Think I'm finally going to do it this winter with a tire change.

I'm going to hold off on telling you what my local dealer service dept (still one of the good ones ) quoted me till I hear some prices for the coat and advice from you guys.
I'm looking at metallic red (silver Wing), both wheels. I need the wheels off and shipped out and back.

I have the tires from HDL going to the shop. They don't mind just doing the install/beads. That's not an issue.

What should timing and $ be for the powdercoat?
Gracias.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Local guy has quoted me $175 each to powder coat to black. I’m buying 2 newer extra rims from Honda dealer for around $50 each. Will get them powder coated and make the swap at next tire change. Not sure if this is a good price but it’s what’s available here. Did not what the rims off the bike while waiting to get back from powder coating.
Dan

Reactions: saafrican

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I just had both my wheels powder coated pearl white. I also had all four valve cover pieces done the same.
$160 for all. It was $25 a wheel.
They are a large company that does large items and they do good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Mine cost around $180 ($95 each) to be done. I went with a Silver metal flake so the color wasnt changed too much. But when they are clean and sunlight hits them, they sparkle.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I Think I'm finally going to do it this winter with a tire change.

I'm going to hold off on telling you what my local dealer service dept (still one of the good ones ) quoted me till I hear some prices for the coat and advice from you guys.
I'm looking at metallic red (silver Wing), both wheels. I need the wheels off and shipped out and back.

I have the tires from HDL going to the shop. They don't mind just doing the install/beads. That's not an issue.

What should timing and $ be for the powdercoat?
Gracias.
I did mine for 100 bucks for 1 . I when with clear and have a 13 rear cleared take off wheel . Your going to want to get out all Pitts if any with a polish or wet dry paper and final polish. Then acetone clean and bring to the powder coater the powder coater can do this but make sure you tell him to do it because if you leave the pits you most likely you're going to see little pitch where they were in your finished product done correctly you'll never ever have to worry about brake dust cleaning again a little soapy water that's it in a rag it come perfect and that shine will last forever well let's say a hundred years

Ps dont forget about getting 4 new bearing all in the front of course if no one else has mentioned it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Even at $100 each, it is well worth the price on looks and cleaning. Two thumbs up here, if I knew how to do that

·
Registered
335 Posts
For reference:
Powder coating gun, high temp tape, silicone plugs from Eastwood $175
Pancake air compressor...own my own but $75.

Digital thermometer $30.
Buy used electric oven $50.
3 colors of powder coat (1 lb each) $45. (chrome, plue and clear)

Remove wheels from bike, remove tires tire valves and bearings from wheels...done myself but if a shop does it $?
Sand blast wheels $50.
Acetone $10.
So about $500 for a basic set up.

It's not hard to do but prep is the KEY!!!! Good prep results in good results. The other pitfall is color matching. I ordered color chip after color chip to match my Chromium pearl purple bike. I found the right one and found out it was a three color process. The wheels were spot on!
Its really hard to do a crappy job. The project will only take a certain amount of paint until the electrostatic charge is nullified. A bright flashlight can show the weak areas of application and if there is a mistake before cooking, just dust off the powder and move on.

I wanted the set up to do a few projects so it has been worth it to me to get my own gear.

I've saved about a grand with the stuff I turned from junk to treasure. I still have some projects in mind to do yet too.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I did my wheels with a polished lip. The powdercoater sent the wheels out to a chrome shop and they polished the edges. They were then coated with a metallic grey powdwercoat on the spokes and then the entire wheel was coated in clear. $155 for the pair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts