GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again - I'm out shopping for a new job - way too long a story to go into. But talked to some great folks in Powell today.

Anybody on the board know about this area besides having ridden through?

Thanks.....

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Well, the GWRRA Region I Rally was there last August and I spent 3 days there. Great little town. Close to Cody and the big Buffalo Bill Museum. Close to Yellowstone, the Bear Tooth highway and some good riding. That's about the most I can tell you. :lol:

·
Registered
143 Posts
moving

I don't remember where iread it, Wall Street Journal I think, but cities in Wyoming were actively recruiting for people to move out there. Apperently more jobs than people. Good Luck and God Bless

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well Im going to be no help whatsoever probably.

My wife and I were hired over the phone for jobs in Rawlins and we are living in town. Where we live, it is a semi-arid climate...somewhat desert like with some plants and not too hot...etc.

Here in Rawlins, the population is exploding because of a boom in a few economies such as....uh....hmm. Im not totally sure...I forgot. I know they are building gas pipelines like crazy. Im not sure if they are just going through the area or going to the sinclair refinery or what. There are a bunch of people who work for the railroad that stops for boy scout water in town each way. Also I think a lot of people work in the fields on the oil rigs / pumps. Ive heard rumors about a old uranium mine being reopened as well.

I think it is much more scenic on the northern part of the state. Lots of coal mining too.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Gee's Doc you sure do move around. I guess that's one way to see the country. From what I read the whole state is booming, but my friend says that the winters are brutal. They actually have gates to close the roads off during severe winter storms. Your choice I guess........ :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
William - do you get down around Billings much?

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
gutsplitter said:
William - do you get down around Billings much?
Not really. I was there a couple times this year though - once for a funeral :cry: - and the other for the Wing Ding press conference. :D 8)

I'll be there for Wing Ding next year.

H

·
0 Posts
Wyoming looks pretty good to me:

Economic Analysis Division – Wyoming State Government © Copyright 2006 4
Wyoming Tax Facts
Wyoming ranks 2nd and 3rd highest,
respectively, in per capita state and local
government revenue and expenditures.
Yet, household tax burden ranks among the
lowest in nation.
No personal/corporate income tax, low
property taxes.
Bulk of tax burden is exported out of state in
the form of mineral taxes, which residents do
not pay.

A lot more info on Wyoming that I think is interesting if they can just figure out how to control that winter temp thing. Sounds like a great place to live and work.

http://eadiv.state.wy.us/SpecialReports ... m_2006.pdf

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
There are good reasons why so few people live in the northern plains. There are no good jobs in WY, MT, SD or ND so everybody lives in a run down trailer and drives a rickety Dodge pickup. The locals are ******* jerks. If your gay, black, brown or yellow, you'll eventually end up as coyote bait. Newbies make for good target practice. The weather is awful. We have two seasons- road construction and deer. Our mosquitos aren't as big as Alaska's but they carry more diseases. We're proud of that.

Yes, I hate it here and I know you would too.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Oh really, Gizmo? :roll: I take deep offense to that. My Jeep may have a Dodge engine in it but it is NOT rickity! So nerts to you! :p

Seriously, you are pretty much wrong. Don't include me in the "We're " part of your rant. Speak for yourself.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welll...

I live in a 100 x 60 mile valley at 7600 feet now - competes with International Falls for the cold spot in the US quite often - dryer than a popcorn fart - only has potatos and beef to generate income - but is close to a lot of nice places. However, with 2 of the 6 poorest counties in the state (and in the top ten of the nation) and not enough work for 3 surgeons here - may be time to go.

Thanks for the input and fun....just wish I could talk the wife into someplace warmer. But - that means further away from the grand-kids.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Gizmo said:
There are good reasons why so few people live in the northern plains. There are no good jobs in WY, MT, SD or ND so everybody lives in a run down trailer and drives a rickety Dodge pickup. The locals are ******* jerks. If your gay, black, brown or yellow, you'll eventually end up as coyote bait. Newbies make for good target practice. The weather is awful. We have two seasons- road construction and deer. Our mosquitos aren't as big as Alaska's but they carry more diseases. We're proud of that.

Lol...funny man, funny man. If there were no good jobs, I wouldnt have moved from MN out here to southern Wyoming to work as a teacher with my wife who was also hired in the school district. Booming like crazy here. Town has 8k people and umpteen hotels and they sell out every night of the working week. I know because we moved here on a Wednesday and couldnt find a single vacancy and since there were no other hotels in the area, we had to go to the local truck stop and sleep there in our cars. The next day we ended up looking around and bought a brand new double wide. In this town, it is probably one of the few, IF ONLY cities that sees rising values of trailer homes. Homes stay on the market for a few days at most before being snatched up.

Lots of people from various ethnicities work out here and I don't care, as long as they work like everyone else. ND and SD have jobs, its just that people dont want to live in the middle of nowhere. Fargo is seeing growth as well as West Fargo, and they are so desirable, they get to pick the cream of the crop. Ive applied every year since i graduated and I havent heard a thing from either district. Its not that the communities are shrinking...its just that the youth have no incentive OR desire to stay. I graduated with over 200 people in high school and most of them moved away because my town had nothing to offer them.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Don't say you weren't warned..............

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
ziggystyles said:
Gizmo said:

Lol...funny man, funny man. If there were no good jobs, I wouldnt have moved from MN out here to southern Wyoming to work as a teacher with my wife who was also hired in the school district. Booming like crazy here. Town has 8k people and umpteen hotels and they sell out every night of the working week. I know because we moved here on a Wednesday and couldnt find a single vacancy and since there were no other hotels in the area, we had to go to the local truck stop and sleep there in our cars. The next day we ended up looking around and bought a brand new double wide. In this town, it is probably one of the few, IF ONLY cities that sees rising values of trailer homes. Homes stay on the market for a few days at most before being snatched up.

Lots of people from various ethnicities work out here and I don't care, as long as they work like everyone else. ND and SD have jobs, its just that people dont want to live in the middle of nowhere. Fargo is seeing growth as well as West Fargo, and they are so desirable, they get to pick the cream of the crop. Ive applied every year since i graduated and I havent heard a thing from either district. Its not that the communities are shrinking...its just that the youth have no incentive OR desire to stay. I graduated with over 200 people in high school and most of them moved away because my town had nothing to offer them.
OK, I'll confess that I was only kidding in my previous post.

Here's a poem that reflects what I truly think(author unknown):

Sweet clean air from east to west

and room to go and come,

I love my fellow man the best

when he is scattered some.

To those who insist on moving here, please don't ruin what we have!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Bill, aren't you gonna miss La Veta Pass :lol: Tim

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Gizmo said:
To those who insist on moving here, please don't ruin what we have!
Now that I can agree with! 8)

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Wyoming, Lets see, We moved to Rock Springs when I was 12 years old. My first girlfriend lived there. I opened a shoe shine shop at the Bates Hotel. The Barber shop is still there. We moved to Albuquerque two years later.

When I was 15, I ran away from home and went back to Rock Springs. Moved in with the Thomasini's in Rock Springs, I worked at their gas station. Shot and sold rabbits. and had a good life.

At 16 I went back to Albuquerque... at 17 I was gone and joined the Navy

Moved to La Barge, Wyo in 2001, had my new Goldwing with me. worked in the oil fields doing site communications. I still stop in Wyoming when ever I am in the area, Wyoming is my friend !!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
La Veta

Shuck:

You bet - along with Wolf Creek and (further to the west) Slumgullion. There are lots of great places to get to from here - but don't let me get started with how hard it is to keep going.....medicine is a tough nut these days, anyway. Got messed up when the government got into it in 1963. Before then, doctors had to justify their bills (so did hospitals) and until Medicare, nobody just paid the hospitals (and then 2-3 years later the doctors) whatever bill they sent. Lots of doctors and administrators got way rich back then - now we are not getting our brightest and best into medicine because if anyone does a cost/benefit analysis of the investment of close to $300K for education before you start your training - it just doesn't pay.

I've got 15 more years to get my retirement socked away - not counting one bit on SS.

But, I digress........

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
a reply.........

Wyoming is actually just a very small town with reeeeeely looooong streets.
455,000 with no income tax
My son went to the job service two weeks ago and they offered him an interview on the spot. After the interview they offered him 3 different mines to work at starting at $17.00 and hour with raises to follow. He took the one closest to town so he didn't have to ride the bus to work but just drives his p/u out there. The paper here is full of jobs at every thing from minimum wage to lots a bux depending on skill levels and educational background.

If you want work and are tough enough to live in northen Wyoming then look at the Gillette News Record on line and check out jobs.
Denny

it's only 30 below on the skin thats not covered?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts