GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to say Hello to everyone here. Just bought my Wing 2 weeks ago and loving it. Would like to ask, I have installed a GPS after making a mount for the dash and was wondering were I can find 12 volts around the dash area to hook it up. I don't have a service manual and have not taken any dash pieces loose yet to know how. I am curious if there is a 12 volt connector maybe under one of the pockets that could be used?

Thanks and hope to be around this board for awhile. I just bought the 06 Wing and also have an 04 VTX bought new in 04.
Again thanks for your help.

Lee

·
Registered
661 Posts
Ran mine to the battery. Didn't want it work off of ignition.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Mines from the battery also. Didn't want to wait for it to boot up after every stop.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Sean McCarthy said:
Mines from the battery also. Didn't want to wait for it to boot up after every stop.
Ditto.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
hook up

Battery

·
Registered
547 Posts
Mine is wired through the 12v power supply under the front left pocket. I'd rather have it wired through the ignition so I don't have to remember to turn the GPS on and off every time I start the bike.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Mine is wired to accessory.

My GPS has a built in battery. If I want to keep it running while I am stopped I just have to press any button within 30 seconds.

Even so, reboot after something like refueling only takes a few seconds and it goes right back to the route I programmed.

If you don't have a battery built in, then you have to make your decision for how you want it to operate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
richard h said:
Mine is wired to accessory.

My GPS has a built in battery. If I want to keep it running while I am stopped I just have to press any button within 30 seconds.

Even so, reboot after something like refueling only takes a few seconds and it goes right back to the route I programmed.

If you don't have a battery built in, then you have to make your decision for how you want it to operate.
Mine is also like yours and I can choose to keep it going after the power has been removed. I want to thank all the suggestions and will get to it today. Its great to be able to have such information available at the touch of a button, just like it was on the other VTX board.
Thanks again for the quick help.

GWLee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts