GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing some new LED's, Ring of Fire, Radiator Grill, Big Bike Lighted Saddlebag and trunk Trim, LED light stripe under saddlebags. I am going to pick up 12 vdc at the accessory panel on the fuse block (correct?). The question is where is the best place to pick up thr ground? The battery ground (negative terminal) or where? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Ellk,

You asked for the "best Place" to pick up the ground. The answer is the Electrical Connections ground block. You might want to start thinking about hooking your accesories up to the E/C power block as well.

I see so many guys hook everything to the + & = terminals on their bikes and then have shorts, power failure etc.

If you are going to do it, do it clean!

Bulldog

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I hate to admit it, but Bulldog's right... :D

You could make something up yourself (I did), but in the long run you'll probably have a better system if you just buy the E/C system.

It's clean, very functional, and is easily expandable when you want to add new stuff.

I would think that at least some of your stuff you might want to have on switches?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Being an electrician, I just went to home depot and got a ground bus bar. comes in various lengths. I got like a 4 inch model, paid $1.50 for it...works great...mounted it under my seat....used one #8 wire from the battery to the ground bus bar. Nice and clean and cheap!!!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Robert ? How and where did you mount it ? I'll assume under the seat ?
Tie rap to the frame ? Would you by chance have a Picture ?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Mike,

The EC ground block sits on top of the inner fender guard of the rear fender. It is attached with a simple zip screw. It stays put, is out of the way and works good.

Bulldog

·
Registered
759 Posts
Mike...I dont have a picture...however...there are at least 8 million places under the seat you can put the ground bar...and yes...I used ty raps to hold it in place. The ground bar will not rust either. Has a separate screw for each connection...or, you can "gang" wires together...like three or four...and use one screw....no crimp on sta con type rings or fork connectors are used, thus eliminating another potential trouble source.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts