GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to resurrect this one on this right power connector:
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800-tech-board/123673-power-right-front-pocket.html?action=thread

Website rules would not allow.

I'm trying to install some Show Chrome Inferno heat grips powered through this "hard-as-****-to-find" red connector somewhere near the right storage pocket.

The pix that @tulsawalk posted of a Gen II install where helpful but I don't lift the top shelter. That power plug was under the top shelter!

Must have connected to it earlier as I did install an EC-provides Honda marine 2" voltage meter on the right side two years ago:

Pulled the locked pocket and can't find this red connector. Suspect that I connected an EC T-connector to it.

Worse case, run power on the other side direct to my EC Power Plate? But with an amp dram of only 3.75 amps, the OEM Honda stock wiring should be able to absorb.
@JohnACman
@Bartman
@techdude2000
@Jon (fellow Washingtonian)

Guidance?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I think I remember where it may be on the pre-2006's.... Although, to go along with that, I seem to think that the Honda (car) volt meter that tended to be a popular added item for those not getting Honda's heated grips was set up to plug into that plug you are looking for.

I think that plug is in the same boot that the right radiator fan plug resides in. It is not really found below the pocket, but more behind and left of the back corner of the radiator. It would be easier found by removing the panel with the key lock for the pocket instead of the pocket.

Guessing by your Signature block, you have a 2003. This becomes important because that plug only exists on 2001-2005. The others mostly came with heated seat and grips making that plug no longer needed.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I forgot to mention something about something in one of the pictures..... Is that a standard relay with exposed spade connectors one it? If so, it needs those connectors taped up or better; heat shrink tubing put on them before you end up blowing a fuse someplace or worse. Do one at a time if concerned about re-connecting them to the wrong place after being insulated.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention something about something in one of the pictures..... Is that a standard relay with exposed spade connectors one it? If so, it needs those connectors taped up or better; heat shrink tubing put on them before you end up blowing a fuse someplace or worse. Do one at a time if concerned about re-connecting them to the wrong place after being insulated.
:surprise:Yes, I noticed that too. Will be busting out the heat shrink and the micro-torch as well. Good eye!

·
Registered
511 Posts
:surprise:Yes, I noticed that too. Will be busting out the heat shrink and the micro-torch as well. Good eye!
Micro Torch?:surprise: Or, maybe just a small butane lighter far away from the insulation and such.
A heat gun would be better.

And by the way, the voltmeter is most likely plugged into the red power port you need. The 2001 through 2010 (I think) had that red connector under the right panel where your meter is. There is also one under the fairing left glove box.

2012 through 2017 only has one of those plugs that I know of and it is on the left side under the foot warmer control along with the AUX audio input connector.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, I found that red plug. Had to remove right locked storage bin and the key/voltmeter panel. Just to the left of that panel. Had a t-harness powering the voltmeter so I snapped into the open accessory plug. Everything works.

And I heat shrunk and taped the relay up as well! Now to cut off my old grips and install the heated grips. Thanks all.

·
IronMan
17,089 Posts
guys, i found that red plug. Had to remove right locked storage bin and the key/voltmeter panel. Just to the left of that panel. Had a t-harness powering the voltmeter so i snapped into the open accessory plug. Everything works.

And i heat shrunk and taped the relay up as well! Now to cut off my old grips and install the heated grips. Thanks all.
can also use liquid tape ! Give it time to dry overnite . Liquid rubber in a bottle . I've had good luck with it over the years.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
can also use liquid tape ! Give it time to dry overnite . Liquid rubber in a bottle . I've had good luck with it over the years.
John, (thank you) I have to admit that I never actually heard of the liquid tape, that you speak of:: BUT I will look into your suggestion...:grin2: :kiss:

Ronnie

·
Registered
291 Posts
I freely admit that I could be wrong, however I don't know if I like the idea of using that power source for heated grips. To keep this simple electrically heated anything is a dead short and can draw lots of power. Can't find what the power plug under the left pocket is rated at but would think a stronger power source would be better. Again don't claim to be a electrical guru but that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
511 Posts
That particular power source, which is powered from the accessory circuit, is most likely control power for the heated grip relay. The relay will be powered on when the bike is ON. The normally closed contacts of the relay will have a separate power source from the battery to provide power to the heated hand grips.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@UNCLEJOHN - Have had a bottle for years! But it's so darn sticky - it's a mess to use.

I freely admit that I could be wrong, however I don't know if I like the idea of using that power source for heated grips. To keep this simple electrically heated anything is a dead short and can draw lots of power. Can't find what the power plug under the left pocket is rated at but would think a stronger power source would be better. Again don't claim to be a electrical guru but that's my 2 cents.
@The Cat Slaves - I hear you. My analysis:

1. Honda installed that plug to upgrade with their heated grip kit.
  2. Honda engineers should have left a little safety margin in the amps power consumption.
  3. Trust that Big Bike Parts aka Show Chrome knows what they are doing. They designed it to be used by that right pocket accessory power plug.
  4. Trust that Lewis @ Electrical Connection knows what he and his team are doing. His grip kits also plug in there.
  5. On full power, any of these heated grips should only burn about 4 amps and operate on a 100% output in short intervals driven by the controller (spoke to Show Chrome directly).
Too late anyway, Honda handgrip cemented the Inferno grips on my handlebars and buttoned everything up after powering up the grips to make sure they heated up nicely.>:)

I'll keep an eye on my fuses and keep spares . . . just in case.

Has anyone had any problems or blown fuses off of that right pocket accessory power plug?

·
Registered
511 Posts
On an '03, the fuse that protests the red connector below the right pocket that you have hooked your heated grips and voltmeter to is fuse #21. It is a 15 amp fuse. It provides powers through the ACC relay #12. The ACC relay is energized by the Ignition Switch.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On an '03, the fuse that protests the red connector below the right pocket that you have hooked your heated grips and voltmeter to is fuse #21. It is a 15 amp fuse. It provides powers through the ACC relay #12. The ACC relay is energized by the Ignition Switch.
Thanks. Unless there is more on that circuit, I'm only using 33% of its fused capacity>:)

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
Tried to resurrect this one on this right power connector:
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800-tech-board/123673-power-right-front-pocket.html?action=thread

Website rules would not allow.

I'm trying to install some Show Chrome Inferno heat grips powered through this "hard-as-****-to-find" red connector somewhere near the right storage pocket.

The pix that @tulsawalk posted of a Gen II install where helpful but I don't lift the top shelter. That power plug was under the top shelter!

Must have connected to it earlier as I did install an EC-provides Honda marine 2" voltage meter on the right side two years ago:

Pulled the locked pocket and can't find this red connector. Suspect that I connected an EC T-connector to it.

Worse case, run power on the other side direct to my EC Power Plate? But with an amp dram of only 3.75 amps, the OEM Honda stock wiring should be able to absorb.

@JohnACman
@Bartman
@techdude2000
@Jon (fellow Washingtonian)

Guidance?
Depending on the year, there can be 3 different answers. Can you give us a clue as to what year Wing you are working on ???

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
@GoldWingrGreg - question was answered. Year is in my signature line. We're all good.

Current: Installed the heat controller on the right panel under the lock (below).

The Honda cement never set up right even with an indoor propane heater on it for several initial hours. I waited three days and my clutch side grip was still loose. The Honda handgrip cement is not good for cooler weather installs as you really need a steady 75 degree F temp for a couple of days for it to harden.

My solution: Let the cement residue dry then used Show Chrome's handgrip gel glue (looks surprising like Super Glue) on that clutch side grip. Set up firm in minutes! It's their new formula (maybe within the past year). Think the days of people complaining that their glue came to them hard are over>:)

Now to find some winter days to ride with out constant rain around the Seattle area!

Attachments

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
@GoldWingrGreg - question was answered. Year is in my signature line. We're all good.

[/B]
Glad you got an answer.

I did see your year in your signature; however, some of us have learn not to trust that. Several years ago there was a several page thread where a few of us were trying to help a member with an electrical problem. His answers to our suggestions were confusing to us all, not making sense, and finally we figured out that he was asking questions about a different Wing. Actually, he helping a riding buddies who's year was different than his. Especially with electrical issues, I've since learned to always ask.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I recently purchased a used Corbin "heated" seat to put on my 2005 1800. My Goldwing does NOT have a heated seat or grips. So after reading this entire thread, here's my question: could I use the "red connector" to power my heated seat? If so, would I still need to purchase some sort of "controller"?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts