GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the power outlet in the left apartment. Every time I hook up the gps into the outlet the fuse goes out of the garmin power cord. It was the plug and play and confused as to what is happening. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Do you have the + and - mixed up in the power outlet? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Just for kicks and giggles have you tried the Garmin unit in your car to see if it turns on ok? And if it does then check the polarity of the connection on the plug and play. Stranger things have happened than an out of phase from the factory.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Could be the polarity is wrong. Is positive to positive??

How does the plug fit to the socket, snug and seated?? Could be a bad fit and arcing and blowing the fuse.

Pretty sure you cannot have more than normal line voltage..........

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Yours came with an apartment? That must be the new level 5. :joke:

You've got the polarity reversed somewhere in the circuit.

If you're pretty sure that it's wired right, check the mechanical connection inside of the lighter socket.

The wires can sometimes come loose and can touch one another when a plug is inserted.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would like to add a power outlet,

What are you folks using for the outlet ? I have looked a a few and they are big and bulky, not what I want, also, I would like to have it mounted, not just laying in the left or right compartment ?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,796 Posts

What are you folks using for the outlet ? I have looked a a few and they are big and bulky, not what I want, also, I would like to have it mounted, not just laying in the left or right compartment ?

Thanks
The one from Electrical Connection works great as does the OEM power outlet you can get from the Board Sponsor (HDL).

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I installed the power outlet in the left apartment. Every time I hook up the gps into the outlet the fuse goes out of the garmin power cord. It was the plug and play and confused as to what is happening. Any help would be appreciated.

What they said, my Mom and Sister and a bunch of nieces and nephews live in Sulphur, play golf at Frasch Park when down there...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took everything apart again and switched wires and it worked. So simple but I figured plug and play so I left everything as is and plug. Thanks again.

·
Registered
993 Posts

Any of the P-n-P power ports for the Wing will have install instructions. You will remove the left compartment (Yeah--I wanna apartment, too!) and find a cross (+) on the outside forward lower box. This is the center for drilling for the plug to be installed making it fit neatly in the corner. It's P-n-P from there,or not, if your luck follows rduran's...
CAUTION: These power ports are only rated at 5 amps. Will NOT run your Ghetto Blaster or Rocker Launcher.

·
Registered
345 Posts

Any of the P-n-P power ports for the Wing will have install instructions. You will remove the left compartment (Yeah--I wanna apartment, too!) and find a cross (+) on the outside forward lower box. This is the center for drilling for the plug to be installed making it fit neatly in the corner. It's P-n-P from there,or not, if your luck follows rduran's...
CAUTION: These power ports are only rated at 5 amps. Will NOT run your Ghetto Blaster or Rocker Launcher.

Question for you guys, when you have the 12V plug mounted in the left cubby, and you plug ...say a GPS into it, what do you do with the wire, regarding the cubby door, ( leave the door open, or notch the edge so the wire will lay in the notch while the door is closed,) Just looking for something that works well, and is tried and trued !
Thanks

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I notched mine... not the greatest, I guess. I like the way my Concours 14 is... right on the dash. Thinking of doing that with the wing. Much better.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts

Won't run my rocket launcher??? What??? :cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
993 Posts
I know, I know... I had to add the extra battery, cables and stainless steel racks to make mine work... But it is handy for the cages that get too close! :yes1:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Routing 12 volt wire from left compartment

Question for you guys, when you have the 12V plug mounted in the left cubby, and you plug ...say a GPS into it, what do you do with the wire, regarding the cubby door, ( leave the door open, or notch the edge so the wire will lay in the notch while the door is closed,) Just looking for something that works well, and is tried and trued !
Thanks
Sept. 3, 2011
I have a 12 volt accessory in the left compartment and routed the wire for my gps right along side of the intercom cable. they both fit into the notch together.
Gordon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts